Do you act on suggestions made on Cruise Critic?

The only reason I ask is that I wonder how many people will be going straight to the dining room to check their table seating as soon as they board. There are lots of good suggestions made all the time but can I expect a huge amount of people all doing the same thing at the same time when we board because that is the way things are done?

I know that of the amount of people that cruise probably only a small percentage are on this board and from what I have read the first thing people do is check their dining room table assignment.

Just wondering if I will be fighting with the masses because of a good tip made on this board

Cheers

Pete

I don't know that going to the dining room will be my first stop. It depends on how much time I have. But I did learn here about making sure I'm on deck when the ship departs. I would never have thought of that without this board.

Oh, and the kind people on this board helped me make up my mind about which cruise to take. Of course, if I don't like it... Well let's just say that paybacks won't be pleasant. lol :D

The only reason I ask is that I wonder how many people will be going straight to the dining room to check their table seating as soon as they board. There are lots of good suggestions made all the time but can I expect a huge amount of people all doing the same thing at the same time when we board because that is the way things are done?

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

Yes, we will be checking out where we are going to have dinner. We will also check out the spa, go to the windjammer, and probably generally explore the whole ship before our luggage gets to our cabin.

Don’t get too concerned about the masses going the same place as you. It only takes a couple of minutes for us to check out where the dinner table is, then we are off to some other place on the ship;) .

Have a great time!

John

You won't be fighting with the masses. We checked our table assignment as soon as we boarded and there was only a few other couples doing the same. Most people onboard were either at the pool area or exploring the ship. Not everyone boards at the same time.

One of the best tips I discovered on this board was when someone mentioned there is a whirlpool that is located outside the changing rooms for the gym/saunas and it hardly ever gets used. On the first sea day the pool area was crowded so I went to check out this area and sure enough it was empty. We went there several times during the week and at most there was only one other person.

Also remember not everyone boards the ship at the same time. Besides the statistics are something around 1-2% of cruisers are on this board, So if you are on a ship with 3000 people only around 30 from that sailing know these tips from cc, though not saying that non-cc members don't do the same thing.

Actually the first thing we do is make our specialty restaurant reservations, the dining room is about 3rd on the list. :D

I usually go right at 1 or 2pm (when the dining room first opens for this). There is very few people then. I waited in line above 3 mins once and 6 mins another time, the rest of the time I was the only person in line.

As for the Spa you can phone from your room to make ressies. I usually go down and book in person as they have where we will be and when (port days are cheaper),

For the Speciality Resteraunts I book by phone the first day. I always ask when the formal nights are and Lobster night then book what I want.

Just wondering if I will be fighting with the masses because of a good tip made on this board

Pete, I wouldn't worry about that because only a very small percentage of cruisers are on the boards so your chances of not having a crowd will be fine.

btw...Even though I'm older I'm always learning new things on the boards...Isn't it fun!!:)

I know that of the amount of people that cruise probably only a small percentage are on this board and from what I have read the first thing people do is check their dining room table assignment.

Cheers

Pete

Understand that most cruiser never come near Cruise Critic.

And a lot of things that folks out here stress about the average cruiser don't even care about.

In my case I let my travel agent pick my table and have never been unhappy.

Of course my TA has been on over 100 RCI cruises so see knows just about every ship:)

Yes, I definitely take the knowledge and advice I have learned here on this board. My gosh, when I think about all that I have learned here, checking table, making specialty reservations first off, aft vs. hump cabins, etc. etc.

Yep, this board has been a ton of knowledge for me and FUN!

DH and I definitely follow the advice on the boards and have yet to be steered in the wrong direction. I don't post often...more of a lurker...I am addicted to reading the posts!!

When we board, here is our usual "To Do" list...

1) Get a drink!!

2) Grab Cruise Compass to see which night we want to dine at Chops or Portofino's

3) Make reservation at specialty restaturant

4)Check out dining room table assignment-BTW, we have never asked for a change but like to verify location etc

5) Find our cabin, meet our attendant and ask for egg crate-hopefully with new bedding this is a step we can skip

6) Roam ship, take photos

7) Attend Meet and Mingle or informal get together with friends from Cruise Critic

8) Verify Muster Drill time so we can be there on time

Ok, thanks for the help. Not really stressing. We have early seating and were hoping for a table for two so I just hoped I could see if that had been made possible when we got there. No worries though

Thanks to all

Also remember not everyone boards the ship at the same time. Besides the statistics are something around 1-2% of cruisers are on this board, So if you are on a ship with 3000 people only around 30 from that sailing know these tips from cc, though not saying that non-cc members don't do the same thing.

Actually the first thing we do is make our specialty restaurant reservations, the dining room is about 3rd on the list. :D

AND they have no idea what they are missing. :D

Some of the best tips I have received from this board are for making independent excursion reservations.

We have participated in some very nice excursions that were uncrowded with very personal service and at a much lower cost.

Thanks Cruise Critic!

I've learned so many things from CC over the years, plus have met some wonderful people along the way.

The one and only time we had to get a table change was when our reservations were not linked with our family and friends. Four different cabins (all in a row), we all had different tables, some (our kids!) had different times. We had an email confirming the link, so I don't know who dropped the ball, the TA or the ship personnel. The line was very long, but I think it was unusual, perhaps they had a computer malfunction that day.

Other than that, I don't bother looking for our table until I go to the first nights dinner.

While much can be learned from these boards, I think people need to remember the opinions are from individuals, with individual tastes and preferences. CC is a small community in comparison to how many cruise, but I think it represents a good cross-section of the cruising public. Also, many people never register and visit here as guests, so there really is no way to how many have been here for advice.

I certainly take CC suggestions into consideration, but do not follow every suggestion to a tee! If I did, I'd be bringing 3 suitcases with just for all the "stuff" I needed! For example I have never felt compelled to bring a bungee cord or an over the door shoe organizer. But I learned all about aft and hump cabins and specialty restaurants (probably would never have forked out the extra $$ for that on my own, but boy are we glad we tried them!).

But I do value the advise and have certainly learned lots. My DH often asks me how I knew about this or that. Well, I heard it on CC of course!

Oh my were do I start. I'm so glad I found this board and I just love it.

I have been reading post here before our 2003 cruise.

This boards cruisers have such a vast knowledge of on hand experiences and suggestion and ideas. There is No way that I would have ever known about a lot of things if I had not found this board and read and read and read and ask questions.

I have saved money, learned about hints, tips, cabin locations, shuttle services, port of call excurisions, the in's & out's of the ships, well I could just go on and on as to the things that have helped me on my cruises and ports from this board.

Thank you Cruise Critic and Cruise Critic Members

Marcy

I'm a newbie on CC and I'm hooked on it as part of my daily routines. I just have a question. Can you please explain the benefits/negatives on aft and hump cabins?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I enjoy getting this valuable knowledge from experienced cruisers. Someday I hope to be one of the people offering advice.

Doug

One of the first things we do when we board is to:

1. Get a foo-foo drink... maybe two.

2. Take care of little things... soda card (you're walking on and it's right there).

3. Dance to the band

4. Check out the dining room

5. Go to M&M informal meetings/find room and introduce ourselves to cabin steward.

6. Have fun

7. Have fun

8. Have fun

Of course, the foo-foo drinks on deck and the dancing go together.. :)

I've learned so much... my DH and DS ask me questions about this or that because they know that I have either read about it or won't be afraid to start a thread and ask...

Don't worry about masses... each time we've checked out the dining room, it was only us in there! We make it a game of sorts too... who can find the table number first gets a drink..

Have a great time.

D :)

I'm a newbie on CC and I'm hooked on it as part of my daily routines. I just have a question. Can you please explain the benefits/negatives on aft and hump cabins?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I enjoy getting this valuable knowledge from experienced cruisers. Someday I hope to be one of the people offering advice.

Doug

Humps are nearer the center and close to elevators and stairs plus they hang out over the water so you can see forward and aft views.

The Aft cabins have larger balconies, sometimes (Voyager class) have a bit of outer framework sticking out far from your balcony, they are a longer walk to the stairs and elevators.

Archived