How are Gay Couples treated on Straight cruises?

jason021771

Just back from a lovely 7-nighter on RCI's Brilliance of the Seas (UAE and Oman), and my partner and I had a wonderful time - never an issue, excellent and appropriate treatment from staff throughout, and several suprisingly cosy conversations with long-married older couples about the joys and challenges of being married! We went to the advertised FOD meetup and found a congenial bunch, although only one other gay couple (several other regulars just showed up because "you guys always have the best time!"). If anything, living in the Middle East, it was kind of startling, for example, to have the photographer keep trying to have us do much more "couple-y" photos than we would usually have done...

In any case, at least on RCI, there seem to be no issues at all (and lots of family staff, as it were, which was fun, too).

Treated the same as everyone else as far as I was concerned.

My partner and I just took our second cruise, a transatlantic on Celebrity Solstice and had a terrific time.

On one of our shore excursions we had lunch with several "straight" couples and we mentioned that we would be celebrating our 23rd anniversary that night in the Murano. During our dinner the waiter brought over a bottle of champagne and said it was from Mike, the husband of one of the couples we had lunch with.

That was class!

The next day while walking around the ship another couple congratulated us and said they thought it was wonderful to see us celebrating.:cool:

Joe and Ray

My partner and I were on the NCL Sky last October and we'll be on the Millennium next month. We were never uncomfortable on the Sky nor on any shore excursion (snorkeling in Freeport and Atlantis Aquaventure in Nassau). While we don't make out like teenagers, at least not in public, we do wear matching rings and (I think) are obviously a couple. No negative experiences to report.

As another poster said, our beds were not pushed together even though we requested one bed. I don't know how common that is or whether it was because the crew was unsure if we really meant one bed. We pushed them together ourselves and the proper bedding was put on before we even had a chance to ask for it. As with most situations, the crew knows they are working for your money (both your fare and their tips), so that will carry you a long way.

• 2 weeks later...

My personal experience is that attitudes on land have changed over the last 40 years, and the same is true on cruises. More specifically, I find that gay men and women are well accepted on the 25+ cruises I have been on, especially in the last 10 years. I try not to stereotype gay people, but we do seem to be a bit less inhibited and know have to have more fun than some other groups. Whether cruising with my partner or a friend, we have started hosting a last sea day room partyfor 12-15 people-5 so far. Just people we meet and like to hang around with

on the ship. Overall it has been about a 50/50 gay/straight mix. It just doesn't seem to be an issue and everyone has a great time. My best story was when a couple who shared our dining table took me aside and told me their son was a friend of dorothy. You never know.

Doug

My partner and I have never had any issues on a "mainstream" cruise. In fact, we celebrated our 16th anniversary on the Azamara Quest and were treated to a surprise! First, we were honored with a special anniversary cake presented at our table at dinner in Aqualina (one of the specialty restaurants), and then, when we returned to our suite, our butler had decorated the living room with red and pink balloons and home made paper hearts. Wonderful!

• 1 month later...

My parthner and I been travelling around the world during lasts years and never have any problem. We cruise with RCI and Costa, mainstream, and never ever get any bad look. Its true that we are very respetfull and dont make any affect expression in public, but i think it is not only for be gay, i really dont like straight people kissing like teens...

We always make friends and never care if they are gay or str8 :rolleyes:

We've always been out, and because there is a considerable (18 year) age gap between us we sometimes have to correct people who assume we are father and son. In many years of cruising we just had one experience where after the first evening, the three other (straight) couples at table never showed up the next evening. Waiter told us they had asked to be seated with friends from their church group but on my way out of the MDR I noticed they were at a table for six! It didn't stop me from being friendly, going out of my way to be friendly in fact, "yoo-hooing" and waving when i'd see them by the pool etc. Bottom line is it just didn't affect my enjoyment of the cruise at all. As my partner says: "well, it's their loss." :)

In many years of cruising we just had one experience where after the first evening, the three other (straight) couples at table never showed up the next evening.

In situations like that, it's usually tough to figure out precisely what happened.

Last week, we were seated at a six-top with two straight couples, retirees from Texas and a pastor (probably Baptist) and his wife. I was initially a bit wary, but we all seemed to hit it off.

By night two, pastor and wife were gone. Stated reason: they realized late seating was too late for them. We made friends with another male couple onboard, and three nights before disembarkation, we checked with the Texans and headwaiter, then invited the guys to fill the empty chairs. We introduced the guys to the Texans the next afternoon, but at dinner, the Texans were gone. Stated reason: they wanted to catch a show that conflicted. But they were missing the next, final night as well.

When we saw any of the four around the ship, they acted perfectly friendly. So were the stated reasons for absence true? Or did we gay the straights away from the table? Or were they overawed by my conversational brilliance? Or did they leave the table because I was a tiresome prat? Guess I'll never know, and will just have to bravely soldier on....

There were only 4 openly outly gay people on our last cruise a few weeks back - here in Aus - although there were 2,000 passengers

A meet up was advertised twice - the same 4, 2 girl couples turned up each time

People often judge a book by its cover - underneath there is a wealth of knowledge and fun - not many people have covered 30 countries by bus, train, truck or plane - ohhh and ship - many a story to be told - funny as....

Hoping all gay couples, wherever and whoever they are, are treatly evenly, as they should be - with no discrimination....:cool:

~~Iru~~

We've always been out, and because there is a considerable (18 year) age gap between us we sometimes have to correct people who assume we are father and son. In many years of cruising we just had one experience where after the first evening, the three other (straight) couples at table never showed up the next evening. Waiter told us they had asked to be seated with friends from their church group but on my way out of the MDR I noticed they were at a table for six! It didn't stop me from being friendly, going out of my way to be friendly in fact, "yoo-hooing" and waving when i'd see them by the pool etc. Bottom line is it just didn't affect my enjoyment of the cruise at all. As my partner says: "well, it's their loss." :)

HAHA! I love this! I am thinking my partner and I will face a similar story with our age difference.

Just a question...We are going on our first cruise and are a little concerned about how we will be treated since we are a gay couple and we are going on Liberty of the Seas in September.

Thanks for any help or suggestions..

Jason and Dwight

...We've had no anti-gay feelings on any of the cruises with the exception of our first steward on Celebrity giving off the vibe. We upgraded to a balcony for the 11 night Hawaii part of the cruise so it was no issue. On that cruise we also had some people in front of us turn around and give us death stares then drop out of the formal portrait queue. Losers.

Nothing since then. If anything we have found ourselves the centre of attention cos I lovvvvvvvvvvve to dance, my partner will talk to anyone and we like a drink or 10!

We don't cruise to hang out with other gay people, we do enough of that at home :D but if it happens like it did on our first cruise, we embrace it

Love cruising:)

we are not in your face at all but if the mood takes us and we want to dance together we will. if anyone has a problem with it then that's there problem, they're just jealous they don't have the rhythm :D

pete

My wife and I took our 1st cruise last year with our then one year old son on the Disney wonder... We also have a 16 year age gap... So a few people though she was my mom..lmaf ...Had no problems at all ..staff and guest super friendly...even made good friends with a mother/daughter combo . We did notice that are dinner partners changed to early dinner... Reason stated was because of there little ones... Our son eats late so it was nice to have a six seater to our selfs....going next monday on carnival... Hoping for the best..and looking forward to the FOD meeting.. As Disney did not have one. :)

We've been on NCL, Carnival, & RC...going on our 5th for Easter Break...

The only one we held back on our true colors a little was on NCL out of Charleston because it was a little redneck and it was our first cruise so we didn't know what to expect.

I wonder if their are any other ports that attract redneck/uneducated close minded people...I always wonder about Galveston or New Orleans.

Has anyone had experience going out of those ports?

As far as cruise line staff...We have never had a problem yet.

no, we are not the "in your face" gay couple. We too, find it inappropriate to "make out" in public, gay or straight. We are just somewhat concerned about our table mates and if being two men will stand out and draw negative attention.

Hi!

A reasonable question in a brave, new world (wife and I are hetero). I offer our candid comments.

I don't think you will have any problems so long as decorum is appropriate to the groups you are interacting with. This is for you to judge. Most crusers are pretty open, but do not want to see outlandish, flaming dress or PDA.

Last week a HAL gay cruse docked next to us. Several rainbow flags adorned the deck, so we we had a heads up prior to exiting the ship. What we saw was a sizable number of gays act in an inappropriate, sexual manner. Not all did, of course, but enough that I saw people cringe. I suspect at least some of this was to draw attention/shock others. This does not represent the image I believe you are trying to represent.

The point of my post is if a gay couple treats others with respect appropriate to their fellow travelers they will be warmly welcomed.

Happy cruising!

Hi!

A reasonable question in a brave, new world (wife and I are hetero). I offer our candid comments.

I don't think you will have any problems so long as decorum is appropriate to the groups you are interacting with. This is for you to judge. Most crusers are pretty open, but do not want to see outlandish, flaming dress or PDA.

Last week a HAL gay cruse docked next to us. Several rainbow flags adorned the deck, so we we had a heads up prior to exiting the ship. What we saw was a sizable number of gays act in an inappropriate, sexual manner. Not all did, of course, but enough that I saw people cringe. I suspect at least some of this was to draw attention/shock others. This does not represent the image I believe you are trying to represent.

The point of my post is if a gay couple treats others with respect appropriate to their fellow travelers they will be warmly welcomed.

Happy cruising!

Well, First off... Hi

Ive been on about ten ships or so..with my partner of 20yrs...we are both 46..so we have known each other for awhile..lol we dont really "look" gay.... we arent really into PDA's.. only been on one "gay" cruise which was a med cruise with Alantis...

We did get a bunch of hatefull looks and some catcall when we tried to dance together in the disco on the Grand Princess some years ago..enought that it made both of us uncomfortable even though we are "redneck" enough to hold our own...

But just last week on the Eclipse even we were surprised when we saw a young 20something gay couple making out in the main pool on the Eclipse. Out in the open..infront of the straights and their kids...

I felt two ways about it....

1. Good for them...Not being afraid to show who they are, remembering what it felt like to be "that much in love"

2. I kinda felt grossed out by it at he same time, especially when ol' boy started to clearly sport wood in his already skimpy suit...It left nothing to the imagination. I kept waiting and watching to see what would happen, but the ships people said and did nothing, and as far as I know the other passengers didnt do anything either..or maybe they did..and I just didnt hear them...at anyrate it was inappropriate whether they were gay or straight....but nobody caused a scene or beat them up or anything...

For what its worth the Eclipse was crawling with same sex couples the week we were onboard....

Archived