How are Gay Couples treated on Straight cruises?

jason021771

I agree with all of the other posts that you shouldn't have a problem on your cruise. We have met some neat people on our cruise (all straight couples). Hopefully one day we can cruise with a couple gay & lesbian couples! :) The staff on all of our past cruises were exceptional. Our only problem was our cabin steward on Voyager of the Seas. He was totally against us and it showed. However, the rest of the cabin stewards did not like him and were very gracious.

Gary

Funny we had the exact opposite treatment from our cabin steward on Monarch Of The Seas this past March. He was a really friendly Costa Rican guy (hot too) ... so personable and couldn't do enough for us. We both were kinda wondering if he was family -- was definitely being a little flirty too -- wish we pursued it a little more ! ;)

• 5 months later...
I am straight and am here mainly out of curiosity. I really feel bad for you guys because you have to worry about things like this. for the first time I put myself in your shoes. What a sad society we live in when people have to judge others like this.

In all honesty, my wife and I wouldn't be bothered in the least. Even though we may not be used to the gay community, you guys are people just like us. I've grown over the years to accept the gay community, not to ostracize them as being different.

I wish others would follow. Having to worry about what others may think should not be an item to worry about.

A lesson learned here is the story about the star bellied sneetches by Dr. Seuss. I forget the name of it, but the thesis behind the story is not to pass judgement on others.

Best of luck to you guys and hang in there. More power to you!

Hello John & Jen,

That is so nice of you to comment and step up to the plate defending your acceptance and curiosity of the gay community. We should have more people in the world like you and yours.

Cheers,

Rick

Hi, My partner and I will be on the December 24th Cruise. We are a May - Dec couple, and we are celebrating our 8th Anniversary together. We always get the looks due to our age difference.

Being this cruise my very first cruise ever, I was wondering if any other gay/lesbian couples taking this cruise would like to connect. My partner has cruised before, but has not been in one in ages. He thinks a lot has changed since last time he took a cruise.

I would appreciate any tips for a first time cruiser.

Cheers!

Hi, My partner and I will be on the December 24th Cruise. We are a May - Dec couple, and we are celebrating our 8th Anniversary together. We always get the looks due to our age difference.

Being this cruise my very first cruise ever, I was wondering if any other gay/lesbian couples taking this cruise would like to connect. My partner has cruised before, but has not been in one in ages. He thinks a lot has changed since last time he took a cruise.

I would appreciate any tips for a first time cruiser.

Cheers!

Check out the gay roll call section for your cruise. If you don't find it, start one. Heck even check out the (non gay) roll call for your cruise as well. You end up "meeting" other folks on the same cruise and create a friendship before you even arrive at the ship.

Just a question...We are going on our first cruise and are a little concerned about how we will be treated since we are a gay couple and we are going on Liberty of the Seas in September.

Thanks for any help or suggestions..

Jason and Dwight

I know this is a very old thread, but it is really sad you had to even think of this question. You would be very welcome at my table anyday!:p

We have cruised for many years as a couple. We have never had any problems. Heck we hold hands and even dance together when the mood comes over us. We have made many friends (all straight couples) and have even visited with them in their homes and had them visit us. Go, enjoy every second....let your light shine....we will be on the Feb. 3, 30 day Rotterdam round trip San Diego/Lima.....

Hi Sox Fan Cruiser:

Thanks so much for your reply.

Pardon my ignorance on this, what is a Roll Call? and where do I find one? and How can I start one?...

Go back out to the main boards page. In Special Interest Cruising go into the gay section again. At the top of the page is a link to the gay roll calls. Scroll through to find your cruise. The subject is usually the ship name and departure date. If you don't find it click on the start thread button.

For the main roll call go back out to the boards section again. There is a section called Roll Calls. Drill down by cruise line then by ship. Then again search for your departure date. Don't be overwhelmed as this section may have hundreds of posts already. Just report in that you're on the cruise and need to catch up on the post and enjoy the discussion!

Hi,

I am a straight female and checked this thread out of curiosity.

My two cents are ... I believe the times have changed and people are more accepting of gay and lesbian community. And it will only change for the better.

To give you an example, my high school son has a classmate who is lesbian. Both my son and she belong to the same circle of friends. I know that she was "out" at least since last year (8th grade, middle school). This year this girl came with a date (another girl) to a homecoming dance. I asked my son if that was an issue and he said that there was no issue at all - neither with the school nor with other kids. I cannot imagine this scenario playing out when I was growing up.

I know sometimes you experience the "look" or unkind comment. But I would like you to consider that some of it comes from ignorance and/or from the way the society used to be (thus the past influencing the future) and not from being "anti-gay".

Here is another example. Last year my son and I were waiting our turn in the hair salon. He was telling me a story during which he quite loudly proclaimed: "This is so gay!". I was mortified. The owner of the salon, who was cutting hair several feet away from us, is gay and so is our hair stylist!!!

I told him that what he said was inappropriate and especially offensive to two men working in the salon. He asked me how do I know for sure that they are gay. I knew that our hairstylist was gay because he and I talked about it and I guessed that the owner was gay because there were some signs pointing to it. (Neither man presented themselves as a "stereotypical gay"). To end the argument, I said something to the effect that most if not all of the men hairstylist are gay. At that point my son told me that it was pretty judgmental of me to think that all hair stylists are gay.

My point is, that sometime people say or do stuff not because they prejudge, but because they repeat the behavior they have seen before. My son said something inappropriate (without meaning to be offensive) because he probably have heard it (many times) before in school from other kids. On the other hand, he reminded me not to use stereotypes to judge others.

I would like not be thought of as (a likely) homophob because I am straight as much as you don't want to be judged as (insert derogatory/unkind words here) because you are gay. And... I really hope is that some day the threads like this one would become a distant history.

Until about 2 weeks ago I would have said that I prefer only going on all gay cruises. I've been on 4 Atlantis charters and loved them.

I went on my first "regular" cruise back in March of 2008. It was with a group of 6 and we had a great time. We danced together in the night club and never had any issues from anyone. The boat was full of Spring Breakers and it was a lot of fun.

My friend and I (not a couple) went on the Epic this past October (Western med cruise) and I was a little worried because it wasn't a gay cruise and we were not with a big group of friends. But we went to FOD gathering on the first night and met several people. The attendance of those mixers picked up throughout the week and we ended up meeting a ton of new friends with whom we hung out with for the entire week.

The staff, bartenders, and our cabin steward were ALL very nice and attentive. We never once felt like there was an issue or anti-gay feelings.

It was funny because although we are not a couple, my friend and I were together most of the time. And whenever we would be walking we would get "the look" and "the knowing smile" from just about everyone from staff members to other passengers. In fact, a lot of European men (who were with their families) seemed to be cruising us which really surprised (and flattered!) us. We just chalked it up to Europeans just being more open to different people.

So overall I would say that gay couples/groups really have nothing to fear about sailing on "regular" cruises. In fact, after the incredible experience we had on my last cruise, I am seriously reconsidering ever paying double/triple just to go on an all gay charter again (after the Jan. 2012 trip which has already been paid for).

In my experience there's no such thing as a "straight" cruise - even in 1991 there was plenty of family on the (late and lamented) Norway, including my partner and me, and we had no problems, met lots of nice people, didn't hide our couple-ness at all, and had a....wait for it....gay old time!! :p sorry, couldn't pass that one up.

It's been the same on every cruise since - in fact, the only people who ever gave us the stink eye were other gay people...but we were interracial, and that's another thread entirely. I've seen same-sex couples dancing in the disco of every ship I've sailed.

Live it up, and don't worry.

My partner and I have always gone on "straight" cruises the ideal of being on an exclusive gay cruise frightens us, two to four thousand gay men is not ideal for us. We like meeting new people from all over the world. We have never had any issues from China, Europe or the United States.

When with family member's we have always been introduced as a couple the room attends has never questions our beds being put together, we have alway been treated with respect.

Go on the cruise and enjoy yourselves don't worry about what other people think you might come across people who don't like but who cares.

Hi; was wondering if anyone here will be on the Norwegian Spirit leaving New Orleans on November 27? My partner and I will be and would like to meet others for dinner or shore excursions. Thanks!

I see you found the G&L Roll Calls :)

Just got back from a 4 nighter on the NCL Sky, and had another amazing time!! The straits loved us! We met a lot of great people in the MDR and they were all coming up to us throughout the rest of the cruise....

Frankly, if you are friendly to people, they'll be friendly back....

;)

We have been on a large number of cruises and have never once felt uncomfortable or mistreated. We are a mixed age couple together over 5 years. I think most people do not care if we are gay or str8. Im not a pda kind of person any way, so at most we might hold hands briefly in a theater or dinner.

The only thing that we have encountered is not having the beds pushed together despite asking at booking. I think the stewards see two male names for the room and assume separate beds are needed. Celebrity is the only line that has had the bed ready upon boarding.

Thanks for all the responses. I am feeling relaxed now about the cruise. Hopefully we can meet other couples onboard and have drinks and conversations with.

I just got back from my first cruise and we had many GLBT members there. I am a married conservative straight woman (who is not REPUBLICAN because my views on gay marriage deviate as I believe love is love - and should be respected as such!). And I must say I was DELIGHTED to see everyone hanging out and so comfortable aboard the ship! I actually made it to the Friends of Dorothy meet ups on 2 nights and enjoyed talking to the couples there!

I dont think you will have a problem. I never directly saw any issues other passengers were having - but I will say that one lady on carnival's board was obsessing over the transgendered people being aboard. She felt it was inappropriate for a cruise with her 11yr old. To me - an 11yr old is a perfectly acceptable age to explain it to and teach a lesson of love and acceptance but...well I guess to each their own. I do not think she voiced this directly on the ship however (god I hope not!).

Cruise with your love - enjoy yourselves!: )

• 3 weeks later...

I've been laid up with a cold and dreaming about our cruise next month and been having a dig around the site while my husband is at the theatre. Tis question never entered my head (might be because we're Brits and over here if anyone had a problem it would be well and truly their problem, not ours!!!)

We've been together nearly 23 years, and married (well civilly partnered for the last few) and can't think we've ever had a problem when we've been on holiday. We do choose where to go, so Jamaica / Dubai etc aren't on our agenda - and I'd imagine we'd run a mile from a few US states!

But the recurring theme here is that people are there for a holiday (or as some of you call it, a vacation) and it's time to let your guard down and enjoy yourselves seeing new things and meeting new people, so enjoy and if anything does happen, always be good LGBT ambassadors!

• 2 weeks later...

My partner and I have been on 5 cruises together in the last 2.5 years. They have all been mainstream cruises and we always go to the Friends of Dorothy or l.g.b.t. meetings.

Our being gay seems to not be an issue to the straight people. We select the Anytime Dining option and have always had a wonderful time meeting the other passengers. On most of these cruises, we have found that our best friends end up being a straight couple. This has been a pleasant experience for us. The world really is changing for the good in some ways!

Dale:)

Just got back from a 4 nighter on the NCL Sky, and had another amazing time!! The straits loved us! We met a lot of great people in the MDR and they were all coming up to us throughout the rest of the cruise....

Frankly, if you are friendly to people, they'll be friendly back....

;)

Hi MiamiSpartan: What is the meaning of MDR? I'm new to this, just trying to learn.

Thanks.

Anurnutah59

my partner and I went on our first cruise last year. most people thought we were brothers! just because we are both unusually tall does not mean we are related :D. we had a great time and are looking forward to our second cruise in January.

Archived