Glow Worm Caves

margord

Has anyone done the Glow Worm Cave in NZ. I am thinking of booking it through Princess. Any comments or advice?

The glow worm cames at Waitomo are well worth the drive. They are well maintained and presented. The best part of the tour is when you get into dinghys and row through an underground lake in the pitch dark.

well recommended....

Just know that you will walk on dark, sometimes slippery walkways. AND the day we were there, there had been heavy rains and the flooding meant that the dingys didn't run. So, while we enjoyed seeing the caves, the long ride to them wasn't worth it without the full experience.

Just know that you will walk on dark, sometimes slippery walkways. AND the day we were there, there had been heavy rains and the flooding meant that the dingys didn't run. So, while we enjoyed seeing the caves, the long ride to them wasn't worth it without the full experience.

So how long is the ride?

So how long is the ride?

not sure if you mean how long was the ride in the caves rather than the 3 odd hour drive to them from auckland.....but you have about 1/2 hour to 3/4 hour in the boat in the caves and about an hour in them is adequate. My experience of the caves is a bit different from Spengles..I was back there about 1 year ago and the paths were very well lit and not at all slippery. There are pleanty of handrails and it was very well set up. Maybe it has been renovated since they were there?

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant how long does it take to get to the caves from Aukland. But knowing the length of the tour is helpful too. So thank you both.

Marilee

Its about a 3 hour drive given time to exit the big city jams, if you are out on the fringe of Auckland it can be quicker, but as a visitor expect to have some issues with the route as its quite involved. Can also be visited from Tauranga and its a nicer drive and less congested, allow 2.5 hours each. Could visit Hobbiton on the way or even still do Rotorua if you wanted, a bit of a circular trip but a great day out. Self drive is OK if you are used to left side driving but NZ drivers are not the best so watch out and be carefull. Regards

Its about a 3 hour drive given time to exit the big city jams, if you are out on the fringe of Auckland it can be quicker, but as a visitor expect to have some issues with the route as its quite involved. Can also be visited from Tauranga and its a nicer drive and less congested, allow 2.5 hours each. Could visit Hobbiton on the way or even still do Rotorua if you wanted, a bit of a circular trip but a great day out. Self drive is OK if you are used to left side driving but NZ drivers are not the best so watch out and be carefull. Regards

Thanks for the information. We are planning to do this tour through Princess on a pre-cruise tour.

Archived