Fairbanks/Chena Hot Springs

Lyonaround

We were thinking about renting a car while in Fairbanks and check out the Chena Hot Springs, Ice museum and ice bar. Has any one been there and is it worth the trip?. Any other places to visit for a day trip? :)

We were thinking about renting a car while in Fairbanks and check out the Chena Hot Springs, Ice museum and ice bar. Has any one been there and is it worth the trip?. Any other places to visit for a day trip? :)

I have been there, and yes it is worth it, if you have the time. Take an old bathing suit that you don't care about if you go in the springs. Tends to turn funkly colors. :)

There are plenty of day trips to consider out of Fairbanks and seeing the city itself. Excellent are the fly/shuttle Arctic Circle tours. Also some flying to remote areas, I've gone on several cargo flights, a whole different look at remoteness. :)

Thanks for the information. We only have one day and thought about driving to the Artic Circle ourselfs, but from what I understand, it will take about 14 hrs to get there and back and not all rental cars are allowed on the Dalton highway. We will have all the next day to visit the Fairbanks through out cruise tour.

Thanks for the information. We only have one day and thought about driving to the Artic Circle ourselfs, but from what I understand, it will take about 14 hrs to get there and back and not all rental cars are allowed on the Dalton highway. We will have all the next day to visit the Fairbanks through out cruise tour.

Actually none of the major rental car companies allow driving the Dalton, there is one independent that does.

If you are interested in the Arctic circle, the fly/shuttle tours are just excellent. Not sure of your "all day" with the cruisetour, but if you are free the next day, I would definately keep the car, since Fairbanks isn't easy to get around the scattered attractions.

Archived