Outlet Stores in Florence

Who has been?? I live in Los Angeles where there is a sale every day and we have access to several outlet malls and big dept. stores.......

so is this an experience not to be missed, or can I get the same things at home for 1/2 the price.......

Well, the real outlet stores are not in Florence, but rather located well outside the city. However, Florence does have an interesting outdoor market (within walking distance to everything in the main part of town) that is fun. You can also find some genuine "leather factories" that offer some pretty decent prices on leather jackets, but there are also a hundred+ leather stores that are not real factories. You need to understand the the US dollar has lost more than 50% of its value against the Euro (since the good ole days) and that Italy has a VAT tax of about 20% (think like a 20% sales tax except VAT taxes are worse). Yes, you can part of that VAT tax refunded if you buy enough and go through the process, but do not expect too many bargains. Although I am a guy (which means I hate shopping) if you are going to shop, my advice is look for unique things such as art and crafts or clothes that you cannot find in CA.

Hank

Beth, You might find some unique styles not available in the US at Gucci, Prada etc. I am from the NY area and shop on Fifth Ave all the time. I am leaving for the med. this week. I hope to catch the July salde, and save SOME money. However, not a bundle...perhaps 15-20%. Remember the outlets have things that are NOT current. If you must have the new edition...forget the outlets. I have been and have never bought anything. I did price a new Gucci purse I liked last week and if it is cheaper, I will buy it, otherwise I will buy it at home and NOT have to carry it back and declare it at customs.

Karen

The outlets are pretty far outside Florence and if you aren't on some kind of tour you will need a driver. IMHO, I wouldn't bother. Why would you go to Florence to buy that seasons' old purse or odd color designer dress? You will be better off with the sales at Saks.

well you have all validated what I thought. But I wanted to ask, rather than assume.......

I really don't want to even go to Florence, we are planning to go to San Gimiginano and Siena instead.

I'm not the most cultured and would prefer the ambiance of a tucked away town and a lovely drive through the county.

We were in Florence for three days around Epiphany. We hired a driver and spent a lovely day at the outlets at Montevarchi (sp?). The prices were fairly good but the crowds were big. In addition the big Gucci store in Florence was also having a sale and their mdse was nicer than what we found at the outlets. Prada was the best outlet of the bunch, followed by Tods. (Just my opinion.) I had just bought a Gucci purse in Chicago on Michigan Avenue in Decemeber. They had my purse in the main Gucci store, not on sale, but I still would have saved money - even with the exchange rate. I'd say 20% is about right as far as the savings and that is assuming that I filed and received a refund on the VAT.

The 2nd full day that we were in Florence we hired another driver and visited a winery and Siena. That was also a nice way to spend time.

This has me very excited! Up here in Toronto, we have outlets but not too many designer ones. I've seen Florence before, this time we are going to the Uffizi in the morning and The Mall in the afternoon. We may not have time to go to Prada :( but nonetheless, this will be an experience! :p

Archived