just got back-so beautiful!!!

rclcruzer

Thanks for the interesting post! My dh and I will be going in September and I have two questions:

The tram that you mentioned in Juneau...is it easily accessible for someone who has difficulties walking a long distance? My dh uses a cane and we are looking for activities that he can enjoy without putting too much strain on him.

Also, I read on another post that there is a tour that offers the train up the white pass and takes a bus back. But in my tour packet that came in the mail it doesn't specifically mention that. It was offered by the Chilkoot Charter I believe. I want to book either the two way train, or the train/bus option and think I'd prefer the latter since some people have said the train trip can be a bit boring. But does anyone know if the bus part of the return trip would be hard for my husband, and also how to find it? It isn't listed in the packet so does that mean I can only sign up for it once we get to Skagway?

Any info would be much appreciated!

Hi,

yes the tram is a short distance from the dock and is easily accessible for you DH. We had a lady with a can right next to us on the way back down.

It's a great way to spend an hour, it's beautiful once you get up there.

Unfortunatley have no info on the train or train bus. I did hear from several people that the train was a bit boring, especially for teens. (which we have so we skipped it.) I'm sure if you post your question you will get further insight on what to do.

Have a great trip!

• 4 weeks later...

balcony on starboard side is the only way to go:D

Lisa

Hi! Thanks for all the great info!!

We are thinking about the round trip Serenade of the Seas for Aug 08 -- just curious - why do you recommend starboard in particular? What cabin did you have? A lot of other posts recommend port side, so that's why I'm asking!!

Thanks!

Cheryl

with a round-trip it won't really matter, views on both sides going up and coming back down. but for glacier bay and some of the other glacier viewing you want the port side. you can do a search on that and find out why. but that's only if you are planning on spending your glacier viewing on your balcony.

with a round-trip it won't really matter, views on both sides going up and coming back down. but for glacier bay and some of the other glacier viewing you want the port side. you can do a search on that and find out why. but that's only if you are planning on spending your glacier viewing on your balcony.

• 5 months later...

rclcruzer~you mention one of your family members did the ISP "Halibut Fishing" excursion. Do you think you could elaborate a bit on that? My husband and friend have that excursion booked and we are wanting to get a bit more info on it. Good fishing, worth the cost, etc?

We are booked on The Serande for Jun 7th, 2008. We've never been to Alaska before so getting all the helpful info from this forum is a life saver! Thank you for your post.

We are also booked for the Photo Safari tour in Juneau, did you hear anyone that went on that. (I did a search and found some post on it)? Kinda bummed that there won't be time for the Salmon bake because our Photo Safari last 4 hrs and 45 min. Really no time to do anything else.

Now if I could just find some cheaper airfare to Vancouver!?!?

Thanks for the info! :)

rclcruzer~you mention one of your family members did the ISP "Halibut Fishing" excursion. Do you think you could elaborate a bit on that? My husband and friend have that excursion booked and we are wanting to get a bit more info on it. Good fishing, worth the cost, etc?

We are booked on The Serande for Jun 7th, 2008. We've never been to Alaska before so getting all the helpful info from this forum is a life saver! Thank you for your post.

We are also booked for the Photo Safari tour in Juneau, did you hear anyone that went on that. (I did a search and found some post on it)? Kinda bummed that there won't be time for the Salmon bake because our Photo Safari last 4 hrs and 45 min. Really no time to do anything else.

Now if I could just find some cheaper airfare to Vancouver!?!?

Thanks for the info! :)

We are also interested as my SIL & DD want to Halibut Fish in Icy Strait Point.

By the way, keep your eyes out now for lower prices. The rate just went down Today from PHL to YVR....oh course we bought last week when they dropped but we were nervous waiting as we had 2 Companion Tickets that saved our group a bunch & we were afraid that there was a limit on companion ticket seats as they have on frequent flyer seats.

Thanks for the interesting post! My dh and I will be going in September and I have two questions:

The tram that you mentioned in Juneau...is it easily accessible for someone who has difficulties walking a long distance? My dh uses a cane and we are looking for activities that he can enjoy without putting too much strain on him.

I know this question was asked last summer, but thought I would post an answer here just in case anyone uses the search feature.

In Sep 06 we took the Alaska cruise and got tickets for the tram. It was approximately a 2 or 3 block walk from the ship on flat surface. My friend is in a wheelchair that went with us.

The entrance to the tram area is slightly inclined, but an easy walk. They let her on the tram first and it was easy to wheel her on. Once up on the mountain, she wheeled right off. The area into the gift shop is a ramp and there is an elevator to get to the lower level to see the video on the area. There were a few places (trails) she could not have gone on, but the viewing area on top was accessible as was the shops.

I have an extreme fear of heights. The tram was large (held about 40 people I believe) and the ride was so smooth, no jerking at all. I don't remember any seating on the tram. Glad I went, the view was gorgeous.

The ticket for the tram is good all day long, so you can use it numerous times during the day. It is suppose to be beautiful at night with all of the lights.

Archived