just got back-so beautiful!!!

rclcruzer

Hi all,

Just got home from our alaska cruise on Serenade of the Seas. 16 of us in the group, and all made it through with little drama :o We had a great time, seeing as how it was our first time. The most beautiful scenery I have ever seen in my life! The captain really went the distance during Hubbard Glacier day and went up to about a 1/2 mile out, with an abundant amount of "mini" icebergs and lots of ice to navigate around. But he did it and it was awesome!

A few times even felt the larger "bergs" bang up against the underpart and sides of the ship......very exciting and beautiful at the same time! Some of the crew I spoke with said the previous captain from a few weeks ago would not get that close. Guess we were lucky. There were 2 ships waiting to go in, (one ship at a time with all that ice) and I heard one ship got almost half way up and the other ship did not even want to try... turned around and left!)

Went to Icy strait Point, Skagway and Juneau. Did not book any excursions before we left, had pretty good luck anyway getting the ones our kids wanted. Have fun all you soon to be alaska cruisers! You will love it, it was a sight to see!

p.s by all means, don't forget your binochulars and camera!! We saw about 7 whales alone just from our balcony!

Any questions? just ask me !:D

Hey there, we are on the last Serenade sailing for the season in September. Just wondering about small things. The onboard movie theatre, anything interesting playing? Nightly entertainment that was different from the norm [whatever the norm would be!] Also, which excursions did you do. We are looking at the White Pass Railroad and probably take ourselves up on the cable car in Juneau but thats about it.

Cheers

Pete:D

luciewestie,

You will love all the beauty! I personally did not go to the movies, but my 3 kids did (12, 14, and 17). They saw Pirates of the caribbean 2, and Taladega nights. My DH wanted to do the White Pass in Skagway, but heard from a couple on board that they did it once and were a bit bored. So, him and his Dad (my father in law) went on a whim and booked a bus tour through the city and up a ways in the hills. Klondike was on the route and got off the bus and took some beautiful pic's of waterfalls and other scenery. He said he learned alot and got up close to things the train would not let you do. ( I was not feeling well that day so I went back to the ship early, it was a cute town though! Dont forget to peek your head in the red onion saloon in the middle of town! )

My daughter and I took the wheeled cart dog sled and mushers camp excursion, is was fun. The ride was too short, but the dogs were awesome and got to hold a couple of 5 week old pups. My DH and 2 boy's went halibut fishing in Icy Strait Point, had a good time, should be getting the fish here soon! My DD and some other family members just shopped at a couple little stores off the ship and then went to "The Office Bar", a GREAT crab house, recommended by our travel agent, best crab I have ever had hands down with a great atmosphere. Really fun ! (umm.....i'm thinking!).... oh yea, in Juneau....My 2 boy's went with some other family members on the canoe/glacier trip and had an awesome time, while myself, DH and DD went shopping, had lunch (red dog saloon to crowded unfortunatley, at a a little place and had some crab and salad) and then up the tram we went and I'm soooo glad we did! It was so beautiful being up that high and looking so far down on your ship! We took a 1.5 mile hike far up on one of the marked trails that landed us in some fun big patches of snow. We saw and heard beautiful waterfalls and saw vibrant flowers along the way up the mountain. We were really high up, it was breathtaking. Got to see a bald eagle on display, he was injured a few years ago so they keep him up there and take care of him. (tip box and guy talking about the eagle....)

Skip the restaraunt, over priced and you have to wait up to 45 minutes to get your food! YIKES! Big gift shop and then back down you go! Well worth the 25 bucks! On the way down a Bald eagle was flying right next to our tram! I think it's perfect if you are not doing a big excursion. We only had from 11 - 2:30, we docked at 7:00am, but we like to sleep (we are on vacation!!) So by the time we got off the ship we really only had 3 hours. I think that's about it, anything I forgot?

Let me know! :D

Hi all,

Just got home from our alaska cruise on Serenade of the Seas. 16 of us in the group, and all made it through with little drama :o We had a great time, seeing as how it was our first time. The most beautiful scenery I have ever seen in my life! The captain really went the distance during Hubbard Glacier day and went up to about a 1/2 mile out, with an abundant amount of "mini" icebergs and lots of ice to navigate around. But he did it and it was awesome!

A few times even felt the larger "bergs" bang up against the underpart and sides of the ship......very exciting and beautiful at the same time! Some of the crew I spoke with said the previous captain from a few weeks ago would not get that close. Guess we were lucky. There were 2 ships waiting to go in, (one ship at a time with all that ice) and I heard one ship got almost half way up and the other ship did not even want to try... turned around and left!)

Went to Icy strait Point, Skagway and Juneau. Did not book any excursions before we left, had pretty good luck anyway getting the ones our kids wanted. Have fun all you soon to be alaska cruisers! You will love it, it was a sight to see!

p.s by all means, don't forget your binochulars and camera!! We saw about 7 whales alone just from our balcony!

What size of binoculars did you use? How close were the whales, did you need your binoculars to see them well? Glad you had a great time, I am looking forward to my cruise in September.

Hi all,

hey- I was way too busy doing laundry yesterday to even get near the 'puter!!

I second EVERYTHING said above- we did some of the same excursions and some different ones- my DH and DS did the Canapy tour in Juneau and said it was the very best!!! I LOVED the way that everyone in the ports was so nice and informational!!!! No matter if you were taking the 2 min shuttle back to the ship in Junuea- you learned something!!!! The salmon bake in JU was great also- could have spent a couple of hours there but Mom needed to do more shopping!!!!:rolleyes:

My FAV- but only by a hair- was Skagway- the parade was so cool!!! the whole town was there and it was so much fun to see- then went rock climbing and rapelling- WOW is that a great experience!!!!

I also heard people say that the train is great if you are older and not active- but NOT for kids or people who like to move around and see stuff up close- speaking of which the bergs that we hit on the way out of the bay- MAN that was a surreal :eek: experience!!! When the sun came out on the calving started- I can still hear that booming and cracking- it was so cool!!!

balcony on starboard side is the only way to go....Now- where is my waiter?!?!?!?!?!:D

Lisa

Was the Crab place in Icy Strait Point?

Although you can get very nice crab in the resturant @ ISP- the Office Bar is on the road to Hoonah on the rt side- looks seedy but is good?- it is right on the ourskirts of town- you can take a shuttle or walk it- not really that far- we just didnt have the time... but the rest. right at the pier was very good and not that much $$$ my DS had a great burger!

Lisa

Welcome home. Glad you had a wonderful Alaskan cruise.

We were fortunate last year to get close to Hubbard Glacier as well.

thanks! Yea, it was crazy being in all that ice etc!!!!!!!!!!

Was the Crab place in Icy Strait Point?

yes.....take the shuttle, it's in hoonah on the right....looks like a dive, but fun and such good crab!!!! at least 15 other cruisers in there.....

try it!!!

What size of binoculars did you use? How close were the whales, did you need your binoculars to see them well? Glad you had a great time, I am looking forward to my cruise in September.

hi,

well, we had 4 pairs, ranging from 8x12 to 12x21? the ones that were around

$100 were the best. As you can tell, that was my hubby's department! I do know that the 10 and 12 mag the best. Yes, you pretty much needed the binochs to see the whales. I hope you enjoy your cruise, It's so icredibly beautiful!

hey- I was way too busy doing laundry yesterday to even get near the 'puter!!

I second EVERYTHING said above- we did some of the same excursions and some different ones- my DH and DS did the Canapy tour in Juneau and said it was the very best!!! I LOVED the way that everyone in the ports was so nice and informational!!!! No matter if you were taking the 2 min shuttle back to the ship in Junuea- you learned something!!!! The salmon bake in JU was great also- could have spent a couple of hours there but Mom needed to do more shopping!!!!:rolleyes:

My FAV- but only by a hair- was Skagway- the parade was so cool!!! the whole town was there and it was so much fun to see- then went rock climbing and rapelling- WOW is that a great experience!!!!

I also heard people say that the train is great if you are older and not active- but NOT for kids or people who like to move around and see stuff up close- speaking of which the bergs that we hit on the way out of the bay- MAN that was a surreal :eek: experience!!! When the sun came out on the calving started- I can still hear that booming and cracking- it was so cool!!!

balcony on starboard side is the only way to go....Now- where is my waiter?!?!?!?!?!:D

Lisa

hey there!

where is my waiter is right!! Better yet, where are my chocolates on my pillow!

Yea, Skagway was cool, unfortuatley I was under the weather that day, so after my mushers camp/sledding I went back to the ship and went to bed.

But the old town 4th festivities was like a trip back in time huh??

My Brother in law and his son went rock climb. repelling and had a blast too! The only thing that bothered me on the entire cruise was that we only had until 2:30 in Juneau, the best port to stay all day in my opinion! And I believe we actually passed it at one time to get to ISP I think???

Anyway, that totally bummed me out, other people were saying the same thing. All the other ships in port were there until 8:00p. LUCKY!!

Glad I'm back, we will probably do Alaska in about 10 more years, I loved it to death, but I really want to do the Mediterranean!!!!

Jayme

Hey there, we are on the last Serenade sailing for the season in September. Just wondering about small things. The onboard movie theatre, anything interesting playing? Nightly entertainment that was different from the norm [whatever the norm would be!] Also, which excursions did you do. We are looking at the White Pass Railroad and probably take ourselves up on the cable car in Juneau but thats about it.

Cheers

Pete:D

I find this amusing. Here you're visiting one of the most beautiful places in the world and you're worried about what's playing in the movie theater? When we visit Alaska the last place you'll find us is watching a movie.

I guess I should have phrased it a bit better. We are on board for 13 nights at the end of the season. So once we have left Alaska we will be cruising down the western seaboard. Would be nice to relax and watch a movie late at night...[emphasis on late, not during the day, we will be on deck getting hand cramps from holding the binoculars!]

Hi Jayme

Where did you do the wheeled dog cart trip - was it Skagway? - and did you book it via the ship?

Who was the Captain of the Serenade during your cruise? We are going from San Francisco to Vancouver next May on the Serenade and I can't wait.

Many thanks

Gill

Hi Jayme

Where did you do the wheeled dog cart trip - was it Skagway? - and did you book it via the ship?

Who was the Captain of the Serenade during your cruise? We are going from San Francisco to Vancouver next May on the Serenade and I can't wait.

Many thanks

Gill

Hi- Not Jayme but can answer a little- we did the mushers camp in Juneau at Sheep Creek thru the ship- it was a very realistic exp but we were the first group and that was when it was raining- so it was a little uncomfortable- but still great! we did book thru the ship- they were right there to pick us up and we got a great tour from the driver about the mines that we were passing the whole way up!! Like 2 tours in one...

The first name of the capt is Thomas Till-something...? but his last name escapes me- but one night we were in front of our rooms on deck nine and i wanted to take a pic of my mom and dh in front of some art work, so i was blocking the hallway... my DH starts saying :"The capt is coming, the capt is coming"- ok me having been married to him 15 yrs figures that he is joking and I ignore him- 10 secs later the capt excuses himself as he walks by me!!! RED FACE:eek: !!

I cant say enough greats things about this trip- but wont bore you any more...:D

Hi Lisa

Many thanks for that - very useful info - we would love to do the husky trip if it fits around our already planned whale watching in Juneau. What sort of time scale did the husky trip take?

thanks once again

Gill

Hi Jayme

Many thanks

Gill

Hi Gill,

Yes, the wheeled dog cart, in Skagway. booked through the ship the night before! Got lucky, but had to split the times between our fam. My DD and I at one time and my DH and 2 sons earlier. $114 for us, 2 1/2 hours long. The only thing that was a bummer was that the ride itself was only about 3-5 minutes with a 2 minute break in between, but still worth it, the dogs are awesome and the puppies were too cute!

Have fun!

Hi Jayme

Many thanks

Gill

forgot to answer the second part, pacthepuppies has it right, the captain was Thomas Till something! Can't remember his last name either! I'm so bad....

The Serenade is very pretty, there are windows and glass everywhere, really great. You can even see outside the elevators to the ocean.

The lobby centrum bar is really fun and a great place to meet and mingle.

I find this amusing. Here you're visiting one of the most beautiful places in the world and you're worried about what's playing in the movie theater? When we visit Alaska the last place you'll find us is watching a movie.

How rude.

forgot to answer the second part, pacthepuppies has it right, the captain was Thomas Till something! Can't remember his last name either! I'm so bad....

The Serenade is very pretty, there are windows and glass everywhere, really great. You can even see outside the elevators to the ocean.

The lobby centrum bar is really fun and a great place to meet and mingle.

Thanks for that Jayme - We would need to do the dog sledding in Juneau as we want to do a bus/rail trip in Skagway which will take up virtually all the day.

We have a whale watching trip planned for Juneau but hopefully will be able to fit the two excursions in on the same day.

The Serenade sounds wonderful and we are very excited about the trip.

Thanks once again

Gill

Hi Lisa

Many thanks for that - very useful info - we would love to do the husky trip if it fits around our already planned whale watching in Juneau. What sort of time scale did the husky trip take?

thanks once again

Gill

hey- we went first, as I said, and it took about 2 1/2 hours. You dont get a long ride as they say that it is actually too HOT for the puppies to do prolonged running!! We left at 8 am and got back to the dock at 10:30 ish... later times may take longer as there may be people backed up in front of you, etc...

Thanks for that Jayme - We would need to do the dog sledding in Juneau as we want to do a bus/rail trip in Skagway which will take up virtually all the day.

We have a whale watching trip planned for Juneau but hopefully will be able to fit the two excursions in on the same day.

The Serenade sounds wonderful and we are very excited about the trip.

Thanks once again

Gill

you are very welcome!

Thanks for the interesting post! My dh and I will be going in September and I have two questions:

The tram that you mentioned in Juneau...is it easily accessible for someone who has difficulties walking a long distance? My dh uses a cane and we are looking for activities that he can enjoy without putting too much strain on him.

Also, I read on another post that there is a tour that offers the train up the white pass and takes a bus back. But in my tour packet that came in the mail it doesn't specifically mention that. It was offered by the Chilkoot Charter I believe. I want to book either the two way train, or the train/bus option and think I'd prefer the latter since some people have said the train trip can be a bit boring. But does anyone know if the bus part of the return trip would be hard for my husband, and also how to find it? It isn't listed in the packet so does that mean I can only sign up for it once we get to Skagway?

Any info would be much appreciated!

Archived