QUICK ADVICE for WASH & OREG

Mike & I just today booked Sun Princess for Aug 26 and now trying to decide on when to fly up & back == we've never been to Washington & Oregon!! Looking at flying out a week ahead and maybe staying for couple days after cruise.

Another alternative is to fly directly back to TN when cruise ends and we can get a 1:05 PM non-stop to Nashville on Sun Sept 2 -- how long does it take to drive from Princess pier to SEA airport -- & what's best to use: a taxi or Princess transfer or something else?

Any advice on where to go, what to see, where to stay, etc.

We have alot of timeshare points, so also I'm looking at having a base in a timeshare or 2 & doing daytrips -- anyone have any ideas or experience with any timeshares in WA & OR?

Maybe a trip up to Vancouver too as we have cruise friends from SEa Prin living there! What is the distance from Seattle to Vancouver BC?

What can we expect on WEATHER & TEMPS in mid-late AUG/early SEPT?

YES, I will DEFINITELY will READ all the threads relating to this area in next couple weeks!!!!

I have never cruised out of the Seattle Port, so I can not help you on the distance.

DW and I spent a few weeks in the Wash-Or costal area and there is a lot to do and see. Around seattle there are museum, Pikes market etc.

Driving down the coast is a real treat for sightseeing. You also have Mt St Helens. In McMinnville Or, is the Evergreen Aviation Museum. This is where the Spruce Goose is. They also have several Russian planes and a Russian Space Craft, German Panzer Tank, Several world war one planes, lots of world war 11 stuff, along with an I-Max Theater. This is only 6 years old and a state of the art museum.

You will not be dissapointed visting this area.

Have a great time!!

Remember that Princess uses Terminal 30 and not pier 66. It's a bit south of there and in the same area of the sports arenas (to be aware of while getting there if there's baseball games that day).

Seatac is many miles south of Seattle as no doubt many Seattlites will come here and tell you.

Airport is 15 miles from downtown seattle/cruise terminals. Shuttle or cab best bet

I think there is a timeshare hotel in downtown seattle - a nice - older bldg and not sure of condition - the old Camlin Hotel. it would be at the east end of downtown or about 1.5 miles or so to your terminal.

Tons to do in and about Wash/Oregon - 5 mountains (2 ranges), pacific ocean, many lakes, arts, shopping and so on. Also the in-town activities in Sea and Portland typical to all major cities.

Barring any unforseen problems you should be able to make that 1:05 direct.

We typically have beautiful late August early Sept weather. Nites can get cool but days are usually sunny and warm - sometimes morning fog. (we are having heat wave this week - high 80's to mid 90's next few days and I've forgotten when it last rained <g>)

Sea to Vancouver is about 3 hr drive (about same to Portland) - depends on stops and border traffic, time of day.

Hope this helps, enjoy your search on these boards and others - you'll find lots of great info and enjoy your cruise!!!

I think there is a timeshare hotel in downtown seattle - a nice - older bldg and not sure of condition - the old Camlin Hotel. it would be at the east end of downtown or about 1.5 miles or so to your terminal.

The condition of the Camlin is very nice. They remodeled part of it when they transformed it from a Seattle landmark into a downtown timeshare a couple of years ago. If you want to stay at additional timeshares in WA and OR, or even Vancouver, there are a TON from which to choose.

The trip to Vancouver can take 2-3 hours depending on traffic at the border and time of day you are traveling.

In Vancouver, there is The Canadian, located downtown on Hornby St.

Along the OR coast, headed south you'll find one in Seaside, right on the water, Gleneden, also on the water further south, then one in Depoe Bay and one in Newport. Those are central coast, so now you're several hours into OR. Not sure how far you want to go, but the OR coast is absolutely beautiful!

P.S. I'm an Oregonian living in Washington. Any more questions, just ask away! :)

If you get a cab to take you along 99, just outside SeaTac airport up to Terminal 30 is either 9 or 11 miles. :) Clocked it one day on our way home from the zoo. :p

I personally really enjoy taking Amtrak up to Vancouver. Leaves very early in the morning, gets back late at night...that might not fit in with your plans, but it's a beautiful and stress-free way of getting to and from Vancouver. (doublechecking, yes, you said "up" to Vancouver, so unless you're my husband, you do mean BC, ha ha) Amtrak also has busses that leave more often than the once-a-day train.

Pretty much wherever you go you will find great things! I absolutely LOVE Portland OR, and if DH weren't so scared of not being able to find a job down there, as well as the state tax (they have no sales tax, but do have a state tax unlike WA), we'd have moved there LONG ago. If you find yourself down that way, and you like a microbrew beer, try one of many McMenamins restaurants or small hotels for one of their creations (they make wine and liquor, too). Mt St Helens is on the way.

Rainier is beautiful, but then the Olympics are great too. Pike Place market in Seattle...if you like zoos, the Woodland Park Zoo is very nice. You could also go a bit south to Tacoma (where I live). Another good zoo (with an aquarium of sorts), many museums, an up-and-coming downtown area.

August 26th...if you're here the week before and you're into Renaissance Festivals, there's one out in Gig Harbor across the Narrows Bridge(s). Every weekend in August...

The weather, ah the weather. :) last year the day we went to the aforementioned Renaissance Festival, it was beastly hot. August 17th at our wedding south of Portland (in '03) it was nearly 100 degrees (outdoor wedding, tented reception, poofy silk gown, augh). Then again, it might also rain. Layers, dress in layers. Should I assume you're going on an Alaskan cruise anyway? Then you'll have layers packed already, no worries. :D

I hope you have a nice visit!

Archived