Kind of Off Topic - Potential Career Opportunity

Star-Man

UPDATE: After a bit of reading, it turns out that the only current photography jobs with the defence force are with the Air Force Reserve and they require minimum certificate IV in photoimaging from TAFE anyway. So either way, Im screwed. Perhaps I'll attempt to get a retail job on a cruise ship with my retail experience

I know this isn't exactly cruise related but I thought that I would seek the opinions of the good friends I've got on here.

When I finished high school last year, I decided to take a year off study to work a little and take another cruise. Unfortunately neither of those things have really happened. Work cant afford to give me more than 8 hours a week and because of that, I have no money for a cruise.

Now I was also planning to do all I could to get into the Australian Maritime College in Tasmania or the one in the UK. Those are now out of the question because I won't be able to move to either of those places. Then I thought I would follow up my only other real interest and passion, photography. Too bad I can't afford to do that at TAFE either (upfront fees are more than could earn between now and the end of the year).

I was in a discussion with a few other keen photographers around my age a little while ago and it turns out one of them got into the air force for photography and I have since learnt that the navy does the same.

So my question (finally), should I attempt to get into the defense force for that and if yes, which one?

ps.sorry it was a bit long, but I couldnt just come straight up and ask the question without some back story.

pps. The Kittyhawk is coming to Brisbane next week :D

I'm ex Army myself, but I think the RAAF would be the go.

I think they have more scope for photography than the other two services.

Have a look at this link, and maybe have a talk to a Defence Careers Advisor.

This is off the current Defence site, and refers to full time employment - not Defence Force Reserves

Worth investigating.

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/default.asp?p=48&j=286

Best of luck with whatever you decide. ;)

BTW - I like your work.

and maybe have a talk to a Defence Careers Advisor.

Will definitely have to do that.

This is off the current Defence site, and refers to full time employment - not Defence Force Reserves

Worth investigating.

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/default.asp?p=48&j=286

Best of luck with whatever you decide. ;)

I tried clicking that link before but it wasnt working. Luckily the full time positions dont need the tafe qualifications. There is hope yet

BTW - I like your work.

Thankyou :)

Sam, my daughter has just applied for the Airforce through ADFA in Canberra next year when she finishes Year 12. This is an entry as an Officer and entails doing a Degree for three years. She has a choice of what she wants to study, when she finishes she has to give three years of service. The campus has Army, Navy and Airforce combined.

Might be good for you to look into it as you have completed Year 12, you get paid to train, (no cost to you!!!) they have been very good with communicating with her, sending her info etc.

Chez

xx

Drake...

just to answer your question...TAFE stands for

Technical And Further Education... Kind of like your community colleges...

Here we go to High School.. then choose to go to university, TAFE or get a job... depending on your final exam in High School (your HSC.. Higher School Certificate) mark...

Hope that is clear... clear as mud probably...he he

Meg

Thanks for the clarification.

Had never seen TAFE in print before, but certainly understand concept of the Community Colleges (in my day they were called Junior Colleges), and believe they provide a great service/education.

Thanks for the clarification.

Had never seen TAFE in print before, but certainly understand concept of the Community Colleges (in my day they were called Junior Colleges), and believe they provide a great service/education.

Had a bit of a think... and more coffee...

To explain it a bit better... (although I know you got it..) You would go to TAFE if you wanted to be a hairdresser, plumber, carpenter, motor mechanic etc... Any kind of trade... OR uni for stuff you need a degree for teaching, law etc...

I am an accountant... I could have done a BA in Accounting BUT did it through TAFE... some diplomas you can do through TAFE and not uni.. I was told (and i may get abused by uni grad accountants here) that TAFE was better as it was more practical and less theory...PLUS for me MUCH less expensive...

Like over there some people do a TAFE course (if there HSC mark was nit high enough to get straight into uni) and then go onto uni...

Meg

Had a bit of a think... and more coffee...

To explain it a bit better... (although I know you got it..) You would go to TAFE if you wanted to be a hairdresser, plumber, carpenter, motor mechanic etc... Any kind of trade... OR uni for stuff you need a degree for teaching, law etc...

I am an accountant... I could have done a BA in Accounting BUT did it through TAFE... some diplomas you can do through TAFE and not uni.. I was told (and i may get abused by uni grad accountants here) that TAFE was better as it was more practical and less theory...PLUS for me MUCH less expensive...

Like over there some people do a TAFE course (if there HSC mark was nit high enough to get straight into uni) and then go onto uni...

Meg

that should read "some diplomas you can do through TAFE AS WELL AS uni"

it seems I need still more coffee...

I used to work with a guy who'd been a photographer in the Navy for years. He loved it.

Also, a few years ago a friend of ours joined the Navy (not for photography though). His first 12 months (the first 4 especially) were quite difficult. They put the newbies through a lot of hard work and training. But now that it's all over he's been posted to a few different places (Melb, Syd & now currently in Cairns) and couldn't be happier. I think it's a pretty hard slog to begin with but once you're in it's all smooth sailing from then on (pardon the pun).

Also, MADE them play an entire day of sports once a week. Not bad hey? Paid to play footy and muck around all day ;)

If you really think you could handle the lifestyle I say go for it :D What have you got to lose? And you can get into ADFA and get paid to learn at the same time! It's all win win :)

Sam ask yourself why you want to join our Defense Forces...cos they will..it's not the sort of job you can just pop in and out of.... is certainly not a holiday type atmosphere like cruise ships and it's a big commitment.... There are plenty of jobs in and around South East Qld that could give more than just 8 hours work a week .even if you have to have 3 or 4.. and 12months of solid saving from full time work will give you give you that opportunity you want..... my opinion only.....cheers shiona

SAM -

Re the AMC - its residential so why is moving to Tassie to train out of the question?

If you can get a company to train you - once certificated you have the world at your feet.

You could end up as master of the Queen Victoria.

Or better still master of a oil rig tender doing one on & one off earning

$150,000 pa.

John

I think in the past a lot of people joined the Armed Services because they were able to provide you with the opportunity of studying for a degree and getting paid for it and there was little chance of being sent to war.

I think in this day and age you really need to be aware of this and join the respective service with this in mind. It is no longer a 'long shot possibility' and unless you are fully prepared to take that risk you shouldn't even think about it. I agree with the other comment in regards to getting another job that is for more than 8hours a week (please!:rolleyes: ) and save up for what you really want to do.

Good luck with it all!!!

Sorry, I can't help you - don't remember what I might have said on the "AWS" thread.

Have you checked to see if the thread was moved to the Floataway Lounge?

Many of the "moved" threads end up there.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Certainly gives me more food for thought :)

Im going to chase up an eye test early next week and then follow some leads i have been given about sponsorship for the AMC. If that doesnt work out then I will be sending resumes to everywhere i can think of.

You don't join the Defence force to be a photographer, cause they don't have a trade for that, what happens is you join General Entry, to be a soldier and then express an interest in photography, and if they think you are any good at it you can do a course and become a Unit photographer. Mind you if you are with a Unit that goes overseas, good opportunity. Then you can actually get posted into that particular job.

Hope thats a help

Archived