Credit cards used in ports?

travgurl

You will probably see less small shops that accept credit than you would here in the states.

It is about your comfort level, with me I'll admit that I'm a bit paranoid, and carry very little cash in port, just enough for tips. I feel that if the wallet is stolen, the cash will be gone forever, but the cards will be replaced. I also keep one card in the cabin safe in case I do lose the wallet, that way I have a backup.

Yeah I know a little over the top, but I try to play it safe!

MAC

We used our CC in Jamaica once and when the statement came in, there were a few extra charges, no problem just called the CC company with the dispute and they removed them.

I no longer use CC on the islands, don't know who might get ahold of the number.

Although I may use it again if i were making a large purchase at a well established store like Diamonds International, or someplace like that.

We used our CC in Jamaica once and when the statement came in, there were a few extra charges, no problem just called the CC company with the dispute and they removed them.

I no longer use CC on the islands, don't know who might get ahold of the number.

Although I may use it again if i were making a large purchase at a well established store like Diamonds International, or someplace like that.

I had a similar experience in Jamaica on our Xmas cruise.

We've been to Jamaica a number of times and it is not too bad.

The only negative I have with Jamaica happened this last cruise at Christmas. After we did our excursions (zip lining) the best, we went to Margarittaville to eat (have done in in the past). Paid with our credit card, no problem. In March I got my credit card statement (this is a card only used for vacation) so there should not have been any charges on it as I had already paid off the Xmas trip. There was a charge of over $800 I did not make, called the company and it was for a computer store in Jamaica and there was another charge they told me for over $700 the next day. They cancelled my card and reported the fraud. It looks like someone at Margarittaville wrote down my number and bought themselves a new computer.

In all our cruises this is the first time anything like this has happened. I will be paying with cash this time around.

Sometimes you have no choice... if you want to rent a car you must use a credit card. In Cozumel the counter agent (for a major chain!) took our card and hand wrote a rental contract.

Several months later Western Union called me at 2am to ask if I was approving a $500 transfer from the card. The only 2 places we used it were for our S&S account and for that car rental.

If you do plan on using a CC, I would suggest making sure it isn't the same one that is attached to your bank account. I too like to use CC's as opposed to carrying cash, but in the event that I had to dispute a charge I would rather it be someone else's $ in limbo rather than coming out of my checking account.

we use CCs we trust and carry just enough cash becasue you never know. Amex is awesome, if you have any problems you just pick up the phone and they fix it! i had a friend in mexico buy ice cream with cash and get mexican pesos back....

Do the small shops and restaurants take credit cards or should I just plan on using cash?

It also depends on how popular the port is. Progresso only has one-two cruise ships a week. Half the vendors there took cc, the other half Pesos. When I went shopping in the street market in Merida, all only Pesos.

Just a FYI many shops will offer you a discount if you pay cash rather than credit so the stores can save on credit card fees. For example, we purchased a ring in St Martin and we saved an additional $75 becuase we paid 1/2 in cash.

I've had my credit card number (not the card itself, just the number) stolen twice in Mexico and once in France. And while it's impractical to try to use cash all of the time, particularly on longer trips, we are very careful now to use cash wherever possible when we are in port on a cruise. It's just too much of a hassle to have to start over with a new credit card number every time this happens, even if the credit card company does ultimately remove the fraudulent charges.

I too have had a credit card issue while in Mexico, sigh. I got charged twice for the same thing, two different days and 1 cent off. Of course I reported it to the cc company and had to fill out a fraud report. I try to only use my credit cards at reputable stores. The credit card companies don't hold you responsible but it's still a pain in the butt. That's why I like travelers checks.

I too have had a credit card issue while in Mexico, sigh. I got charged twice for the same thing, two different days

That is basically the same problem we had in Jamaica, We were charged for the same item 3 days in a row.

Don't know if the store owner thought it wasn't going thru or was just trying to pull something but i won't be taking the chance again, only at reputable stores.

I know that one place that we went in Cozumel added a 20% service fee for use of a CC. I think in the US the business has to pay a 3% fee to the CC company and oversees I wouldn't mind paying a small fee for the convenience of using a CC but 20% is just robbery.

I know that one place that we went in Cozumel added a 20% service fee for use of a CC. I think in the US the business has to pay a 3% fee to the CC company and oversees I wouldn't mind paying a small fee for the convenience of using a CC but 20% is just robbery.

That is a complete violation of their agreement to accept credit cards, they can be reported and they will be warned to stop the practice or lose their ability to accept credit cards.

It is also against policy to have a minimum amount required to use a credit card. These are both violations of their agreements. I would refuse to pay a service charge, and would most likely report them.

MAC

If you plan to use a credit card out of the country it is a good idea to contact your credit card company and let them know. They will record the dates and locations you will be travelling. This can help prevent an unwarranted (and embarassing) charge denial if they see your card being used out of the country. Also, if they see your card being used out of the country after your return date, they will deny the fraudulent charge.

My family and myself frequently use our credit cards outside of the country and we have not had any problems. The biggest problem is that I sometimes forget to let my credit card company know that I will be out the country prompting your credit card to be denied. This is very easily solved as the store will call the credit card company and you need to speak to them explaining where you will be going and what type of purchases do you expect to make. This typically happens when you are buying a large purchase (in my case at a well-trusted jewelry store in St. Maarten). My best advice is to call your credit card company, let them know what ports you will be going to and what days you will be in those ports. I know my mother also typically utilizes a different card so she can more easily track, just in case.

Just as a side note, many places, in and outside of the US have a minimum purchase to utilize a credit card. Otherwise they lose too much money. One of my favorite restaurants does this and I know this going in.

Enjoy your cruise!

Just as a side note, many places, in and outside of the US have a minimum purchase to utilize a credit card. Otherwise they lose too much money. One of my favorite restaurants does this and I know this going in.

Enjoy your cruise!

They may do this but it is a violation of their contract with Visa & MC. (It is not however a violation with AMEX)

http://www.gofso.com/Premium/LE/06_le_ic/fg/fg-merchants.html

Archived