Embarkation = Day 0 vs. Day 1?

MaryPoppinz

Does anyone know why HAL uses "Day 1" as the description for embarkation day on a cruise with land tour, but uses "Day 0" as the description for embarkation day of the very same cruise if you are doing only the cruise portion? This makes cruisetours one night shorter than the stated length, but cruises are the same number of nights as the stated length.

Has this caused anyone else the confusion it's causing me to keep the return date straight?? :)

You'd think a 14-day cruisetour would go from the 14th to the 28th, wouldn't you? After all, a 14-day cruise would go from the 14th to the 28th. But, a 14-day cruisetour goes from the 14th to the 27th. That's an $878.28 lesson I won't be forgetting very soon. :)

Why does it matter or am I missing something? You're on and off the ship the same days/nights no matter how they are numbered. Either way you are getting 7 nights on the ship. If you get on the 14th just add 7 to it and you get off the 21st. Doesn't matter if the 14th or the 21st is considered Day 0.

There is someone in an office in Seattle right now chuckling. Maybe they could answer the question.

They couldn't answer the "why." But, he said they were aware that the two things were listed differently and he did apologize for the confusion and for any inconvenience it may have caused. Which was nice. :)

I didn't see the cruise documents until long after the air was booked. And, so I made the mistake of assuming that a 14-day cruisetour that started on the 14th would conclude on the 28th.

I see what you are saying, Mary, as I also looked on the website to see how the '11' day cruisetours are posted there. LOL that Seattle is saying they are sorry for the 'confusion and inconvenience' and apologize.

Clearly HAL is just mis-advertising their cruisetours. They are 10 day/10 night cruisetours, not 11, and should never be called 11 anything. Being driven to the airport is NOT a cruisetour day by any cruiseline counting system and since there are only 10 nights it is a 10 day or 10 night cruisetour, whatever they want to call it, but clearly it is not 11 anything. I am very surprised they have not been called on this before and forced to change it. If anyone books and pays for a 14 day cruise they do not expect it to be 13 days yet called 14 because there is a shuttle bus available to take them to the airport and that is called day 14. It's absurd.

Hopefully, my mistake can save someone else doing the same thing. I'm surprised this hasn't come up here before.

I'm going to write HAL a letter just to register my distaste about this being advertised as a 14 day trip. This discrepany could be very problematic for some travelers.

I actually asked for Guest Relations and got Reservations when I called HAL. But, the rep I spoke to knew exactly what I talking about and had clearly heard my complaint before. His only suggestion was that I should have reviewed the documents more carefully and that I pursue reimbursement through the cruise insurance (which I obviously will not be doing, since I didn't buy Stupid Mistake Coverage.)

I just can't see how they are calculating this.

The trip starts on the 14th and ends on the 27th. Calling that a "14-day cruisetour" would be like trying to call a 7-night cruise an "8-day cruisetour" because you get to disembark and go to the airport on the 8th day. It would be like a hotel charging you for the day you check out because you got to take a shower and have your luggage removed.

It's just totally non-standard.

You might mention the words "False Advertising" when you write them. They are advertising 14 days of product and only giving 13. And then trying to make it sound like it's your fault for not discovering what they are doing. :eek:

That is excellent advice Peaches. There used to be a "Truth In Advertising Law" on the books. I'm not sure if this was just in California, or if it was country-wide; however HAL is definitely guilty of false advertising here and should be called on it.

Valerie:)

I just can't see how they are calculating this.

The trip starts on the 14th and ends on the 27th. Calling that a "14-day cruisetour" would be like trying to call a 7-night cruise an "8-day cruisetour" because you get to disembark and go to the airport on the 8th day. It would be like a hotel charging you for the day you check out because you got to take a shower and have your luggage removed.

It's just totally non-standard.

Exactly, Mary, but you are way too nice. It's not non-standard. It's fraud. You are out money for your flight because HAL advertized your tour was 14 days and it is 13. And you say the man in Seattle clearly had heard this complaint before? Of course he had and HAL knows they are screwing their customers. What do the extreme loyalists think?

Seriously....this has not come up here before??? Nobody has escalated this with HAL somehow???

This is actually a trip I researched and booked for my parents. My 'extreme loyalties' are elsewhere. ;) I've never seen a cruise listed like this. I could NOT believe it when my mom called this morning and said "Why are they driving us to the airport on the 27th?"

Embarkation day is counted as Day One - once on board, most all facilities are available to you - including lunch, snacks, dinner, entertainment etc. etc.

Breakfast the morning of disembarking, makes up all the meals, etc.etc.etc.etc. you paid for.

Embarkation day is counted as Day One - .

Yes -- I know now that Embarkation day on the cruisetours is counted as "Day One," like this:

Day Port Arrive Depart

Day 1 Vancouver 5:00 P

Day 2 At Sea

Day 3 Tracy Arm 8:00 AM 12:00 PM

Day 3 Juneau 2:30 PM 10:30 PM

etc.

However, until this morning, I was operating under the assumption that the cruisetours were like HAL's cruise-only's -- where embarkation day is counted as "Day Zero" like this....

Day Port Arrive Depart

Day 0 Vancouver 5:00 PM

Day 1 At Sea

Day 2 Tracy Arm 8:00 AM 12:00 PM

Day 2 Juneau 2:30 PM 10:30 PM

etc.

If they had purchased the cruise only, embarkation day would be day zero. But, they purchased the cruisetour where, as you said, embarkation day is day one.

Lesson learned. :)

MaryPoppins,

I really feel bad for you. I have never done a cruise tour, but would have thought Hal would list it the same way as their cruises using day 0.

What a moronic thing for Hal to do !

This is False Advertising . You are not getting a 14 day cruise/tour but a 13 day.

CRUISETOUR 5, 14-DAY NB

SAILING DATE: July 14, 2007

SHIP: ms Zuiderdam

TOUR

Day Port

1 Sail from Vancouver

2 Inside Passage scenic cruising

3 Tracy Arm & twin Sawyer Glaciers scenic cruising; afternoon in Juneau

4 Skagway, Alaska

Disembark and meet your Tour Director. Then relive the Days of 1898 on a 1 1/2 - hour tour of this Klondike National Historical Park.

5 Skagway to Whitehorse via Lake Bennett

This Klondike Trail adventure features the White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad to Lake Bennett for lunch (included) and a park ranger walking tour. Reboard train to Carcross, then motorcoach to Whitehorse for overnight and Frantic Follies Vaudeville Revue (included).

6 Optional Whitehorse and Kluane National Park adventures

We've created this unique and exclusive program of optional guided hikes and excursions to spotlight dramatic scenery and wildlife in this UNESCO World Heritage Site.

7 Explorer Coach to Dawson City

Follow the Yukon River north through vast wilderness and overnight in this beautifully preserved Klondike National Historical Site.

8 Optional Dawson City and Tombstone Park adventures

Join local interpreters for guided hikes spotlighting Tombstone's scenery and wildlife or stay in Dawson City and relive the Gold Rush.

9 mv Yukon Queen II river cruise;;Eagle to Tok

Cruise the legendary "River of Gold" through wild, unspoiled scenery (lunch included). Tour historic Eagle with a resident guide, then sightsee via motor coach to Tok.

10 Explorer Coach to Fairbanks via Alaska Highway

Take in vast wilderness, the Alaska Range and the Trans-Alaska Pipeline. At Gold Dredge No. 8 view mining exhibits and pan for gold (lunch included). Overnight downtown.

11 McKinley Explorer® to Denali National Park

Board the largest domed railcars on the historic Alaska Railroad, relaxing in the observation lounge and savoring fine dining. Then transfer to your Denali National Park lodge for incomparable adventures.

12 Denali National Park

Enjoy the 6- to 8-hour Tundra Wilderness Tour with expert narration as you watch for wildlife and visit prime Mt. McKinley viewpoints. Later, return to your lodge to hike, horseback ride, river raft or just relax.

13 McKinley Explorer to Anchorage

Continue unforgettable railway sightseeing to Alaska's largest city. Transfer to your downtown hotel and say "good-bye" to your Tour Director.

14 Transfer to the Anchorage airport

Tour ends.

Ok. In case there is still confusion, here's the whole itinerary of this cruisetour. They call embarkation day Day 1 and that way they get to Day 14 at the end of the itinerary, but Day 14 is NOT part of the tour. It ends on Day 13. They are counting the day that the tour has already ended and pax are taken to the airport as the 14th day. The night of the 13th day you are taken to your hotel and say goodbye to the Tour Director. Clearly this is a 13 Day Cruisetour, not the advertised 14 days. On HAL cruises embarkation day and disembarkation day are both not counted as cruise days and they shouldn't be.

I wish someone would come on here with an explanation of how this is fair for HAL to do.

GLACIER BAY INSIDE PASSAGE

SAILING DATE: July 14, 2007

SHIP: ms Zuiderdam

Day Port Arrive Depart

0 Vancouver, B.C. 5:00 pm

1 At Sea

2 Tracy Arm, Alaska, Usa 1 8:00 am Noon

2 Juneau, Alaska 2:30 pm 10:30 pm

3 Skagway, Alaska 7:00 am 9:00 pm

4 Glacier Bay Scenic Cruising 1 7:00 am 4:00 pm

5 Ketchikan, Alaska 2:00 pm 8:00 pm

6 At Sea