My parents Cruise on the Pearl

Hi, Keystone. I hope you don't mind how I edited your quote in the interest of space.

Buffet: There are actually two drink stations, but one is less noticeable. Maybe this will come in handy for someone else. It is further aft, down the hall a little bit towards the "kid's cafe" and entrance to the back patio. Some days at breakfast I saw an additional "drink cart" up against a wall near the back of the first seating section. The cart had pitchers of juice and milk on it. I'm not a coffee drinker and didn't notice if there were any hot beverages.

Crystal Atrium: The only thing I ever saw on the big screen were Wii games and jewelry presentations. I know they showed a few movies there, too, but it isn't anything like a theater- the seating is quite limited.

I'm sorry that your parents didn't enjoy themselves as much as they had in the past.

Knowing my parents, they probably thought the Wii games and jewelry presentations WERE commercials.

Good to know about the drink stations and cart. If it was down by the outside doors, they probably didn't go that far because they wouldn't go outside.

I'm glad you edited, we don't want to fill 27 pages with copying of my book. (J.K. Rowling has nothing on me...lol)

Finally, don't get me wrong, they did enjoy their cruise. Felt NCL's on board service and crew is as good as ever, but there were just several things about the ship itself that they didn't like. Like I said, they do want to sail NCL again, if we can find a different itinerary than what NCL offers next year.

As with any cruise there were some things that I would have like to have changed (No lemonade in the buffet was one. Seating issues and entertainment were others), but overall it was a great cruise. We absolutely lucked out with the weather and the ports were spectacular. Plus we were on vacation from work for a week. When you put everything in perspective the little things don't even seem to matter anymore.

One other thing I'd like to bring up is the reservation system. It's pretty ridiculous to call for reservations at 7 am and be told that Teppanyaki has already been booked for the following day. Now I know that it's very small and there is extremely limited seating, but I find that to be a big problem. We got into Cagney's, Lotus Garden, and La Cucina without any problems, but we did make reservations early in the morning on the day we planned on going.

Cosmo, regardless of our difference of opinion on this issue (may be a first for us...), I respect your opinion just as I know you respect mine.

I think NCL has to find a solution to this problem. Regardless of how much one is paying, it is not fair for a small percentage of the ship to monopolize the specialty restaurants. The ship is not just for those in the high end suites and the ship can't operate with just those in the high end suites. They need the ship full of passengers to pay the bills and if the people in the lower priced cabins cannot get reservations AT all, then something is wrong.

I have not yet sailed NCL since they instituted the new reservation system but under the old system (where you could book all week.), I never had a problem getting reservations for any restaurant (never tried for Tepperanaki though) early in the week. On most occasions, I was making them for a larger group (9, 12 or 18) and still never had a problem.

When someone has to get up (while on vacation) go at 7:00 a.m. in the morning to get reservations for the next day and then can't even get a reservation for 2 in any of the specialty restaurants, then there is something wrong with the system. (My parents don't eat Italian or European so my parents friends were going alone.)

Are we going back to ships like the really old days, (Titanic era) when the ship was literally divided by classes? Those who had the money were in one section and those in the lower class were literally LOCKED out of areas?? That is what this sounds like to me! Those in the upper class get to eat in the "nice" dining rooms and those not paying that amount get relegated to the "main" dining rooms. Doesn't sound fair at all.

Perhaps instead of restricting each suite person to 2 reservations per week, the coinceirge would only be allowed to book up half of each restaurant each night at all times with suite guests. Then the other half would be allowed in the free for all reservations. If the suite guests can't get the time or restaurant they want through the coincerge...then they can join the free for all.

The era of "class" systems is hopefully fast fading in society as it already has on most cruise ships. I have never felt "below" those in the high end suites on any NCL cruise that I have take and I have never felt "above" those in ocean view or insides since I was in a balcony. The actions of the cruise line and the crew were why. If the specialty restaurants are becoming "controlled" by the high end suites.....then NCL is taking a step backward into a class system.

Thanks for the review Keystone. I'm disappointed that your parents felt like "common folk", there is NO excuse for this. I'm sailing on the Pearl in October. Our first balcony and all I can say is if we too are made to feel "common" as non-suite pax or are penalized for not having a suite; this will be our LAST cruise with NCL. (This will be our 2nd with them, and we're planning on purchasing our 3rd while on board).

I certainly hope that's not the case, but in this day and age, with all the cruise lines competing for our business, I'm certain MANY simply will not tolerate being made to feel like second class citizens! I certainly will not.

Thanks,

Romy

Let me clear one thing up here before it spirals...my parents never felt like second class on the ship. They really didn't want to go to any of the specialty restaurants except for Cagney's, which they went to on the first day. (and after the poor food quality there, they didn't want to go back there.)

My parent's friends also didn't feel like second class citizens either. They used the term "common folk" simply as a way to represent those not in suites. Their biggest complaint was the fact that the reservation system puts those not in AE and higher suites at a HUGE disadvantage at getting reservations. NCL likes to advertize these specialty restaurants, but if you can't get into them unless you are in a suite, it is not fair.

Let me clear one thing up here before it spirals...my parents never felt like second class on the ship. They really didn't want to go to any of the specialty restaurants except for Cagney's, which they went to on the first day. (and after the poor food quality there, they didn't want to go back there.)

My parent's friends also didn't feel like second class citizens either. They used the term "common folk" simply as a way to represent those not in suites. Their biggest complaint was the fact that the reservation system puts those not in AE and higher suites at a HUGE disadvantage at getting reservations. NCL likes to advertize these specialty restaurants, but if you can't get into them unless you are in a suite, it is not fair.

Good to know, I'm just not looking forward to possibly feeling like "steerage" class:eek: because we didn't book a suite or garden villa.

I've only cruised Celebrity and NCL, two very different experiences for many reasons. I'd certainly prefer to stay with freestyle as I'm "over" hauling formal attire and the hassles that accompany this choice. However, on Celebrity the service and attention was top notch, of course we paid more too. Guess we'll know more in October.

Thanks Keystone,

Romy

You definitely won't feel any different from all of the rest of the passengers. I can assure you of that. The only time that I had even the slightest annoyance was when we couldn't get reservations for that one particular restaurant. The crew was extremely attentive no matter what kind of room you were in.

Don't worry and you'll have a fantastic time :)

You definitely won't feel any different from all of the rest of the passengers. I can assure you of that. The only time that I had even the slightest annoyance was when we couldn't get reservations for that one particular restaurant. The crew was extremely attentive no matter what kind of room you were in.

Don't worry and you'll have a fantastic time :)

Thank you Lauren, that's very kind of you to say and I'm sure you're right! Besides, typically I'm one of those that's so happy to be on the ship (especially a new one:D ) that it's pretty hard for me to get bothered by anything. Guess that comment about the parents just struck a chord with me.

Thanks again for the reassurance;) !

Happy Sailing!!!!

Romy (Non-Steerage Class):p

(Cruised 7/15) We also had difficulty obtaining reservations to the Specialty diningrooms for a group of 5. We did walk in to la Cucina the first night about 6 and got seated without a reservation, and my nephew was able to get us reservations for Mambo's on Victoria night. We had really wanted to go to Cagney's and the Teppanaki, but it wasn't meant to be. The Summer palace was really pretty, but I could not sit back in the chair...it was huge. I am 5'4 and my legs did not even touch the floor, and as some one else mentioned, the chairs were difficult to move once seated.

Several nights i tried to call room service for a snack, and could not get through, the phones were busy after 11pm.

We did have excellent weather, except for mist and drizzle early in Ketchikan and Victoria.

Art Auctions: Always a highlight for my dad. He didn't like them and so he didn't go after the first one. They now do not include framing with most artwork you purchase and they have now added a 15% service charge to your purchase.

KC! I am the Art Director on the Pearl, so I was really disappointed to read this line in your review! Did you or anyone else actually go to the auctions? The company that's now concessioned to the art program is called "The Fine Art of Cruising", and they are not what you or your dad is apparently used to! You got some facts wrong, so I really just wanted to respond so that we don't incur any unfortunate or unfair bad press!

1) We include brand new framing on EVERY sold piece.

2) Our Buyer's Premium is the lowest in the industry at 10%. The premium has been standard auction procedure with every company at sea for more than 20 years, yet ours is the lowest at 10%, whereas most companies levy a 15 or 18% BP.

3) Fine Art of Cruising has a superb reputation thus far, concerning our integrity, honesty, and transparency of business ethics. I have been in the industry about 12 years, and unfortunately I've seen some of the auction companies developing shameful practices. I promise you, our new company was formed to correct and reverse that negative hype!

I understand that some auctioneers can be too pushy or slick, but I do my utmost to come across as genuine, knowledgable, and fun! I do a fast and exciting slideshow through the history of art, and my auctions are loaded up with quotes and trivia and jokes. I get huge amounts of positive reviews, so if your dad truly went to my first auction and didn't enjoy it, I'd really appreciate hearing some specifics, so I can clean up my act! Do you mind filling in the blanks for me? I'm seriously concerned when I hear that someone didn't like my shows!

Anyway, wishing you many more fabulous cruises, and I hope to see you at an art auction someday soon! Thanks for listening! :)

I've never wanted to go to the art auctions before on a ship, but I went to a couple and had a blast! Gordon, you were such a pleasure. My mother purchased a painting and is anxiously awaiting its arrival!

My parent's friends also didn't feel like second class citizens either. They used the term "common folk" simply as a way to represent those not in suites. Their biggest complaint was the fact that the reservation system puts those not in AE and higher suites at a HUGE disadvantage at getting reservations. NCL likes to advertize these specialty restaurants, but if you can't get into them unless you are in a suite, it is not fair.[/quote

Whats not fair is when I pay $3000.00 MORE than a balcony cabin so that I can enjoy and be pampered in a Penthouse suite, to not be able to eat when/where I want to. We're not talking about a "class" thing, we're simply talking about a "money" thing. And as with most things in life (right or wrong) the dollar speaks, and opens doors. Money does not equate to "class". It's simply a matter of where & how one choose's to spend their money. These cruise ships leave their home ports fully booked, and the extra charge for the alternative dining is the same regardless of your being in a suite or an inside cabin. But paying the extra big bucks upfront for the suites & higher accommodations, will get you placed on the dining list ahead of the others. All IMHO.

Your comments ARE precisely about the class system! If its not about paying more for a better cabin,perks,etc. then what is the class system? Its always been about the Benjamins,baby! Your comments smack of the ones we've heard from the people that put babies in the pool,chair hogs,pigs at the buffet,etc."I paid alot of money for this cruise."..blah, blah, blah! If they used your system then I suppose the GV are the top of the food chain reservation wise so you may not be accommodated either since you only paid $3000 more than a balcony! In that case may I suggest dinner from any restaurant served in suite by your butler.

I have no problem with your getting what your entitled to by paying more for your cruise,what I do have a problem with is NCL promoting a "freestlye" experience for ALL paying pax.The person who paid for an inside cabin should have the same chance of getting a reservation at a specialty rest. as anyone else. I think that the suites should have a small number of spots held open for the higher paying catagories and after they're booked..well you snooze,you lose.Don't forget there are a lot more of 'us' than there are of 'you'.

All IMHO

Your comments ARE precisely about the class system! If its not about paying more for a better cabin,perks,etc. then what is the class system? Its always been about the Benjamins,baby! Your comments smack of the ones we've heard from the people that put babies in the pool,chair hogs,pigs at the buffet,etc."I paid alot of money for this cruise."..blah, blah, blah! If they used your system then I suppose the GV are the top of the food chain reservation wise so you may not be accommodated either since you only paid $3000 more than a balcony! In that case may I suggest dinner from any restaurant served in suite by your butler.

I have no problem with your getting what your entitled to by paying more for your cruise,what I do have a problem with is NCL promoting a "freestlye" experience for ALL paying pax.The person who paid for an inside cabin should have the same chance of getting a reservation at a specialty rest. as anyone else. I think that the suites should have a small number of spots held open for the higher paying catagories and after they're booked..well you snooze,you lose.Don't forget there are a lot more of 'us' than there are of 'you'.

All IMHO

WELL SAID CANDYGIRL:D, Good for you, I couldn't agree more!!!!

Thank you:)!

Romy

Archived