My parents Cruise on the Pearl

My parents are leaving for Seattle on Saturday and will board the Pearl to Alaska on Sunday for the July 15 sailing. They and the couple they are sailing with did the exact same itinerary on the Star in 2005 and loved it so much they wanted to do it again.

My mother plans on making daily calls home to us to report on how my father is doing and on how the cruise is going. She said she will provide details that I can write up for a blog on here. Won't be as good as first hand and actually being on board, but at least it will be something..... now if NCL would just get that darn Pearl Webcam fixed so we can follow them on it!

My parents are leaving for Seattle on Saturday and will board the Pearl to Alaska on Sunday for the July 15 sailing. They and the couple they are sailing with did the exact same itinerary on the Star in 2005 and loved it so much they wanted to do it again.

My mother plans on making daily calls home to us to report on how my father is doing and on how the cruise is going. She said she will provide details that I can write up for a blog on here. Won't be as good as first hand and actually being on board, but at least it will be something..... now if NCL would just get that darn Pearl Webcam fixed so we can follow them on it!

How wonderful for them.

Hope they have a great time:)

Ok, here is report #1. I am only going to hear from them when they are in port and call me on their cell phone. (we have free minutes between our phones as part of a family plan, but they don't want to risk ship upcharges -- Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan are all part of our network.)

They are sailing on the Pearl with another couple.

Embarkation: Through the travel agency they took a City Tour on Sunday morning before arriving at the ship.

They got in line about 11:30 and were on board by noon. (they are all Lattitudes Members, but they said, even the regular lines were short.)

Rooms were not going to be ready until 1:30 p.m. so they went to lunch in the buffet. (they also ate in the buffet for breakfast Monday & Tuesday.)

They hate the buffet. They said that they have seen more plates of food dropped in two days than they have on all other cruises combined due to the fact that they don't have trays. It is very hard they said to balance one's plate while getting food, silverware, etc.. They do think that the people move through the buffet quicker due to the stations instead of a single line though.

They also said that it has been very hard to find a seat inside due to limited seating. (my mom's hand condition, won't allow her to eat outside) They also said that the chairs are not comfortable and hard to get close to the table in. (and for dad to say that, it means they are not comfortable!!!)

They love the new layout of the Blue Lagoon and are plaining on having breakfast there tommarrow. They said they may not go back to the buffet again on an NCL ship if they don't have trays. (most likely not at all on this trip at least.)

They got in their cabins at 1:30 p.m. and everything was fine. The cabin was very clean. (and if there is dirt, my parent's friend will find it!) No complaints in that area.

They ate at Cagney's on the first night. (they loved Cagney's on the Dawn last year btw.) They were not happy with thier meals. My dad ordered Prime Rib..the first was almost all fat and the second was very tough. The third time, he had them bring him a filet and it was fine. (and they didn't complain that he sent his steak back twice.) My parent's friends also complained that the steaks were not of as good a quality as on the Dawn last year for the same reasons: toughness, lot of fat and really no flavor.

They ate at the Summer Palace last night. For those who like the "always available" selections, they are no longer available. When she couldn't find anything that she could eat on the main menus, she used to always order a baked potatoe and grilled chicken off the always available menu. She was told that they no longer have those items. (but they were able to accomodate her dietary needs-- no seasoning or marinated meat).

Their complaint about this dining room again had to do with the seating. The chairs are very heavy and tall. My mom (who average height) could not sit back in her chair and have her feet touch the floor. She had to sit on the edge of her chair the whole night. The chairs are also very uncomfortable is the report from all four. Mom asked for a regular chair, they said that they couldn't do that because it would "ruin the decor."

They do like the overall layout of the Pearl. They were leaving for a shore excursion in Juneau so that is where we left the conversation.

One last thing...my father, who many of you know is the luckiest guy at winning stuff on cruise ships (including two paintings in two years), has already won at Bingo and they have only played once!!

The next report will be late tommarrow afternoon from Skagway.

If there are any specific questions you want me to ask them, let me know.

I prefer dining in the main dining rooms instead of the buffet. Tell her she could ask for a tray in the buffet.

I have never heard of the chairs being a problem before. Can't she slide back in the chair and dine without her feet on the floor?

Keystone -- I do agree with your comment about the chairs. I found the ones in the Summer Palace uncomfortable, but if anything, the ones in Indigo were even worse. I attributed it to the fact that I'm short, with very short legs. By the time I'd sat through a 2 hour or so dinner, I'd get up from the table with very sore legs, as they definitely didn't reach the floor unless I sat on the very edge of my seat with my toes pointed down.

My daughter is currently in a statistics class, and I've been laughing as I help her with her assignments about their examples of trying to make sure that furniture, or car seats, or whatever, fits 98% of the general population. I've just assumed that I'm outside that target percentage, but maybe they just didn't buy their furniture based on appropriate distribution patterns :D .

I prefer dining in the main dining rooms instead of the buffet. Tell her she could ask for a tray in the buffet.

They did ask for trays in the buffet and were told..."sorry, we don't have those on this ship." They did say that alot of people were dropping plates of food.

I have never heard of the chairs being a problem before. Can't she slide back in the chair and dine without her feet on the floor?

She is one of those short ladies who likes to keep her feet on the ground. I don't know....its the same thing when they go shopping for a car for her...she can never find a seat thats just right!

My daughter is currently in a statistics class.

Sociology is part of my certification so I have had to take 4 statistics classes over the years....tell her to hang in there, they are extremely tough but it is one of the subjects that I took that has been very useful in my life!!

I'm also guessing that she is in a Quanitative Statistics class based on what you said.....just wait until she gets to "Qualitative Statistics"....my brain still hurts from that classs...lol!

Todays Report:

Skagway....53 degrees and windy. My mom hates cold so they are spending most of the day on the ship!

The went to Indigo last night and yes, the chairs were as bad as in the Summer Palace, but mom asked for a different chair and they brought her one. (unlike the night before.)

She said that the restaurant was extremely busy, much more so than the Palace. They asked the Maitre'd when he came around why this restaurant was so much busier than the other main restaurant. His response was that since they made the Summer Palace no jeans, Indigo has been doing twice as much business than the Palace in the evenings. He said that at peak times, there may be no wait at the Palace while he has a 20-30 minute wait for a table at Indigo.

Today they tried the Blue Lagoon for breakfast and lunch and loved it! They said it was 100 times better food than the buffet, service was great and the selection was very nice and they didn't have to "balance their food!"

They also met a maitre'd from Indigo in the Blue Lagoon, he has taken them "under his wing" (the way our dear Sonny did on the Dawn last year) and is going to make sure that mom's food problems (allergic to all spices) are taken care of for the rest of the week. I don't want to give out his name just yet.....

Our conversation was cut short today since service from Skagway was spotty...well actually my cell phone is having problems...it dropped four calls today...off to the Cingular shop tomarrow....

They most likely won't be calling again until Friday since they will be in Glacer Bay tomarrow.

First of all, it's no fun sitting with your feet swinging back and forth like a little kids'. Second of all, after a fairly short time without having your feet on the floor, I tend to have trouble with my legs going to sleep. Normally, by putting your feet on the floor, you can keep them from getting direct pressure applied by the edge of the seat. If your legs are dangling, that direct pressure makes it very uncomfortable!

so I have had to take 4 statistics classes over the years....tell her to hang in there
I'll tell her to hang in there, but won't even bring up the thought of additional statistics classes. If she makes it through this one without slitting her wrists it may be a miracle!

First of all, it's no fun sitting with your feet swinging back and forth like a little kids'. Second of all, after a fairly short time without having your feet on the floor, I tend to have trouble with my legs going to sleep. Normally, by putting your feet on the floor, you can keep them from getting direct pressure applied by the edge of the seat. If your legs are dangling, that direct pressure makes it very uncomfortable!

I'll tell her to hang in there, but won't even bring up the thought of additional statistics classes. If she makes it through this one without slitting her wrists it may be a miracle!

I have the opposite problem regarding chairs..I'm tall...never a problem on NCL:) Thanks to NCL!

Stats classes...I loved when my daughter took them in HS and college and then some.

Our brains all function differently. I love stats:)

Easy for some and not for others...like anything else in life.

She will do fine and make it through;)

I can't ever decide which is worse -- being short, or being tall. There can definitely be issues with furniture either way. I seldom have trouble with airplane seat leg room -- that's one advantage :D . I remember sitting in a church meeting once with one of my sister's inlaws who'd played NBA basketball. As I watched him try to cram his very, very long legs into the pews, I decided maybe being short had it's advantages!

The funny thing about stats is that I remember taking them in college -- but looking at them now is not stirring up any long unused brain cells. Is there "new stats" like there is "new math"? I'm in the accounting field, but for some reason, even though accounting makes wonderfully logical sense in my brain, when it tries to deal with those statistics formulas I feel like I'm reading greek!

Today's Report: It is raining in Ketchikan....what else is new...lol

Dinner at Indigo has been fine, a little crowded they report but the food and service is good. (a couple who is part of the TA group spoke to mom and dad yesterday and said that Summer Palace is not very full any night. hmmm, could it be the new no jeans rule is backfiring??)

The newest problem: The friends they are traveling with love Italian and have been trying to get in the Italian restaurant all week. They try calling first thing every morning but each time have been told the restaurant is full for the next day already! One person on the ship told them that between the Suites with conceirge priviledges and the upper level lattitudes people, it is very hard to get reservations in many of the specialty restaurants if you are not in one of thsoe groups.

They were going to try today for Saturday night but it is their last shot.

Sounds as if this new reservation system has some problems.

Their next call will be from Victoria on Saturday night......(late for me so probably no update until Sunday.)

If anyone has any specific questions, let me know and I will ask them upon their return.

The chairs are very heavy and tall. My mom (who average height) could not sit back in her chair and have her feet touch the floor. She had to sit on the edge of her chair the whole night. The chairs are also very uncomfortable is the report from all four. Mom asked for a regular chair, they said that they couldn't do that because it would "ruin the decor."

I am short and had the same problem with the chairs at the Summer Palace. I asked for a pillow to place behind my back which allowed me to sit and eat comfortably. The staff were always able to accomodate me.

The newest problem: The friends they are traveling with love Italian and have been trying to get in the Italian restaurant all week. They try calling first thing every morning but each time have been told the restaurant is full for the next day already! One person on the ship told them that between the Suites with conceirge priviledges and the upper level lattitudes people, it is very hard to get reservations in many of the specialty restaurants if you are not in one of thsoe groups.

I had the same problem with La Cucina. I admit, I didn't call for a reservation until Thursday; got one at 9:00 or so, realized that would interfere with a show we were going to see. Had to cancel. Tried to rebook twice, to no avail. Booked up. If I had to do it over again, I would have started calling earlier in the week. Had no problems getting into Cagney's. We loved our filets and the sides and the dessert!

We ate in the buffet most of the time. I didn't see anyone drop plates, but I'm sure it could happen. It was a balancing act. Sometimes we found seats quickly, other times not. Often we ate outside so we could (gasp) smoke!

We ate in Mambo's twice without reservations. Just walked up. We eat late...around 9 or 10. I really liked Mambo's and it was FREE!

PS. I was on the Pearl June 24.

I had the same problem with La Cucina. I admit, I didn't call for a reservation until Thursday; got one at 9:00 or so, realized that would interfere with a show we were going to see. Had to cancel. Tried to rebook twice, to no avail. Booked up. If I had to do it over again, I would have started calling earlier in the week. Had no problems getting into Cagney's. We loved our filets and the sides and the dessert!

We ate in the buffet most of the time. I didn't see anyone drop plates, but I'm sure it could happen. It was a balancing act. Sometimes we found seats quickly, other times not. Often we ate outside so we could (gasp) smoke!

Outside dining in Alaska is not an option for my mother due to "Reinalds (sp??) disease," a disease that means your hands cannot be exposed to cool temperatures. She wore gloves most of the week this week when she did have to go outside.

My parents friends have been trying since the first morning on board to get reservations in LaCucina and each day, they are booked for the next. (reservations are now for that day and the next day only.) Again, they were told that many of the seats are taken by those in suites and lattitude members. They were told that they could dine after 9:00 p.m. most nights, but they are people who refuse to eat after 8:00 p.m. because they say it makes you fat.....lol (I avoid that problem by simply eating all the time..:D )

I will get more details after they back late tomarrow.

I picked my parents and their friends up late last night at the airport and picked their brains on the way home. We are going out later today for my daughter's 10th Birthday, and so I will be able to get all the details and post on the other thread later today or tomarrow.

One of the first things they all mentioned was that they didn't think the Pearl was as nice or as passenger friendly as the Star or the Dawn.

I will get the details and post later. I am now off to take the cat to the vet.....and then probably get stiches myself after dealing with him....lol:D

I picked my parents and their friends up late last night at the airport and picked their brains on the way home. We are going out later today for my daughter's 10th Birthday, and so I will be able to get all the details and post on the other thread later today or tomarrow.

One of the first things they all mentioned was that they didn't think the Pearl was as nice or as passenger friendly as the Star or the Dawn.

I will get the details and post later. I am now off to take the cat to the vet.....and then probably get stiches myself after dealing with him....lol:D

Anxious to hear what they thought, now that they're home. Good luck with the cat Keystone, that's why I have a mobile vet, far less bloody!

Happy Sails!!

Romy

I'm back and I had an absolutely fabulous time! I can't really write a full re-cap right now, but here are a few things:

Juneau: we did the Mendenhall Glacier/Glacier Gardens tour. Weather was phenomenal. Our tour guide said he hadn't seen the mountains off in the distance for several weeks.

Skagway: we did the White Pass Railroad and Gold Dredge Tour. Weather and scenery were great. Our tour guide (Harry) was a great guide - funny and extremely informative.

Glacier Bay: I can't say it enough, but we chose the best week weather-wise. The National Park Service Ranger onboard said that she had never seen everything so clearly. Yeah, it was a little cold (that's obviously expect), but it ended up getting warmer as the day progressed.

Ketchikan: Didn't do any tours. Just shopped. Weather was a little drizzly when we got off the ship, but after a few minutes the rain had stopped for the rest of the time we were in port.

Victoria: The only bad day weather-wise. It was raining pretty good, but we didn't have any tours planned. Took a taxi into the city center and shopped (bought Harry Potter!).

We went to Cagney's, La Cucina, and Lotus Garden. I don't have any complaints whatsoever about those restaurants.

I'll echo what a few people said about seating - it's not the best.

I didn't have any problems at the buffet. I never saw any dropped plates - just one dropped drink. Seating was hard to come by when we were at sea, but that was expected (obviously people aren't going to want to sit outside by the pool when it's breezy and a little chilly).

Feel free to ask questions!

All right here we go: First, everyones burning question....no stitches needed for me from the cat's trip to the vet...actually an uneventful trip.

My parents sailed last week on the Pearl and lmt219 posted her review before I talked to them, but it sounded almost identical. Some background: My parents (both 78) and their friends went on this cruise as part of a group from the travel agency that we use. They sailed the Star on the same itinerary in 2005 and loved it and decided to go back. Normally, our extended family goes, but this year the rest of us have committed our funds to Disney World and couldn't afford two vacations! I was quite concerned before they left because my dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease just over a month ago and is just begining treatment for that. (his doctor said the trip would do him good though.) But in the end they had a great trip and no problems thanks to Southwest Airlines and the Travel Agency that we use.

Embarkation in Seattle: No problems. Quick and easy. My parents were Lattitudes members but they said the main lines were moving quick also.

Ports: lmt pretty much summed them up. I will add that my parents were very impressed once again with Shaun, the Port and Cruise Consultant. He was on one of our previous cruises and is one of the best in the fleet.

He tries to help you find what you are looking for and doesn't try and sway you to one store or another like many P&C's do.

My parents did the tramway in Juneau and enjoyed that trip. They did not do shore excursions in Skagway or Ketchikan because they have been there 4 times, they simply wandered the shops and got some deals. They did not get off the ship in Victoria.

Glacier Bay: The most perfect weather they have ever had in four trips to GB. They said the Captain put the ship closer to the Glacier face than any ship they have been on and the manuvering of the ship so that all sides could see was really a plus. (they said also the warmest day of the week...lol)

Disembarkation: They were in the second color group and were off the ship by 8:45. Once again, SeaTac was a nightmare they said. Long waits all over the place for check in and security. They had a 1:30 p.m. flight and got to the gate area about 12:15 they said. With my dad's Parkinson's disease, he had a letter from his doctor to pre-board all flights (Southwest - no assigned seating) because he can't handle crowds. He said that Southwest treated him fantasticaly and was more helpful than any airline he had been on.

Now for the different areas of the ship:

Buffet: They liked the variety that the action stations provided. They said the buffet food on the Pearl was better than any other NCL ship they have been on. But they didn't like a couple of things about the buffet: 1.) The indoor seating area was too small and cramped for all the people that choose to eat there. Since it was cool, very few people ate outside on the back terrace or the pool deck. (the back deck buffet was closed on two days due to rain they said.)

2.) The chairs are uncomfortable and hard to move.

3.) There is only one drink station (on the Dawn there was four) and it was very hard to get drinks due to the location and set-up.

4.) NO TRAYS. This is their single biggest complaint. Based on a suggestion on this board, they even asked for a tray. "we don't have trays" was the answer they always got. Another couple from the TA group that they were with gave up eating in the buffet because they could not handle the plates without trays. I'm not sure what the reasoning was for no trays, but it is VERY inconsiderate of the elderly and those with handicaps and diseases like Parkinson's. I hope NCL reconsiders this serious problem.

Grand Atrium: Like the person on another review said, the Grand Atrium is not as nice as on the Star and Dawn, no winding staircases and plant area. They said the Giant Video screen is annoying and just plain ruins the beauty of the area. I asked them what was shown on the giant screen and they said: "commercials."

Main Restaurants: They ate at Summer Palace once (their friends twice) and they did not go back because of the furniture. The chairs were too big (even dad said he couldn't sit back in his chair) and mom was very uncomfortable the whole meal. She even asked if they could bring her a different chair and she was told no because it would ruin the ambiance of the room.

Most of their meals were in Indigo, where a very nice Maitre'd took them under his wing and helped them out. Indigo was more crowded than Summer Palace and they were told that it had been that way since Summer Palace went to No jeans. My parents friends said that there were always tables available in Summer Palace while there was a line at Indigo. They said the food quality in Indigo was better than Summer Palace, but service was slower in both restaurants than on the Dawn & Star. (now as far as the food comment, I don't even believe that one since the food for both restaurants comes from the SAME kitchen.)

Specialty Restaurants: They ate at Cagney's the first night and said it was no where near as good as the same restaurant on the Dawn & Star. Once again, a furniture complaint about the chairs. (and my parent's friends NEVER complain about furniture and they did on this ship!). The said the meat was not of as good a quality as on the other ships and the preperation wasn't either.

They tried to get into the Italian Restaurant every day, but with the new reservation system, it was almost impossible. You can only make reservations for that day or the next day and the reservation desk opens at 7:00 a.m.. Those in the high end suites and high lattitude levels have priority for reservations and can make them for all week. As a result there are very few slots open for the "common folk" as my parents friends dubbed themselves. (and hardly any between 6:00 and 8:00) Calling doesn't work because so many people are that you can't get through. By the time my parent's friend would get to the reservation desk, most reservations for the specialty restaurants were gone (except for the very late times after 9:00.). She even tried for LeBistro...nope

They were finally able to get into the Italian restaurant on the last night. (actually there was lots of open tables that night in all the specialty restaurants because the vast majority of passengers were off ship in Victoria.) They said the food was very good and do reccommend the restaurant IF you can get into it.

Sounds to me as if NCL needs to revisit this policy again. Perhaps limit the suite people to two reservations per week and let them take their chances the rest of the week with the "common people."

Blue Lagoon: They like the set-up of this restaurant much better than on the Dawn or Star. Much more relaxed and a great place for a quick bite. (best chairs of any restaurant on board was my mom's comment... no mom, its a question about the food....lol)

Cabins: Very similar to the ones on the Star and Dawn. No complaints. Their cabin steward, Oscar, was excellent!

Stardust Theater: another complaint about seating. No leg room! They also didn't think the acoustics and atmosphere was as good as the other ships. They only saw one show as a result of being uncomfortable.

Casino: My parents friends frequented the casino. Said it was the same as the Dawn and Star but didn't think the slots paid out as much as on the other ships.

Art Auctions: Always a highlight for my dad. He didn't like them and so he didn't go after the first one. They now do not include framing with most artwork you purchase and they have now added a 15% service charge to your purchase.

Staff: Another fine crew they said. Always friendly, always helpful. They loved the Bingo crew...spent time just talking with them and they had a blast with them. (yes, Dad's winning ways stand...over $300 on one game.) Since my parents don't drink, they gave the bingo bunch their wine they got from Lattitudes...for which they got much appreciation. Best Cruise Directors staff they have ever met they said. (now when I asked them who the cruise director was...they didn't know because they never interacted with him and said that he wasn't as visable as Matt Baker and Kieron on the last two cruises.)

Overall they did not like the Pearl as much as the Star or the Dawn. They felt that NCL tried to make it "too grand" and took away some of the passenger friendliness of the ship. Dad described it as if they went for "grandness" and image rather than functionality. We are talking the ship itself and its rooms and furniture and not the crew or cruise itself.

They enjoyed their cruise and hopefully we can find something for us all to go on in 2009 on NCL. We are going RCCL in 2008 only because there is no NCL itinerary that appeals to us.

Fire away with questions and I will pick their brains some more!

Buffet:

3.) There is only one drink station (on the Dawn there was four) and it was very hard to get drinks due to the location and set-up.

Grand Atrium: I asked them what was shown on the giant screen and they said: "commercials."

Casino: My parents friends frequented the casino. Said it was the same as the Dawn and Star but didn't think the slots paid out as much as on the other ships.

Hi, Keystone. I hope you don't mind how I edited your quote in the interest of space.

Buffet: There are actually two drink stations, but one is less noticeable. Maybe this will come in handy for someone else. It is further aft, down the hall a little bit towards the "kid's cafe" and entrance to the back patio. Some days at breakfast I saw an additional "drink cart" up against a wall near the back of the first seating section. The cart had pitchers of juice and milk on it. I'm not a coffee drinker and didn't notice if there were any hot beverages.

Crystal Atrium: The only thing I ever saw on the big screen were Wii games and jewelry presentations. I know they showed a few movies there, too, but it isn't anything like a theater- the seating is quite limited.

Casino: Everyone I talked to said the slots were not paying out. My DH was lucky at the tables, he won $500 on Let It Ride!

I'm sorry that your parents didn't enjoy themselves as much as they had in the past.

Specialty Restaurants:

They tried to get into the Italian Restaurant every day, but with the new reservation system, it was almost impossible. You can only make reservations for that day or the next day and the reservation desk opens at 7:00 a.m.. Those in the high end suites and high lattitude levels have priority for reservations and can make them for all week. As a result there are very few slots open for the "common folk" as my parents friends dubbed themselves. (and hardly any between 6:00 and 8:00) Calling doesn't work because so many people are that you can't get through. By the time my parent's friend would get to the reservation desk, most reservations for the specialty restaurants were gone (except for the very late times after 9:00.). She even tried for LeBistro...nope

Sounds to me as if NCL needs to revisit this policy again. Perhaps limit the suite people to two reservations per week and let them take their chances the rest of the week with the "common people."

Fire away with questions and I will pick their brains some more!

Keystone ~

You know.... you and I agree on just about everything...BUT...high end suites pay "in-advance" for those dinner reservations:)

"Common-folks" as your parents call them....pay less but want the suite price perks:confused:

As always in life...you get what you pay for!

I pay the high price for the perks. I would not expect the priority restaurant reservations if I did not pay for them;)

How can you limit the high paying customers??

What would they be paying for? 2 reservations per week?

Not worth the many $$$ difference in price:(

Keystone ~

You know.... you and I agree on just about everything...BUT...high end suites pay "in-advance" for those dinner reservations:)

"Common-folks" as your parents call them....pay less but want the suite price perks:confused:

As always in life...you get what you pay for!

I pay the high price for the perks. I would not expect the priority restaurant reservations if I did not pay for them;)

How can you limit the high paying customers??

What would they be paying for? 2 reservations per week?

Not worth the many $$$ difference in price:(

Cosmo, regardless of our difference of opinion on this issue (may be a first for us...), I respect your opinion just as I know you respect mine.

I think NCL has to find a solution to this problem. Regardless of how much one is paying, it is not fair for a small percentage of the ship to monopolize the specialty restaurants. The ship is not just for those in the high end suites and the ship can't operate with just those in the high end suites. They need the ship full of passengers to pay the bills and if the people in the lower priced cabins cannot get reservations AT all, then something is wrong.

I have not yet sailed NCL since they instituted the new reservation system but under the old system (where you could book all week.), I never had a problem getting reservations for any restaurant (never tried for Tepperanaki though) early in the week. On most occasions, I was making them for a larger group (9, 12 or 18) and still never had a problem.

When someone has to get up (while on vacation) go at 7:00 a.m. in the morning to get reservations for the next day and then can't even get a reservation for 2 in any of the specialty restaurants, then there is something wrong with the system. (My parents don't eat Italian or European so my parents friends were going alone.)

Are we going back to ships like the really old days, (Titanic era) when the ship was literally divided by classes? Those who had the money were in one section and those in the lower class were literally LOCKED out of areas?? That is what this sounds like to me! Those in the upper class get to eat in the "nice" dining rooms and those not paying that amount get relegated to the "main" dining rooms. Doesn't sound fair at all.

Perhaps instead of restricting each suite person to 2 reservations per week, the coinceirge would only be allowed to book up half of each restaurant each night at all times with suite guests. Then the other half would be allowed in the free for all reservations. If the suite guests can't get the time or restaurant they want through the coincerge...then they can join the free for all.

The era of "class" systems is hopefully fast fading in society as it already has on most cruise ships. I have never felt "below" those in the high end suites on any NCL cruise that I have take and I have never felt "above" those in ocean view or insides since I was in a balcony. The actions of the cruise line and the crew were why. If the specialty restaurants are becoming "controlled" by the high end suites.....then NCL is taking a step backward into a class system.

Archived