What would you do?

kiraryker

Well I've already booked our flights from Minneapolis to Jan Juan for January 27th 2008 - we are suppose to get in at 2:25pm and our Carnival rep said that was plenty of time to get on the ship-I believe they leave at 8pm.

Well now I'm getting paranoid and thinking we should fly in a day early but to change the tickets would cost us an additional $390.00 plus the hotel room of course.

What would you "seasoned" travelers do?????

Well I've already booked our flights from Minneapolis to Jan Juan for January 27th 2008 - we are suppose to get in at 2:25pm and our Carnival rep said that was plenty of time to get on the ship-I believe they leave at 8pm.

Well now I'm getting paranoid and thinking we should fly in a day early but to change the tickets would cost us an additional $390.00 plus the hotel room of course.

If it were ME, and you can afford it, I would fly in the day before! Think of it THIS way: the additional cost to fly in a day early, OR, the cost of missing the ship and having to fly, at your expense, to the first port! I would fly in the day before and relax, then get on the ship the next day!!

Destiny doesnt leave until 10pm and they want you onboard by 9pm. Is your flight non stop? At this point I wouldnt spend the extra $390+...but thats me.

Yes it is a non stop flight from Minneapolis, MN to San Juan

If I had travel insurance would it cover if we missed the ship because of weather delay with the airline?

Depends on the policy, but I believe most would. Leaving from a cold and snowy climate in the winter, its always good to fly in a day in advance.

One way flights from San Juan to St Thoma run about $120 on American Airlines.

My wife and I actually missed the ship in San Juan on our honeymoon 9 years ago. Delta Airlines was understaffed in Houston, and long story short, caused us to miss our flight to Atlanta. By the time we got to Atlanta, the next flight to San Juan would have caused us to arrive after the ship left port. Delta was kind enough to fly us to St. Thomas where we boarded the ship the next morning. The net result was that we missed one night (about 10 hours) on the ship. We ended up spending the night at a great 4 star resort so it worked out, however, it was very stressful.

My recommendation: you have plenty of time to make it to the port from the airport if EVERYTHING is on schedule. However, the wise choice, if you can afford it would be to go in the day before, that way you take no chances. Either way, enjoy your cruise. Those itinerarys in the southern Carib. are great. :)

I was in a very similar situation myself this past January. I was cruising with my family and they were all on a flight that go in around 8 or 9 am (from Tampa). Mine came in from NY around 1 or 2 in the afternoon, ship left around the same time as yours does. Sure, there was the posibility of getting a snow storm and having flight delays/cancellations, but that isn't something you can control or predict. To me it wasn't worth the inconvenience of flying down the night before , or being on the first flight out in the morning either. I had no problems and was on board many hours before the ship left.

Just remember, you're flying from Minnesota, snow capital of the states, in January. When I fly to SJ from Cleveland, I always go in a day ahead of time. However, you already have your flights, so it's not just costing you the price of the hotel. Conundrum. I think you have plenty of time to get to the ship if the sun is shining in MN, but if snow delays are serious...I think I would change flights.

Just remember, you're flying from Minnesota, snow capital of the states, in January.

I guess that is what is worrying me. I've never went anywhere in January (I live in ND so we are usually snowed in) so I don't know how often they have weather problems.

And does anyone know the cost for a nice hotel by the ship docks where we could just walk to?

Hmmmm don't know what to do.:confused::confused:

And does anyone know the cost for a nice hotel by the ship docks where we could just walk to?

Hmmmm don't know what to do.:confused::confused:

Sheraton Old San Juan is right across the street from where the ship docks. If you book it directly, I think it in the $200+ range. Some have gotten it on Hotwire and Priceline for around $100-125.

Well I've already booked our flights from Minneapolis to Jan Juan for January 27th 2008

Well now I'm getting paranoid and thinking we should fly in a day early

From Minneapolis...

I think you've answered your own question.;)

If you can afford it flying in the day before is almost always the best option.

I would pray there aren't any weather delays. But, January in Minnesota? Wow...don't think that I would take the chance on the day of the sailing.

I have a co-worker who is leaving on the Glory on Saturday. She and her husband are flying down the day of departure. They don't land in Orlando until 1:57 and the ship leaves at 4PM. She doesn't even leave our hometown airport until the port opens for embarkation! What is it about Carnival and their flight scheduling?

Anyway, if I could afford it, I would switch and fly down early. I know Minneapolis is pretty good about clearing snow from the runways but I don't think I would want to chance a whiteout cancelling my cruise.

Sheraton Old San Juan is right across the street from where the ship docks. If you book it directly, I think it in the $200+ range. Some have gotten it on Hotwire and Priceline for around $100-125.

OK now the hotel problem - I checked and the Sheraton Old San Juan is booked for those dates - any other hotels in that location??

:confused::confused:

Considering the number of times I have had flights delayed or cancelled in or out of MSP airport, I think it would be wise to make the change. If you cannot afford it, you may consider going standby the day of the trip (check if there are any early flights that day, and how full they are).

Sounds like your decision is really whether it is worth ~500 dollars to avoid being stressed out about missing the ship.

(Was this by any chance booked through Carnival?)

OK now the hotel problem - I checked and the Sheraton Old San Juan is booked for those dates - any other hotels in that location??

:confused::confused:

Can't say about anything being as close as the Sheraton, which is literally walking distance, but if you're searching you want northern San Juan area.

We actually stayed in Condado when we sailed the Destiny. About 20 minutes by taxi if memory serves, but we could still see the ship from the hotel.

TravelGuard insurance covers the cost for trip delays including getting you to the next port plus expenses. For me, money is tight and I wouldn't want to spend the extra money. If you can afford to waste the money on a gamble, make the switch. Your call.

But I don't live in winter weather so I'm not as familiary with flight problems in snow season.

Last time we were in San Juan, I booked on Priceline for $100. and ended up with a suite. The only problem was security for VP Dick Chaney who was making a speech there. I've had great luck with hotels and Priceline.

I'm not a seasoned cruiser, but I am a seasoned Minnesotan. You never know what the weather will do in MSP. For peace of mind, I'm flying out a day earlier just the week before you.

Only other thing to consider is are you on the first flight of the day? Are there others within hours that could also get you to San Juan by 10pm?

Are you flying nonstop, so you'll ONLY have our horrendous weather to deal with?

$390 might be a bargain, might not. You could wait to see weather reports and change flight for day before or so if necessary.

Have a fun cruise.

I'm not a seasoned cruiser, but I am a seasoned Minnesotan. You never know what the weather will do in MSP. For peace of mind, I'm flying out a day earlier just the week before you.

Only other thing to consider is are you on the first flight of the day? Are there others within hours that could also get you to San Juan by 10pm?

Are you flying nonstop, so you'll ONLY have our horrendous weather to deal with?

$390 might be a bargain, might not. You could wait to see weather reports and change flight for day before or so if necessary.

Have a fun cruise.

Yes it is a non stop flight but the only flight to San Juan for the day - so if for some reason they can't leave I believe we are stuck??

Archived