Upgrade certificate

dres40

I just booked a cruise today for Feb 08 on the Dawn. Wouldn't you know in the mail today was a one category free upgrade certificate from NCL. I just left a message with my Travel Agent. Do you think I can use it if I'm already booked? Has anyone done that?

Maybe, maybe not.

All those "free upgrade promotions are often from a different price structure. It is all smoke and mirrors. Just like On Board Credits. They are often tied to higher prices to make it look better.

Also, most promo's like that apply to NEW BOOKINGS. Sure, you MIGHT be able to cancel the one you have and try to rebook, but your cabin may be gone and the price may be higher.

Good Luck.

Honestly, you probably aren't missing out on much. Most of those upgrade certs are for a catagory jump, but WITHIN CABIN TYPE! They are for the perception of getting something free, more than anything else. ;) So you won't go from an inside to an outside, or an outside to a balcony....you will just go from one catagory of inside to the "next" catagory of inside. That usually just means you move up a deck or two; an inside "N" may be on Deck 4, and with a certificate you will move up to an "M" or "L" catagory, which would be an inside on Deck 5 or 6.....or sometimes the next catagory is the same inside, on the same deck, just more centered in mid-ship (which are "prefered" cabins). Rarely is cabin size any different. I have received/used "upgrade" certs for as many as a three-catagory jump; it usually moved me up a deck or two, that was all.

I would suggest it really isn't all that big a deal to go through a lot of hassle just to move up a deck or just to another cabin down the hall.

That is my two cents....the best part of all of it is that you have an upcoming cruise! Have a wonderful time! :D

These replies make me feel better. I am really happy with the cabin and the price we got. If I can't upgrade, no big deal.

The certificate is good for any cruise booked by Jan. 08. I will hold on to it and maybe use it on the next cruise.

Thank you all very much! :)

What catagory cabin are you in? We received an upgrade certificate also. We are booked in a BA for the 5/11/08 Pearl to Alaska. I called CS to ask about my options (thinking maybe I could upgrade to an AF?). I was told that since we are already booked in a BA that I couldn't upgrade but if I sent the cert. in that our fares would be reduced by two catagories. Not sure how accurate the info was but if true it means I get the BA for the BC price. Not a great amount of savings but every little bit helps.

Call and check. You may still get a good deal.:D

Im not sure i understand about an "upgrade certificate"??? are those the points you earn from your NCL Credit Card?? Now, Bank of America?

It was a thank you card after doing a one night cruise in May. I still need to check if I can use it. My TA never got back to me :confused:

It was a thank you card after doing a one night cruise in May. I still need to check if I can use it. My TA never got back to me :confused:

Another not so great TA story. I am totally convinced now that my next cruise will be booked directly with cruise line. Have 3 cruises booked now-each with a different TA. Was hoping I would find a really good one. 3x is charm as they say so thats it for me. They get the commission and u do most of the calling and searching when u find a price drop and then they can't be reached. I feel for you. Keep pestering thats the only way. Good luck:)

Another not so great TA story. I am totally convinced now that my next cruise will be booked directly with cruise line. Have 3 cruises booked now-each with a different TA. Was hoping I would find a really good one. 3x is charm as they say so thats it for me. They get the commission and u do most of the calling and searching when u find a price drop and then they can't be reached. I feel for you. Keep pestering thats the only way. Good luck:)

Thanks! I called my TA today and was told to Fax the certificate to NCL. Hopefully will know tomorrow.

all you can do is ask. After week booked for our october cruise they had the onboard credit special for booking, I called NCL directly (we booked direct) and they honored it. Doesn't hurt to ask. Good Luck.

I just booked a cruise today for Feb 08 on the Dawn. Wouldn't you know in the mail today was a one category free upgrade certificate from NCL. I just left a message with my Travel Agent. Do you think I can use it if I'm already booked? Has anyone done that?

• 1 month later...

:)

They gave me a hard time, but my TA got them to upgrade me from a BB to a BA.

I think NCL didn’t want to upgrade me or give me the price of a BC because the prices for all categories are now the same. But they weren’t when I booked.

I know it's still a bal. cabin, just up one deck.

But if they mail out those upgrade cert., they should honor them.

Thanks for all the replies

BA, BB, BC - they are really all the same. In fact, on one recent cruise, we asked to be "downgraded" to a BC because the BA was under the pool deck.

Some of their "logic" as to which cabins are better often show little logic.

You may have expended alot of energy for nothing, or less.

Archived