Ied Tea - Is it as bad as I have hear?

StarWarsGal

I love my Iced Tea, and I have read that the tea on Carnival ships is terrible? :( I like the brewed tea, not the canned Nestea or Lipton. In fact water and tea are the only things my Husband will drink.

Does anyone know why their tea is bad? I mean if you can prepare lobster, what is so hard about brewing tea. If McDonald's can do it, why can't Carnival? :confused:

I love my Iced Tea, and I have read that the tea on Carnival ships is terrible? :( I like the brewed tea, not the canned Nestea or Lipton. In fact water and tea are the only things my Husband will drink.

Does anyone know why their tea is bad? I mean if you can prepare lobster, what is so hard about brewing tea. If McDonald's can do it, why can't Carnival? :confused:

Boy, I need to proof my stuff before I submit. Sorry for all the typos!

It only midly resembles tea - it's strange stuff.

That being said, you can ALWAYS get tea bags and hot water on the Lido Deck. Make it strong, add some ice, and you're all set. I've done this a few times.

Many people also seem to hate the hot chocolate on the Lido Deck. As an experiment, I ordered a hot chocolate at the pastry shop, then got a mug of free hot chocolate on the Lido Deck - I preferred the free stuff!

It's awful....with funny brown stuff in your cup that is not like anything you have seen or want to see. I agree with the poster that mentioned brewing your tea and pouring it over ice. If you are that much of a tea drinker, you may want to bring a thermos with you and make a larger amount from the tea bags at night so it will be cooled off by morning.

I can't believe how many people said they did'nt like it. :( My DH and I love the tea, it tastes really good. It taste the same in the dining room as on the Lido. At times it is to strong but does'nt happen that often. After you taste it on your cruise let us know what you think of it. When are you crusing? I drank at least 10 cups of tea each day and I've been on many and have been excited about having the tea again on each cruise.:D

I can't believe how many people said they did'nt like it. :( My DH and I love the tea, it tastes really good. It taste the same in the dining room as on the Lido. At times it is to strong but does'nt happen that often. After you taste it on your cruise let us know what you think of it. When are you crusing? I drank at least 10 cups of tea each day and I've been on many and have been excited about having the tea again on each cruise.:D

Being from SC, drinking Iced Tea is like breathing air. . . . It is something you do everyday without thinking. I brew a gallon everyday. Since you seemed to like the tea, I am wondering how do you make your tea at home? I may be wrong, but it sounds like you only drink tea on a cruise. If this is so, you don't really know what good brewed tea tastes like. And boy are you missing out if this is so. It is the difference between powdered milk :eek: and whole milk.

I am a self professed tea snob and I had no problem with the iced tea on Carnival. I agree that for some reason it does taste better in the dining room. The coffee on the other hand is a whole other "cup of tea" HA HA HA HA.

No offense here....but I have to agree that tea in the south is like nothing else you have ever had. We live and breath it. For those of us that brew tea daily, there is no way we are going to drink that stuff they call tea on the ship. Again, no offense but the south has the north beat all over on "iced tea." :)

And just for clarification, I have lived up north so I have had what northerners call tea as well.

No offense here....but I have to agree that tea in the south is like nothing else you have ever had. We live and breath it. For those of us that brew tea daily, there is no way we are going to drink that stuff they call tea on the ship. Again, no offense but the south has the north beat all over on "iced tea." :)

And just for clarification, I have lived up north so I have had what northerners call tea as well.

I take it you make the "sweatea"? I've heard about that. Never had it. I bet I would become an addict. Sounds wonderful. Ok, I guess this yankee isn't as much of tea snob as others.:D

Ain't that the truth. I live in Northern Virginia, and although we are still considered 'the South,' you sure as heck can't get good iced tea around here. Sweet or not.

As for tea on the ship, I only had it in the dining room and it took A LOT of sweetner to make it drinkable. And then it was only ok.

I have a couple of "recipes" to make the iced tea drinkable. As a self-proclaimed cheapskate, I refuse to buy a $2 can of soda.

Sweet tea: pour a little iced tea in an empty cup. Add a "whole lot" of sugar - depending on how far south you live:D . Then add ice (no lemon of course).

Yankee tea: add sugar or not as described above, then squeeze in a couple of lemon wedges and stick one of them into the glass. Refreshing!

Adding sugar before adding ice allows the sugar to dissolve better.

That is what I was trying to say without ruffling any feathers. We southerns really know our tea. Just like the people from Maine know great Lobster.

I have come to the conclusion that I will bring a box of Luzziane and my tea maker and just make mine in the room. Tea sounds like a trivial part of your life until you can't have it for 7 days!

That is like going without chocolate for a month! (which just ain't going to happen!)

I didn't think the tea was bad except for 1 day where it obviously was WAY WAY WAY too much concentrate.

That being said, I'd be careful bringing your tea maker as they MAY deem it to be a fire hazard. I'd imagine you could order a pitcher of ice, a pitcher of hot water & tea bags from room service & keep your own fresh brewed.

Well, I am a tea drinker. I drink somewhere in the neighborhood of 32-144 oz of tea per day in hot and cold form. As a good Northern boy, I cannot stand any pollutants in my tea (including, :eek: sugar), straight tea for me; and I have a combination allergy that I cannot have black teas with citrus, so lemon is right out! I have to say that the iced tea on the Destiny three weeks ago, was about your standard brewed Lipton, Luzianne or Red Rose or similar type tea. Nothing special, pretty average. But, still better than what McDonald's serves. :)

I didn't really find any difference between what the DR served and what was available in the Lido. I did, however, order English Breakfast tea for my desserts and although it took a while for the first night, after that, my water was ready for me each night with a bag of EB. I think he ended up stealing a stash from the buffet area because they originally didn't have them in the DR until after I asked.

Perhaps it varies from ship to ship what they serve as iced tea?

Just got off Conquest, and I drank iced tea all the time and thought it tasted fine!

Proper ratio for "sweetea" is 1 cup sugar to 2 quarts tea:eek: . As taught to me by the family elders. :D

Always sweeten when hot or you'll never get that much sugar to dissolve. I grew up on this but haven't made it in years - we always brewed it on the stovetop in a saucepan with 4 teabags, brought it to a boil and then let it sit (or "set" depending on how far south you are:p ) for 20 minutes - pour over the 1 cup sugar into the pitcher, stir, and top off with cold water to make the 2 quarts.

Yummy!!!

i don't drink iced tea (being a Yankee), but DH does (he's from AL) ... he said the prepared tea on both the Liberty & the Fantasy was undrinkable, but he was perfectly happy brewing a fresh cup of tea for himself & pouring it over ice, which is what he does at the office every day anyway :)

i believe the stuff served onboard at the buffet is instant (powdered) iced tea, which is why it is so distasteful to you Southerners; not sure about what they serve in the dining room, but it seems likely it's the same thing.

I don't drink Alcohol (Tea Totaller) and didn't want to spend a lot of $ on Soda's, so I figured I would just live off of Iced Tea and Juices on my Inspiration Cruise. I was on board for 30 minutes and then decided to get the Soda Card.

I love Iced Tea...but I could not stand it on the Crusie Ship. Horrible!!!:eek:

I have to say that the iced tea on the Destiny three weeks ago, was about your standard brewed Lipton, Luzianne or Red Rose or similar type tea. Nothing special, pretty average. But, still better than what McDonald's serves. :)

I guess it is a North/South Thing. My Wife is addicted to McDonalds Iced Tea. I like it too.

Bojangles Iced Tea is just as Good....MMMMM!!!:D

Archived