A&K Barge Cruises

Janet524

I just read a thread from July 10th that gave A&K a less than stellar review. DH and I thought that A&K had a good reputation and have booked a cruise for next May. Has anyone else had an experience with A&K? I'm hoping that the poster from July 10th was the exception, but must admit I'm getting a bit nervous. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Im the person who made the earlier post.

This was my first trip through A&K, so I can not speak to the expirence with them beyond this trip. Also, keep in mind that they only sold me a trip on another cpmpany's barge.

The aspect of their service I am most dissappointed with is their lack of backbone in trying to resolve our complaints regarding our trip. The only follow up we have recieved from them is that the barge owner dispute our complaints as actual.

We did an A&K barge in Burgundy in Sep 2004. I don't know if it was a barge owned by A&K or just sold through them. Our trip was outstanding. It was priced quite reasonably for an A&K trip. The barge held 22 passengers - the rooms were tiny tiny but we did not spend much time in them. Sorry your experience was so bad.

The best part of our trip was the driver/guide. We went to tourist spots and some out of the way places. Our guide knew so much about each stop. He had made it a point to read anything he could find about the places we toured.

The luxury barges of French Country Waterways cost more than twice what we paid. We did not have great cabins, dinner at a 3 star restaurant or a glich free cruise. But we did not spend $3500pp for the 6 night cruise.

We would love to take another barge trip. My concern is that OAT (a branch of Elderhostel) has taken over several of the barges.

We just returned from a Danube cruise on the river cloud, booked through AK and listed in their brochures. Shortly before we left I emailed AK to ask for more info about shore excursions, as there were 3 or 4 offered, each with 1 line descriptions- as in " walking tour Mohacs. 2 hours." They told me that they only sold the tickets, they had nothing to do with cruise, and if I had any questions to ask my TA. Who is she supposed to ask?

Archived