half moon cay/triumph

beachgal58

will be sailin the trimuph in sept, have read reports that tendering is terrible, that if we do not get in the rome lounge by 8:30 to get a numbered ticket, we will not get off the ship until noon? that the lines r up to the 3rd deck. anyone take an excusrion that was decent? like maybe the snorkeling? we want off but i need input please! cindy

When we went to HMC we were on the Zuiderdam. They did use this huge double-decker tender to shuttle people to and from the island. I can't imagine it's going to take all that long to get everyone off the ship. We went to the tender line around 9:00 and there were only a few people in the line.

We were also the only ship at HMC, so I suppose this process might take longer if there are two ships visiting the island that day.

Our first cruise was on the Triumph. The only tender port we went to was Grand Cayman, and we didn't have a problem getting off the ship. We'd bought an excursion through the ship (so we'd be one of the first off the ship), but at that time, no one asked us to show them this ticket. They may have changed how they do this, but back then (it was in 2002) we met the group in a lounge and someone took us to the tender area. As we walked, we had people who joined in our group who were not on the excursion.

thanks pals, i hope they use the double deckers! a gal on our roll call thread said maybe 10:30-11 the lines would be down..thats fine. since we r only at the island until 3 ish..

i have never had a tender ticket either. we have been to grand cayman several times, we just went down and got on. one time, the tender had to be returned, it was broken, we had to stand there about 30 min until a new came back. didnt seem bad, but we were the next in line.

dont really want to book an excursion, this seems like a great beach day, excursions look poor..cindy

I really think with the new tenders, they'll have everyone off the ship earlier than you think. It would be a bit slower if there is more than one ship at HMC, but like Bruce said...those tenders hold a lot of people and it doesn't take long to get to the island from the ship. And from what I can remember of the tenders in GC, the ones they use at HMC are a lot bigger.

When we were at HMC, I don't recall anyone having to get a tender ticket. They may have...we had a cabana...but I just don't remember hearing anything about that.

It is pretty much a beach day. HMC is our favorite "beach" place. :)

I really think with the new tenders, they'll have everyone off the ship earlier than you think. It would be a bit slower if there is more than one ship at HMC, but like Bruce said...those tenders hold a lot of people and it doesn't take long to get to the island from the ship. And from what I can remember of the tenders in GC, the ones they use at HMC are a lot bigger.

When we were at HMC, I don't recall anyone having to get a tender ticket. They may have...we had a cabana...but I just don't remember hearing anything about that.

It is pretty much a beach day. HMC is our favorite "beach" place. :)

Well we were there with another ship. The Zuiderdam, being the larger ship, got the use of the larger tenders. The Volenadam used her own tenders.

I agree, one ship will get the use of the big tenders and should have no problems.

Well we were there with another ship. The Zuiderdam, being the larger ship, got the use of the larger tenders. The Volenadam used her own tenders.

I agree, one ship will get the use of the big tenders and should have no problems.

That's good to know (about the other ship). Getting to and from the island was really a snap. Even coming back when the line was LONG it didn't take that long.

OK, I get that both Holland America and Carnival tender at HMC. My question is, do they have use of the same facilities? Same section of beach and stores/things to see? Or are there two completely different sections of HMC, one for each cruise line? I know the two lines are owned by the same company, but is there a difference? (BTW, I am on Carnival, not Holland America).

Thanks,

Robin

OK, I get that both Holland America and Carnival tender at HMC. My question is, do they have use of the same facilities? Same section of beach and stores/things to see? Or are there two completely different sections of HMC, one for each cruise line? I know the two lines are owned by the same company, but is there a difference? (BTW, I am on Carnival, not Holland America).

Thanks,

Robin

No difference. They use the same facilities. If you stop to think about it, I can't imagine that Carnival Corp would spend the money to built totally separate facilities for the different cruise lines. The reason Carnival uses HMC is because it was already totally developed by HAL, so essentially it is free.

Thanks Bruce-r (Funny, my husband is Bruce and my name is Robin--Bruce-r would work for me!) Yes, I kind of figured that it would be ridiculous for them to have two locations, but HAL had a beautiful portion of their website devoted to it, and there were HAL flags flying. Then they showed a map of the island; it's a lot bigger than the developed area, and I thought MAYBE they had two areas. I guess they change the flags according to whoever is there? I can't wait--it looks gorgeous.

Archived