Millennium 01 August 04 Venice to Barcelona

HelloSailor

Just returned from this cruise. Had a wonderful time once again but just a couple of things to mention. Does anybody else have a problem with Guest Relations Desk? We checked our bill and realised we'd been charged twice for tips to our second cabin. Went to clear this up in a very polite way. As I was leaving the desk heard a snappy young girl say "just my luck to get one of those today". !!!! This was only our second time to the desk and both times had very unpleasant service.

Also a tip for those thinking of Sky Suite 6145. Beautiful suite no doubt. Fab bathroom (although nasty drain smell - we called it our Celebrity Smell - came and went thoughout cruise) and very comfy cabin BUT this cabin on Millennium has no awning over it. Therefore, the smokers on Deck 10 lean over the balcony up there and send their ash down on top of you. This happened regulary. Also, kids found it funny to throw things down on to you when you were sun bathing. Always found dead matches and bits of lettuce and tomato on the balcony in the mornings.

One other point. Don't you think it's time to change the menu in the specialty restaurants. It was wonderful but we knew what the menu would be.

Same, I'm afraid with the entertainment. If they want people to keep coming back, they have to change things more often.

Perhaps we'll look at Crystal next time.

We are booked on this same cruise next June. Would like information about your ports of call. Did you book with Celebrity or do on your own? What did you like best? What would you say was the highlight of the ports of call? Did you stay pre-cruise in Venice? If so where, and how did you like your hotel.

Any info will be appreciated:)

It was a fabulous cruise. We are from the UK and flew to Venice independently and stayed at the Bauer Venezia. Fantastic hotel in a wonderful location. The Palazzo at the Bauer is supposed to be even nicer, but we loved the Bauer. Our room overlooked a side canal and you could hear gondoliers singing. Magical.

Dubrovnik we took the shuttle to the old town and walked the walls. Very hot but lovely.

We went to Katakolon as Athens/Pireaus was cancelled. Nothing much there.

Mykonos, we'd done before so just wandered around and shopped.

Santorini was beautiful. Again, did it alone. Had a fabulous lunch at the Archipelego restaurant overlooking the bay. Get some pistachios from the guy with the donkey. Best pistachios ever.

Had booked the Sorrento/Capri/Pompeii tour but was worried it was all too busy, so cancelled and booked for an afternoon to Pompeii. Very enjoyable and we were able to relax in the morning. Very hot. Wouldn't go in August again. Very busy and dusty. But, a wonderful thing to see.

Did the Taste of Rome tour and it was fantastic. A long hot day but you had some time on your own in the morning and then a guided tour in the afternoon. Best of both worlds.

Been to Florence before so did the afternoon Pisa tour. A good tour but they should have included the entrace to the Baptistry and Cathedral in the price of the ticket.

Villefranche, did the early morning Monaco/Monte Carlo. This was also a great tour. Then able to enjoy Villefranche in the afternoon. I was desperate to do the 2 hour tourist train (but the family put their feet down and said NO). Apparently, it was a great little tour.

Make sure you go back on the tender in the evening and have a drink or dinner by the waterfront. Very very pretty.

Barcelona we again did independently. Stayed at the Grand Marina which is a beautiful modern hotel in a good location.

You will love this cruise. As we luckily live close to Europe and can get extremely cheap flights to most of these places, we didn't want to exhaust ourselves and do too much in each port. We also wanted to enjoy the experience of the ship. It can be a very very tiring cruise, or not, depending on how you plan it.

On previous posts I've read people getting private cars and guides in these ports. Probably worth looking at. Might do it that way next time.

Hope I've been of some help. You'll have a memorable time. Guaranteed.

Our cruise was slightly different I think as Athens was omitted due to port congestion (Olymic Games). But, our first informal night was the night we sailed from Venice. Then I think sailing from Katakolon, no, I've forgotten.

The weather was so wonderful, we spent many nights just eating on deck (pizza, sushi, pasta) and didn't bother with the dining room.

Do not miss the sunset from Santorini. Get out on Deck 10, secure your position and be in awe. Enjoy.

Archived