Rafting at Denali - advice?

Cruiser Nonna

We are going to be in Denali for two nights in a couple of weeks - we are driving from Anchorage to Denali and plan to get in about 4PM and then are taking the shuttle into Wonder Lake next day - HOWEVER - kids (ages 17 and 11) want to do river rafting the first night we are there.

Any suggestions from people who have done this - good choices or bad choices?

Thank you as always for the help!

DH and I rafted last summer on the Neana River with a local company. We booked thorugh RCI and used an outfit they recommend. I will try to find the name if i can. Rapids were pretty good going through the canyon - we liked the trainwreck the best. Wear plenty of warm clothes - they provide dry suit but not gloves and hats. Water proof gloves are a necessity as this is glacier water! Enjoy!!!

The rafting is less than 1 mile from the hotels at Denali, you might want to wait and book when you are there, the weather can be hot and sunny one day or cold and rainy the next. This way your not committed.

We did white water rafting with Princess. It was an adventure company, whose name I forget. We had a blast. The dry suits really keep you dry and we were not too cold except our hands. I did wear 2 pairs of warm socks and heavy jeans as well as a fleece jacket under the suit and booties. Be prepared to get wet, as we got many "glacial facials", but it was really wonderful.

• 4 months later...

Since I have never been rafting before, do you think it better for me to go on a trip where a guide does the paddling, or is it better to go on the tour where everyone paddles?

Also, someone mentioned not reserving until you get there in case the weather is bad. I was reading the Denali Outdoor Center website and they recommend getting reservation ahead of time. Any advice here from those who have done these trips?

I just booked a rafting trip for next summer with denali outdoor center. based it on looking at the different rafting websites and recommendations from this site. they have three trips...a 2 hr white water rafting, a 2hr scenic float and a 4hr combined. we went with the 4 hr combined. they do have trips during the day as late as 6:00 or 6:30. we went with the oar rafting cause my daughter is not old enough to paddle. joanna at d.o.c. was very helpful. i paid the whole amount upfront and got a discount. she said if we decide we want to raft on a different day, just have to call and they will work with me. they do provide drysuits.

ellen

We had used Denali Raft Adventures, based in Glitter Gulch, this last summer. They were one of the least expensive outfits around. However, there was no complaints from us as I would certainly use them again. One of the quirks of Denali Raft Adventures is that near the end of the rafting trip, they ask if you want to jump into the water. In our raft about 3 people jumped in, including my daughter. However, I didn't see any of Denali Raft Adventurs' competitors allowing their rafters to jump into the river. But then, maybe it was only our raft who had people adventurous enough to jump into glacial waters! Most people do oar rafting rather than paddle rafting. So, it may be difficult to do paddle rafting unless your group can fill a raft. We had sign up for the rafting trip the night before. So, last minute sign-ups shouldn't be a problem since there are 3 rafting companies offering basically the same product. Just get the address and phone numbers of all 3 companies before you leave.

My husband and I (mid-40s) had a great time, but I echo the advice about the gloves. We didn't have any and wished that we had been advised to take gloves. Our tour operator sent a shuttle bus to our Denali hotel to pick us up, but I think most of the tour operators do that. Note that the Nena River has mainly Class III rapids but the rapids are Class IV in some areas.

Have fun,

Donna

Archived