How Do You Keep Balcony Door Open?

johnken

Hello

I am going on the LIBERTY, CATEGORY 8A (standard balcony).

I am loooking for tips on how to keep the balcony door OPEN through the night, I LOVE to hear the waves crash outside while I sleep.

Any advice on how to prop it open and keep it open?

Thanks

John

I think people use a bungy cord to keep it open. We had ours open and a bird flew in and scared the pants off of us. He was flying all over the room and since we were at sea we were suprised to see it. A word of caution - having the door open can play havoc with the AC.

The last two posts confused me. Does the AC turn off when the door's open? Or does the AC run non-stop when the door's open??

Some people say that on some ships the air will turn off if you keep the balcony door open. For us, that was never the case... our AC ran non stop.

On Conquest, the door stayed open automatically. If you open it wide enough, it catches to stay open. We slept with ours open most night. Never had a problem with the air conditioning. However, on a RCCL ship last year, the AC turned off with the balcony door open. Don't know if it is fleet wide, or just differs from ship to ship.

Most doors will slam back on you so be careful with what ever you do use. Our Pride cruise we had a CC member that her Balcony door slammed on her leg on the first day. Luckly all she got was some pain and some bruises.

We had a liberty 8A balcony room. The air conditioning will not shut off when the door is open. It did shut off on the Spirit when we had the door open. We used the door stop that the steward uses to prop open the door when he is cleaning your room. It will be in front of the closet on the floor. Or, you can bring a door stop from home so that the steward doesn't keep moving it.

Hello

I am loooking for tips on how to keep the balcony door OPEN through the night, I LOVE to hear the waves crash outside while I sleep.

Thanks

John

Several methods work, but quite frankly I don't do it. Yes, I love the sound as much as anyone, but I do NOT like the heat and humidity that comes along with it. ;)

If I would prop the door open to listen to the waves I would be shot or thrown overboard!!!:eek: My DH loves his a/c and thats the end of that. But I have heard of people using bungee cords and using magnets to keep the a/c on. So what works best for you.

Hello

--------------------------------------------------------

Those doors are very heavy. We used one of the chairs provided on the balcony.

You also could try using one of the slices of cake provided on the Lido deck buffet.

BnB

...also remember that if you have the balcony door open, and you open the door to your stateroom, and the ships is moving at 20kts, you will experience a severe, windstorm - be careful!!!

Several methods work, but quite frankly I don't do it. Yes, I love the sound as much as anyone, but I do NOT like the heat and humidity that comes along with it. ;)

Nothing like sleeping in a sauna huh.

If I would prop the door open to listen to the waves I would be shot or thrown overboard!!!:eek: My DH loves his a/c and thats the end of that. But I have heard of people using bungee cords and using magnets to keep the a/c on. So what works best for you.

On the Destiny if the door is open all the way it will stay open automatically and the AC does not shut off when it is open. If we just wanted our door cracked we used a chair arm or a shoe.

I’ve always used a bungee cord.

But everyone has me questioning the AC thing. I’ve only sailed Carnival and have never had an issue with AC. I turn it on or off. The ships I’ve been on either had a sliding control on the vent itself or a control mounted on the wall.

I’m I missing something about the AC questions:confused:

Kevin

Passengers are requested not to leave the balcony doors open because it's inefficient to do that and have the AC on at the same time. Would you do that at home?

Carnival - 1995, 1998, 2006, 2006, 2007, 2007

Holland America - 2004, 2006

NCL - 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003

Royal Caribbean - 2002

I don't know if this has been covered but be very careful not to open the cabin door to the hall while the balcony door is open!!:eek:

Anything not tacked down will be blown all over the room and could even go out the balcony door into the ocean!:eek:

I didn't actually lose anything but what a mess it made!!!! lol

Ugh...please do not do this. If you are going to leave the balcony door open, turn OFF your AC. Otherwise, you are just wasting a *LOT* of energy. A handful of passengers doing this wastes a lot of diesel fuel. First, it more rapidly depletes our limited amount sof fossil fuels and on a more personal level, the burning of all that fuel at the ever increasing price of the fuel means our cruise prices are going up because selfish passengers are wasting fuel.

There will either be a switch on the vent in the ceiling or a switch on the wall. Turn your AC off when you open the balcony door and don't try to air condition the entire Caribbean.

Archived