Boston and Spectacle Island Question???

TomAndJane

We will be in Boston on September 14th. I saw an article about Spectacle Island in our local travel section. It appears that when we are there the Ferry shuttle leaves on the hour and stops running at 4:00 p.m. Is this correct? Is Spectacle Island worth visiting? We do not arrive until 12:30 p.m. so will there be enough time to get to the Ferry Shuttle? Do you pick it up close to where the Cruise Ships come in? As you an see I have lots of questions. Sounds like a great place to visit for a while and get some great views of Boston. Thanks for all your help!!!!

We will be in Boston on September 14th. I saw an article about Spectacle Island in our local travel section. It appears that when we are there the Ferry shuttle leaves on the hour and stops running at 4:00 p.m. Is this correct? Is Spectacle Island worth visiting? We do not arrive until 12:30 p.m. so will there be enough time to get to the Ferry Shuttle? Do you pick it up close to where the Cruise Ships come in? As you an see I have lots of questions. Sounds like a great place to visit for a while and get some great views of Boston. Thanks for all your help!!!!

I'ved lived in MA all my life and never went. Spectacle used to be the city dump/landfill years ago. The city used a lot of the dirt and rocks from the Big Dig excavation to remake the island into a usable place. I know people who say the beaches and trails are nice as well as the visitors center and it doesn't stink any more, lol. It's only been open for a year or so. IMHO it'd be one of the last places I'd chose on a visit to Boston. There are a lot of other places on the coast to see that are nicer. Maybe I am just squeamish because it used to be such a toxic place that contributed to making the harbor dirty back in the day. HTH

I have to agree with RedSoxFan11, and I have been to Spectacle Island. There is so much more to do in Boston, and the Harbor Islands are really not that impressive. It's a shame that the DRC hasn't put more money into improving them.

If you are looking for a great view of Boston from the water there are many harbor cruises that can provide that - and will be a lot more enjoyable. You could even combine it with a whale watch if your port time allows.

Enjoy our city.

Archived