Best Time for Dolphin Swim?

CrystalBlue

First time going to Cozumel next month on the Mariner. Will be there from 10-7 pm, I haven't figure out the time difference yet, but need to know what time I should book the dophin royal swim? The choices are 10:00, 12:00, 14:00 and 15:30. Can anyone tell me how long does it take to get to the park and how much time is need for the dolphin swim. I am also interested in spending time at the park as well.

Also what is the time difference are we head or behind them?

How much is a cab from the pier to Chakunnab and are cabs easy to get from the park back to the pier?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

I am wondering the same thing. We are cruising on the Carnival Glory on November 3rd. From what I see on the Chankanaab Park website, it doesn't look like the port is very far away. I've read that the Dolphin Discovery is an hour long.

We are also looking to possibly go to Paradise Beach either before or after our swim with the dolphins. We are booked for the 1:00 swim.

From what I've read on this board, this is an awesome excursion. We are really looking forward to it! :)

MSMOM2 - Just curious, why are you spending time at Paradise Beach instead of Chankanaab Park? Don't they both offer the same activities?

Thanks for the information about the time length of the dolphin swim.

We were on the Mariner the first week of July and did the Royal Swim. We booked it for 12noon (which is 1pm ship time) and this worked out very well. Didn't feel like we needed to rush off the ship and also gave us plenty of time to hang out at Chankanaab and do some shopping by the pier. The swim was about 1hr. Getting taxis to and from was very easy. There are a bunch of taxi waiting for customers at the pier and a bunch of taxis waiting for customers at Chankanaab. We didn't have to wait at all for a taxi. The price was $15 each way (we had 5 people) and took about 10 minutes each way. The Royal Swim was a great experience and the facilities at Chankanaab are beautiful. Have a great time.

CrystalBlue,

We plan to spend time at Paradise Beach because I've read that, although Chankanaab Park is beautiful, it does not have as much to offer for the kids as far as the water trampoline, the rock climbing in the water, etc. I have heard such wonderful things about Paradise Beach. We have decided after our dolphin swim to head over to PB and spend time there. We are not planning on rushing back to the ship for dinner. We might just go to the buffet that evening so we can really enjoy Cozumel.

CrystalBlue,

although Chankanaab Park is beautiful, it does not have as much to offer for the kids as far as the water trampoline, the rock climbing in the water, etc.

Oh that makes sense. I didn't know that Paradise Beach had those activities for the kids. Seems like you are going to have a good time. I need to look into Paradise Beach as well.

Thanks for the information, MSMOM2:)

We were on the Mariner the first week of July and did the Royal Swim. We booked it for 12noon (which is 1pm ship time) and this worked out very well. Didn't feel like we needed to rush off the ship and also gave us plenty of time to hang out at Chankanaab and do some shopping by the pier. The swim was about 1hr. Getting taxis to and from was very easy. There are a bunch of taxi waiting for customers at the pier and a bunch of taxis waiting for customers at Chankanaab. We didn't have to wait at all for a taxi. The price was $15 each way (we had 5 people) and took about 10 minutes each way. The Royal Swim was a great experience and the facilities at Chankanaab are beautiful. Have a great time.

I agree completely. We were just there last Friday on the Mariner and did the Royal Swim at 1PM. The Royal Swim is a terrific experience. The dolphins seem to enjoy it as much as the people. By the way, dolphins in the wild live to 25-30 years, whereas dolphins in captivity live 40 or more years due to better care.

I would suggest going with the 12PM swim. The actual introduction and swim part takes about an hour. However, afterwards you review the video they make, which takes an extra 45 minutes or so. When we were finished, it was about 3:30PM. If you do the 2PM (1400) swim, you would be finished about 4:30PM. Since you will need to be back aboard by 6:30 SHIP'S TIME, which is 5:30 Cozumel time, that may be cutting it a bit close. Remember, the swim times are Cozumel time, Ship's time minus one hour.

I would also suggest you try the snorkelling while you're there. It was pretty good.

Art

I agree completely. We were just there last Friday on the Mariner and did the Royal Swim at 1PM. The Royal Swim is a terrific experience. The dolphins seem to enjoy it as much as the people. By the way, dolphins in the wild live to 25-30 years, whereas dolphins in captivity live 40 or more years due to better care.

I would suggest going with the 12PM swim. The actual introduction and swim part takes about an hour. However, afterwards you review the video they make, which takes an extra 45 minutes or so. When we were finished, it was about 3:30PM. If you do the 2PM (1400) swim, you would be finished about 4:30PM. Since you will need to be back aboard by 6:30 SHIP'S TIME, which is 5:30 Cozumel time, that may be cutting it a bit close. Remember, the swim times are Cozumel time, Ship's time minus one hour.

I would also suggest you try the snorkelling while you're there. It was pretty good.

Art

We are sailing on RCL to Cozumel in Aug and are looking at the Dolphin Royal Swim - does the ship not change the clocks to local time? The cruises we have been on before- ( other lines) the ship has always changed to local time .

We are looking at the noon tour - we are scheduled to arrive in Cozumel at 10:00 am - is that ship time or local time ?

Moya

Last week on the Mariner we were told to stay on ships time which was EST. We took the Dolphin swim excursion through the ship and it was also on EST.

If I was to do it again, I'd do it on my own and not though the ship. Nothing bad to say about it except that they put all 75 (an estimate) in our group in individual cabs to get to the park so there was quite a bit of standing around waiting for the whole group to catch up. I wonder why they wouldn't put all of us in a bus.

Well worth it and I'd do it again just not through the ship.

Ok, so if I book the dolphin swim through the park for 10:00 a.m., this is actually 11:00 a.m. ship time, correct? However, would this be affected by the time change? I am sailing the week of 11/4 and am not quite sure when in November the time changes.

Second question: Someone posted a review (can't find it, of course) that they tendered in to Cozumel. Conquest is our ship which follows Central Time - I think. Then someone on my board said they thought they were tendering in every other week. Does anyone know anything about this? And if any one of you tendered in, what day did you do this?

Thanks for any input!

Ok, so if I book the dolphin swim through the park for 10:00 a.m., this is actually 11:00 a.m. ship time, correct? However, would this be affected by the time change? I am sailing the week of 11/4 and am not quite sure when in November the time changes.

That depends on if your ship changes time. We haven't figured out what the criteria is. On the Jewel of the Seas eastern Caribbean, last February, the ship changed time. On the Mariner of the Seas, western Caribbean, this month, the ship did not change time. I think the last two times in Cozumel, once on Carnival Glory and once on the Star Princess, we did not change times. In any event, Cozumel is on Central Time and does observe daylight savings. The dolphin swim booked through the ship is not the Royal Swim, that is booked directly (less expensive than the ship's excursion, and a better experience!). Also, if booked through the ship, I would expect the time to be ship's time. If booked directly, it is Cozumel time.

Whichever you do, you'll enjoy it!

Art

Our ship sailed from Charleston, SC, and we stayed on "ship's time" (EDT), even though Cozumel is an hour behind the East Coast. Hopefully your ship will clarify what they're doing. Of course, this was 4 weeks after Hurricane Wilma, so there wasn't far to go.

IMO, never would be the best choice.

Captive marine mammal exploitation atrocity Grrrr :mad:

You're right. They're better in a can of tuna fish. :rolleyes:

OK... we JUST got back (this morning) and am happy to report that the royal swim (booked via dolphindiscovery .com was a complete success). My 12-year-old son and my sister both participated in the 12:00 session.

I will post my photos when we return home (still visiting relative in Louisiana).

Chankanaab was GORGEOUS. We got there early (around 9:30) and parked beach chairs in some shade. The kids snorkled and I took a TON of photos of them, the beautiful beach area AND the iguanas running all over the gorgeous park area behind the beach.

Cab ride was $20 for 6 of us. My son's admission was included. The rest of us paid $16 USD. Kind of pricey, but I can NOT adequately describe how awesome the atmosphere was. Tons of fish and underwater status to snorkel around. We left around 2pm. I was unable to resist 3 of their gorgeous photos ($34 USD total cost). We skipped the dvd - my husband took video.

Any questions - I'd be happy to answer them. This board was SO much help while I was anticipating our trip. You can email me (remove the spaces) @ ddelapasse @ iname .com

Deanna

...forgot to mention the timing. We grabbed the cab RIGHT outside the docking area (Punta Langusta?). It took maybe a half hour to get to the park and maybe a 5 minutes wait to get the admission tickets purchased. The Fantasy & Cozumel are both CST so we could have easily made the 10am swim (our ship was cleared by customs by 7:15am) In fact we tried to move his up to 10am when we got there, but it was full.

Deanna

Deanna, I cant wait to see your pics!!!!! We are doing this in December and I am soooo excited... cannot wait!!! will you post the pics the park took as well as the ones you took yourself? Thanks for your review... I hope it is as wonderful as I think it will be :D

Have discovered there is a discount off the 3.30 Dolphin Encounter and Royal Swim...

We have 2 kids ~ one wants to do one and one the other...

The Dolphin Encounter is only available at 3.30 on the day we go...

Do we:

1. Go twice

2. Book the 3.30 for both and hope for the best

3. Just do the Royal swim with one adult and one child at 10 and have my son do a different excursion somewhere else?

What would you recommend :confused:

We are on the Conquest out of Galveston, so I know the time is CDT, same as Cozemel. I booked the Royal Swim directly, the only time they had was 3:30. I know I am going to be tight on time. Our ship leaves at 6:00. If the swim ends at 4:30 Will we make it back to the ship before 6:00? What is the latest you can get back to the port and board? I am planning on grabbing the kids and leave as soon as they get out of the water. Not waiting for pictures or video. Do they let you take your own pictures?

We are on the Conquest out of Galveston, so I know the time is CDT, same as Cozemel. I booked the Royal Swim directly, the only time they had was 3:30. I know I am going to be tight on time. Our ship leaves at 6:00. If the swim ends at 4:30 Will we make it back to the ship before 6:00? What is the latest you can get back to the port and board? I am planning on grabbing the kids and leave as soon as they get out of the water. Not waiting for pictures or video. Do they let you take your own pictures?

Those are my thoughts too... Will it be just too close...? We are out at 7pm but that will be 6pm local time :rolleyes:

Archived