Whale watching in Juneau

ltturner

My husband and I would really like to go whale watching in Juneau. I checked this board and found many, many recommendations for Harv and Marv's, so I wrote to them. Unfortunately, they're booked for September 4, the day we'll be there.

So I went in search of another comparable tour. Captain Larry's tours seem to be fairly large, and I really like the idea of being on a small boat with a small number of people. I found Alaska Whale Watching and wrote to them to ask about availability. I got a response from someone at Alaska Galore, which appears to be a middleman. The phone numbers on their pages don't match, though. So I Googled the number for Alaska Whale Watching and found this. :eek: Looks like that number goes directly to Alaska Galore. Are they one and the same? I searched for Alaska Galore on these boards and found a post that says they're a middleman of some kind. I'd really like to book with the folks who run the boat.

Here's the bottom line: I would like to go on a small boat with a small number of people, pay a reasonable price, and see some whales. Oh, how I wish Harv and Marv were available! I asked them for a recommendation, and they sent me to a site that listed all the whale watching tours in Juneau. I was really hoping to find a recommendation for a specific company from someone who knows what they're talking about. At this point I'm considering forgetting the whale watching and just booking some bus tour in Juneau. I'm so frustrated! I'm trying to do my homework, and I keep hitting brick walls. Maybe Harv and Marv are truly unique. It sure looks that way.

Can anyone give me a recommendation from firsthand experience? I'd be so grateful!

Amy

Looks to me like NancyIL is reading the AK board the same time I am. I was just going to recommend the company she mentioned. They have been mentioned quite a bit here on the AK boards too.

John

You might also check out Capt Chris Conder of Rum Runner Charters http://www.rumrunnercharters.net/ . Our group of 6 chartered the boat to do a four hour whale watch and wildlife photo safari for $100 per person. The boat is plenty big and has a great fly bridge for viewing. Our group was very pleased with the service and Chris is a very good captain. I sure wouldn't miss out on this adventure no matter who I booked (IMHO).

Bless you, NancyIL and fti! I'll check with them next. I had heard of them but wasn't able to find much info. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Amy

if you do a search on this board and you will find the company Nancy and fti recommended got unanimous approval from all past passengers.

if you do a search on this board and you will find the company Nancy and fti recommended got unanimous approval from all past passengers.

You're absolutely right! I must have spelled it wrong when I searched before.

And thanks, diverearl, for the Rum Runners recommendation, too! I'm grateful to have more than one option!

Amy

We were on a 6-passenger boat with Alaskan Marine Adventures and had a great time: http://www.alaskanmarineadventures.com Be sure to look at the "2007 Specials."

We just had a tour with Case from Alaskan Marine Adventures on 7/10 and had a great time. Saw TONS ;) (no pun intended) of whales, some seals, Sitka Deer, eagles, and salmon jumping. The boat holds a max of 6 and there were just the 4 of us. Another 4 from our group went in the am, and we went in the pm. They were great at gauging where the whales would be and when and where they would pop up again. Great time! We would all highly recommend them.

Hi, guys!

Just wanted to catch you up on the progress of my search for the perfect Juneau whale watching tour.

I contacted Alaskan Marine Adventures and got the most fabulous response from Case there. Unfortunately, the response was that he's booked on September 4. He told me that in a very nice way, though, and he forwarded my request to "the co-op"...which turned out to be Alaska Galore. Hmm! I've been leery of Alaska Galore because I got the impression they were a consolidator or middleman of some kind, and I was unsure of the companies they represent. I like to know what I'm booking.

So I wrote back to Case and asked him a little more about Alaska Galore. He said that they do handle the booking for the co-op, which includes several of the highly recommended charter companies I've read about here. That put my mind at ease. I called Alaska Galore and booked a whale watching tour. They weren't able to find me space on the popular companies from these boards -- note to self: two months ahead is not enough time! -- but they booked me with Wolverine Charters. When I Googled them I found a recommendation from Case at Alaskan Marine Adventures. Good enough for me! The tour holds six people, which also makes me happy.

Thanks to everyone here for your help! Now I just wish I could change the thread icon from the purple frowny face to a nice smiley face!

Amy

Archived