Snorkeling with a 6 year old

jsoloff

We are cruising (8/19 Rhapsody of the Seas) with our 6 year old daughter. My wife and I both love snorkeling, and this is our 1st chance to hit Cozumel (been lots of other places, but we've heard Coz is the best). We really want to do some snorkeling on Coz, but can't tell from RCCL's site which excursions would be good/bad for a 6 year old who can swim and is learning to snorkel in the pool.

Ideally we would find a beach where I could swim out to the rocks with her so that she is both comfortable with snorkeling, and I could show her some of the great sights. (gotta know to peek between the rocks to find the really cool critters!)

Any advice? Spots that have worked well for you?

Thanks!

Just a heads up, because believe me I have been there. RCCL has minimum age restrictions on their tours. So I decided to take a look at their cozumel snorkeling tours, out of 25, only 4 excursion choices will allow a child your daughter's age to snorkle. The others ask for min. ages ranging from 8-12

So narrow down you search to ones that she will be allowed to do. Then post the choices on the Cozumel port of call board or back HERE and ask if parents have done these excursions with their children. :)

Haven't signed up yet... but heading over to do it.

Do come to the thread and introduce yourself to everyone!

I think there is another couple with two boys around the same age as your daughter.

We are also having a pre-muster party in Bonnie's room (2zHaus) and would love it if you could stop by and say hello!

Check out Chankanaab National Park. We took our boys there to snorkle a few years ago and it was a great time. You can snorkle by yourself or sign up for a "tour" when you are at the park. :p

My son is almost 8 but since we live on the beach he's been snorkeling in the open ocean since he was a baby. Your 6 year old will have no problem. Also all the tours require that everyone use a life jacket.

Of the three tours that you listed, keep in mind that Xel-ha is on the main land and will require you to ferry and then bus to the park which may make for a long day for kids. I don't know anything about the jeep tour but I'm thinking that the catmaran tour would be very fun for your family.

I would also agree that Chankanaab is a good place for snorkeling but I haven't been since the hurricane so I don't know what the conditions are currently.

Archived