Elation 7/9 Trip Report (long)

jazzykc

This was our first cruise ever! Five nights on the Elation, leaving from San Diego with stops at Cabo and Ensenada. I booked a balcony suite for DH and myself and an interior room for DS (14) and DD (21.) I get pretty stressed about trying new things so I was very nervous for a couple weeks before this trip! I've always wondered what a cruise would be like. Figured a five-day was a good length for the first time.

I very much appreciated all the tips I read on this board before the trip. I hope my report may help some other first-timers.

Day 1 - We arrived at the cruise terminal at 12:30 and parked right across the street. I'll never forget the feeling I had when we first saw the ship; tears came to my eyes! It looked soooo big! There were lots of people directing us where to go. The terminal had roped lines that would hold 1,000 people but there were only about 10 in any line which moved very quickly. We did get sent to one extra line where they checked our two wine bottles. I saw some bottles of liquor on the counter which had been confiscated. It only took a minute and then we continued. We were on the ship in no time. Surprised we had late seating for dinner since I requested early.

The morning of the trip I had spent printing out all the deck plans from the web site which I stapled together in order. I called it my "cheat sheet." We used that to find our rooms. There was a ton of room, plenty of space to unpack everything. Our first stop was to the maitre d' to check on our table. I was hoping for a table for four. The dining room was closed and they told us the maitre d' would not be there until 5:45, the time of the first seating. But the hostess looked at our SS card and said, "Oh, table 255, that's a booth for four." So I was happy. Next stop was Camp Carnival. It was a nice area with lots of toys for the little ones. One side of the room was for the 12-14's, but DS was definitely doing a lot of eye-rolling at the prospect of spending any time at the edge of a daycare area. The important teen orientation meeting was at the same time as our dinner seating so they told us to just come to the earlier meeting for the younger kids. Again, more eye-rolling. We did sign him up so that he would have the option to participate later.

Finally, time to eat! The buffet area was a madhouse; it was like no one had ever seen food before! I looked at all the entrees but what appealed to me was a freshly grilled hamburger. We found a place to sit, and I swear, it was the best burger I ever had. Cocktail servers cirled the area wanting to hand you a drink-of-the-day. I said no at first, but then after realizing I was still uptight about cruising, I said yes to the next server I saw. Rum punch and quite tasty it was. We then roamed the ship and learned our way around.

We noticed that my room key didn't work, but I knew to take it to the Purser's Office and where that was from my cheat sheet. When we got there, the sign read, "Information Desk" so I asked where the Purser's Office was. D'oh. It's the same thing, so first-timers, now you know. They fixed my key, and we asked about switching our room keys to match the correct occupants. (We had to book parent/child in each room and then switch.) They fixed our cards up in about 10 seconds, no problem. I noticed little folded cards at the counter with "Elation Deck Plan" on the cover, pay dirt! Go there first and put one of those in your pocket, and you'll never get lost!

We continued our tour. We wanted to check out the gym. They told us we had to take a tour of the spa and then we could see the gym at the end of the tour. The kids split off at that point, and we took the tour. Mistake! Unless you care about spa treatments. We listened to a lengthy and detailed description of each treatment in several different rooms, each attendant giving us the "Are you having a good time!?!" routine and asking us to cheer. Finally, that part was over, and then they told us it was time for the safety drill! Some of us snuck a quick peek at the gym. After the safety drill, I was disappointed that we had already left port. I had wanted to watch that.

Dinner was not overly casual. Everyone seemed to receive their luggage quite promptly and changed for dinner. So I broke into my dinner outfits on the first night. Next time I would pack five dinner outfits instead of four. Dinner was very enjoyable. The starters were really good and sometimes I ordered two. DS had the shrimp cocktail every night and loved it. Had the melting chocolate cake the first night. Couldn't quite finish it but it was delicious. Found out they would have lobster for the formal night, couldn't wait for that!

Day 2 - We woke up at 7:30 and decided to try the gym. I did the 8:00 Step class, no signup needed for that one. It was fun. DH used the cardio machines which had a great view. The breakfast buffet was not a highlight. There were long lines and the food didn't look that appetizing, but I must admit, it tasted good. We went to check on the kids at noon. They were sound asleep! The interior rooms are pitch black, and it seemed to them that it was about 3 am. They were very disoriented. After that, they set a wake-up call or ordered room service for breakfast to wake them up.

Time for the pool! Hard to find chairs by then but we managed to get two. This day turned out to be my favorite of the cruise. I really enjoyed hanging out by the pool. Nice sound system with great music and some of the time there was a live band playing Carribean music. Had some more rum punches. (I just asked for Monday's drink of the day again.) When it got hot, went down the slide into the chilly pool. Visited the Jacuzzi. The adult-only Jacuzzi rule was strictly enforced by a security guard. Around 2, had another tasty burger by the pool, no lines then. At 5, people were leaving to get ready for dinner, and I was glad then that we had late seating.

Got ready for formal night and had our pictures taken. That takes a little while because some groups like to take every conceivable combination of people in their party. It also overlapped the Captain's party, so I'm not sure how you could do both. We got to the party at the end, but saw the introduction of the officers.

Dinner was wonderful. DS ordered the lobster AND the prime rib. Waiter asked afterward if we wanted some more lobster, but we were fine. DS started skipping dessert to go meet his new friends. Every night from 9 - 10 the Jekyll & Hyde club was open just for the 12-14's. Of course, he'd run to the room to change into shorts / t-shirt first. We and DD went to the show called Rhythm which was good.

Day 3 - Cabo - A good day for room service breakfast since our tour was meeting at 8 am. We all went on the Chileno Bay catamaran snorkeling trip. Didn't take long to get on a tender to shore. The tour guides were very nice and friendly. We stopped to take pictures at Lover's Beach and the stone arch. We snorkeled about an hour and laid on the beach for a little bit. The boat ride back was great. They were serving up some tasty margaritas and Coronas. Cookies for a snack. No longer cared about getting too much sun and just laid on the deck and the guides took pictures for everyone and brought around more drinks. Got back at 12:30 and asked for a lunch recommendation which was Soloman's Landing, a short walk away. That was good. A lot of people do come up and try to sell you jewelry though.

Glad to have time to nap before dinner. I would always request the late seating on a future cruise. This night, I noticed how the waiters learn your preferences. As soon as I sat down, they brought iced tea. Right after dinner, they'd ask DS if he wanted hot chocolate. Things like that. Dinner was a real highpoint of each day. It was fun seeing what was on the menu and trying some new dishes. We went to the comedy show which wasn't bad. DD played some blackjack.

Day 4 - I was really looking forward to another sea day hanging at the pool. But this day was very windy. No one was even sitting on the upper deck. It was sunny, but quite chilly. We sat with towels wrapped around us. Too cold to use the slide or even order any drinks! I was bummed.

The show that night was called Spin. I thought it was great, and I was impressed with the singers and dancers and all the costume changes.

Day 5 - Ensenada - Sat by the pool in the morning which was basically deserted. It was warm out and it helped make up for the windy day. Had the Jacuzzi to myself. Didn't leave the ship until 12:30 for our kayaking tour. That starts with a long bus ride, and then you kayak to Bufadora. We were mostly in a kelp bed so it wasn't really paddling, more like pushing yourself along in the kelp. The kids did great and we were proud they were better behaved than most adults who were throwing seaweed and bumping into everyone's kayak, like they were in a race. The tide was a little low to see much water spray at the blow hole. There was not time to stop for a snack as promised, they said they had to get us back by 4. We only had breakfast, so we were pretty hungry. The trip seemed rushed, and I don't know why they don't just start a little earlier. The family said they enjoyed it, but I didn't think it was good. We made it back to the ship at 4:25. DD wanted to shop a little at the stand by the ship! We said no! Supposed to be back on board by 4:30.

The show that night was Carnival Legends where passengers perform. That was fun. We also did the Bingo game right before.

Day 6 - Debarkation - I'm not sure what Self Assist is about, supposedly we would leave before the people with checked luggage. We waited in our room as instructed. But at 8:15, they called the first group of luggage tags which included us. We found the kids and ended up in a huge crush of people waiting to go down the stairs manned by one poor employee (a dancer) who had to tell everyone to wait. We should have just waited in our nice balcony room with a view of the gangway until things died down. But since we were in the first group, I thought it would be okay. Waiting wasn't that bad. What was bad was all the people around who started complaining loudly about how unfair everything was and how we weren't moving. Once we started moving, it was smooth after that. I noticed lots of colors of luggage tags in the crowd so people didn't really follow the instructions. I would definitely agree with the tips that say you should wait in your room or on deck until they are almost finished!

Other thoughts & tips

Bring a travel clock or wear a watch! I read that tip but didn't follow it. My bad. I thought I would just use my cell phone to check the time and as an alarm. But the battery died quickly after it went into roaming mode. Also, the crew instructed us not to use cell phone time. They usually adjust to local time which was different from ship's time in Cabo. In the room I would have to turn on the TV and change channels to see the time display.

DS didn't do many planned Camp Carnival activities besides the nightly disco hour. He also did the Wii play hour that started at 11:30 pm. Club O2 was not strict on age like I thought, and he visited there often. They let in all teens and just kicked out anyone who didn't act appropriately.

I wouldn't bother bringing wine again. We only used a couple glasses. We weren't in the room that much and most drinks we had were at the pool or at the shows.

What did you think of the condition of the ship?

Of course, I have nothing to compare it to, but the ship looked great to me. The only wear I noticed at all was the carpeting in the stairwells. When we first got to our room, there were some painters working just above our balcony. We saw other painters doing touch-ups the whole trip. The atrium was shiny and sparkling. There were people polishing the glass and the wood paneled walls every day. And every morning, we saw people cleaning the handrails on deck, polishing all the lighting fixtures, etc. I was amazed at the number of people working to keep the ship in good shape.

Jazzykc,

First of all, nice review and I pretty much agree with everything you said. My wife and I were on the same cruise as you (our first), and I hope your ears aren't too damaged from my singing, as I was Garth Brooks during the Legends show.

As someone who has never (and probably will never again) sing in front of people, was curious about your thoughts on the show? Of course my wife and travel companions said it was great, but I have seen the video and, ouch! I auditioned during one of the karaoke shows and somehow was selected. I had a great time doing it and hopefully we put on an entertaining show.

My wife and I were on the same cruise as you (our first), and I hope your ears aren't too damaged from my singing, as I was Garth Brooks during the Legends show.

As someone who has never (and probably will never again) sing in front of people, was curious about your thoughts on the show?

Our ears weren't damaged at all! Garth, you were awesome! Thank you so much for spending your vacation time rehearsing for a show to entertain us passengers who just lay by the pool all day!

I admit, when we first heard about Legends, it sounded hokey. They were just going to bring some passengers on stage to sing!?! But later, we saw that the theater was closed for rehearsals, and we knew the ship's stage performers and the chosen passengers were working hard to create a show for us. We looked forward to it.

Dancers, lighting, costumes! The show was so fun. The Aretha Franklin was fantastic, didn't you think?! She must perform in public. Surprised that you had not done so before. You sounded great.

kc

Our ears weren't damaged at all! Garth, you were awesome! Thank you so much for spending your vacation time rehearsing for a show to entertain us passengers who just lay by the pool all day!

I admit, when we first heard about Legends, it sounded hokey. They were just going to bring some passengers on stage to sing!?! But later, we saw that the theater was closed for rehearsals, and we knew the ship's stage performers and the chosen passengers were working hard to create a show for us. We looked forward to it.

Dancers, lighting, costumes! The show was so fun. The Aretha Franklin was fantastic, didn't you think?! She must perform in public. Surprised that you had not done so before. You sounded great.

kc

WOW, glad to hear we weren't that bad. I was there too. I performed as Sir Elton John, (HEY GARTH!). This was our first cruise and I am glad I got to perform. My family got a good laugh and I have a memory that will last forever. It was a little bit of pressure but in the end it was all fun. We were online last night planning to book our next cruise already. Just like most of you...we are now hooked.

We were on this same cruise, and I want to say, it was one of my favorite. Service was wonderful and the ship was very clean. Stuart ( the cruise director) was great and my kids got a real kick out of him. You are right about Thursday....I was disappointed too. Way too windy. I had to go sit on a chair at the back of the ship right outside of Tiffany's. It was warm there. LOL We are feeling so down right now at our house because our cruise on the Elation is over!!! We keep saying, "what were we doing last week week at this time??" LOL Anyone who has a trip coming up on this ship will not be disappointed. For sure. I am ready to go back!!!

She was awesome. We showed up for rehearsal and she was talking to the organizer about whether or not she could change the key the band played...At that point, I knew I was doomed. She and the Sinatra crooner were both good.

Thanks for the compliments, I too thought it was going to be cooky at first, but then decided it was a once in a lifetime chance, so I said what the heck.

Good memories!

Hey Sir Elton! That didn't take long to run into someone...I figured if I posted here (I also posted a separate thread about performing) that maybe some viewers might comment, but the odds of one the performers posting seemed small.

You get your dvd and watch it yet? My kids love it and keep wanting to watch it over and over, so I am forced to keep listening to myself and cringe every time...though the compliments here help!

Long live the Crocodile Rock!!

Just wondering, but which show (Spin or Rhythm) did you like the best? And did you get a hypnotist on your cruise?

Spin was my favorite show. It seemed more polished and professional than Rhythm.

The Capers advertised a hypnotist at the late-night R-rated comedy show, but we didn't go to that. The comic from the regular comedy show was there but I don't know if there was a hypnotist involved or not.

kc

WOW, glad to hear we weren't that bad. I was there too. I performed as Sir Elton John, (HEY GARTH!). This was our first cruise and I am glad I got to perform.

Elton! You were great. I remember the white boa around your neck that kept getting stuck in your mouth. A couple times you blew out some feathers! It was funny. And you just kept singing, like a pro.

kc

Hey Sir Elton! That didn't take long to run into someone...I figured if I posted here (I also posted a separate thread about performing) that maybe some viewers might comment, but the odds of one the performers posting seemed small.

You get your dvd and watch it yet? My kids love it and keep wanting to watch it over and over, so I am forced to keep listening to myself and cringe every time...though the compliments here help!

Long live the Crocodile Rock!!

My kids love it too. And like you I cringe with every replay! Funny thing is I can't get "Friends in Low Places" out of my mind. Great fun!!

Elton! You were great. I remember the white boa around your neck that kept getting stuck in your mouth. A couple times you blew out some feathers! It was funny. And you just kept singing, like a pro.

kc

HAHA! That was the highlight for my family for sure...me spitting out feathers during my performance! I'm glad you got a kick out of it. I had a blast!

Were you on Upper Deck or Verandah Deck?

Kids were on Upper Deck. We were on Verandah Deck. I had hoped to get the second room across the hall from us, but there were no other rooms available on Verandah. I booked through Carnival, and they were very helpful selecting a second room. It was five decks down, but it was right below us and near the stairs.

kc

Jazzykc,

First of all, nice review and I pretty much agree with everything you said. My wife and I were on the same cruise as you (our first), and I hope your ears aren't too damaged from my singing, as I was Garth Brooks during the Legends show.

As someone who has never (and probably will never again) sing in front of people, was curious about your thoughts on the show? Of course my wife and travel companions said it was great, but I have seen the video and, ouch! I auditioned during one of the karaoke shows and somehow was selected. I had a great time doing it and hopefully we put on an entertaining show.

We were on there as well. I enjoyed singing along in the chorus. Were you able to hear the audience singing along?

Also, we liked Elton John. I applaud everyone who got up there. What was weird was that we ate breakfast in the Imagination Dining Room twice. Both mornings we ate with a singer in the show. We ate with Ricky Martin (who said that he was an actor moving to NY) and we ate with Frank Sinatra (a teacher in CA). On top of that, I sat next to the guy who was married to Gloria Estefan.

Overall, we had a great time on the cruise. Our tablemates were great. The excursions were nice as well. We thought the crew was extremely nice and hard working. I commented to my wife that they were probably hard working because they were mostly non-US citizens. :)

We didn't order room service as much as I thought we would and we definitely didn't go swimming as much as we thought we would. Coming from El Paso, we thought it was really chilly. Also, we did not expect it to be as cold as it was. We also had a balcony suite, but really didn't enjoy it until the last night. We went to bed relatively early, but the light never came on outside. That was disappointing.

This being our first cruise, we enjoyed it greatly. We thought it was definitely worth the cost, and (perhaps a little too late) got into the Red/Blue competition. What was strange was that we had the 5:45 dinner seating and they announced at the last night that the red team won. After that, we sat in on the Bag competition (which blue won) and they still awarded points. Sort of weird, but if anyone who was in the later dinner seatings was told that blue won we'd like to know.

What was strange was that we had the 5:45 dinner seating and they announced at the last night that the red team won. After that, we sat in on the Bag competition (which blue won) and they still awarded points. Sort of weird, but if anyone who was in the later dinner seatings was told that blue won we'd like to know.

At the 8:00 dinner, they announced that the red team had won.

kc

Thanks for the review. I'm glad to read the positive things you have to say about the Elation. We sailed the Elation out of LA in 1999 and will do so again out of San Diego in October. It was cold sailing out of LA in June the 1st day until we passed Cabo. I wonder how cool or cold it will be in October? Will we need jackets?

Archived