Anyone heard/been to Blue Iguana Beach

CruiseQueen13

My mom and family went to Costa Maya just a couple months ago and had the incredibe experience at The Blue Iguana. I've heard nothing but rave reviews from them all since their return (and she's a "cruise professional" so she would know)...we are all headed down in December and have already booked our day there.

Please write to her...she would love to give you details and info on The Blue Iguana. Her name is Louise and her email is petegraffeo@bellsouth.net

She actually said she hopes that not too many people find out about it so we can keep it to ourselves lol. entire family, adults, kids and all say it was the BEST part of the entire cruise!!!

And here are a couple more........... There are chairs by the water and there are also hammocks. There are primitive restroom facilities at the restaurant. This area is further down the beach from the rest of Majajual and it is very peaceful and desserted. We loved it here!

PICT0141.jpg.01b085dcb1819ad3c0af5082eec20ae1.jpg

PICT0136.jpg.9ed8e47f9f089d56895ef902c76cf5ed.jpg

And here are a couple more........... There are chairs by the water and there are also hammocks. There are primitive restroom facilities at the restaurant. This area is further down the beach from the rest of Majajual and it is very peaceful and desserted. We loved it here!

Were there any kayaks or activities there? How were the restaurant, drinks, food? Did you have to make reservations? It looks beautiful!

We were just there last week. We had booked a snorkel trip through Blue Ocean Safari and had to wait awhile for the surf to calm down. They took us to the Blue Iguana to wait. I think the 2 places are affiliated. The Blue Iguana was nice. Several tables and chairs, lounge chairs, and hammocks. One of the excursions off of the boat was there. I saw some kayaks, but don't know if they rent them. Our snorkel trip was fantastic, but we e-mailed them ahead of time and set it up. I am sure you could just ask to go when you got there and they would accommodate snorkeling if they could. There is no electricity on this part of the island. Also, it is quite a trek from Mahualal (sp). It would be about a 1 mile walk into town. However, the taxi are abundant everywhere. The snorkel guide gave our family a ride back into town. This area was not crowded; it was very peaceful. Also, the beach was pretty nice. A lot of the beach front in town was pretty scarce. We live near the beach in Florida, so I found it funny that everyone was oohing and aahing over their "beaches." There might be 3 - 5 feet of sand. We really enjoyed our time in Costa Maya. I think if you want a quiet beach day, this would be great. Make sure you take a taxi and not the bus. The bus stops in town. I doesn't go all the way to the Blue Iguana.

Turs, Costa Maya is NOT an island, and when we were there they definately had electricity!

This was our second visit to Costa Maya so this time we decided to do something a little different and take the speed boat excursion from the ship (usually NEVER take ship tours!) That's how we ended up at the Blue Iguana. I doubt that the Blue Iguana is a mile from the main part of town, but it would be kind of far to walk. There was a fairly decent sized outdoor bar area. We didn't actually eat there. Lunch was included in our tour at a place that was right across from the bar area. It has a different name, but they seemed to have some connection to each other. The lunch was actually just fair -- we had chicken fajitas and I have had much better. It was the serene tropical atmosphere that was so nice. It is also away from all the children begging you to buy stuff and the people standing outside their shops yelling at you to come inside, and the crowds of tourists. It is peaceful and shaded with palm trees, and the water is crystal clear. Don't think it's anything fancy, though. All of the Majajual restaurants are very small places with a handful of tables inside and plastic tables and chairs outside by the water. We saw people nearby who were renting kayaks, but I'm pretty sure they were on a ship's excursion so I don't know if you can rent them independently.

Oops, I know it is not an island. Our beach here is on a barrier island and I just automatically referred to the beach area as such. Also, I meant to say that this area's electricity is run by generators. I found it interesting that some of the larger "resorts" and hotels ran on generator power. The people who work at the restaurants, bars, etc. in this area have to live elsewhere or have their own generator. It makes you realize how early in development this port is. I am sure that in 10 years it will be a completely different destination.

Archived