I thought I had found another formal gown...

Cruzfan34

But the darned thing just would not fit me!!! It was a very classy shimmery champagne colored gown that I tried on at Dillard's. It had kind of a criss-crossed draped neckline and an attached sash just under the breast line that draped down the back of the dress. SO PRETTY!!! First I tried on the size 4 and it fit me everywhere but in the boobs....so I tried the size 6....well, it fit me in the boobs but it was big everywhere else. WTH? I have NEVER had this problem before and I was extremely disappointed in the dress....but it was gorgeous. If I wouldn't have had to wear a strapless bra with it, I guess I could have gotten away with the 4...but there was no built-in bra and I would have had to wear one. There was no room for a bra in there!! LOL.

So, I guess I should keep looking. Our cruise isn't until March. I'm sure there will be lots of formals coming in around the holidays. It's just that last cruise I was running at the last minute looking for clothes and I don't want to do that this time. Ah, well....the search continues. :rolleyes:

You didn't want to just get it in the 6 and have it taken in on the waist and hips? I have to do that.

I'm afraid it would have messed up the line of the gown. I hate having to have something altered. I've never had a dress give me that much trouble before, lol. It just wasn't worth it, even though it would have been the perfect gown. :(

Could you have a tailor sew bra cups into the size 4?

The size 4 was so snug in the boobs, there would have been no room for sewn-in cups. If it had already had cups I could have worn it a little snug..but I knew it needed a bra and it would have been impossible.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyway....thank you for the suggestions. I was just complaining because I really wanted that dress. Usually if a dress fits me in the bust, it fits everywhere. That one was just weird.

I understand completely. I always find the cutest shoes NOT in my size. I wear a 4 1/2 and sometimes a size 4 will fit too. But all the shoes I want are in size 6 or above.

Yesterday I saw a pair on Zappos that I really wanted and not it was not in my size. I get bummed on a regular basis:( .

Keep looking. There is always another dress or outfit that will fit better.

The last dress I bought that was too large, I took to a seamstress, she wanted $15 for the hem and $80 to take in the sides of the dress, it was a short, lined sheath. I'd only spent about $35 on sale for the dress (loved it), but I took it back, figuring that I could find a dress that fit me already for under $130.

You have plenty of time, I'm sure there will be a dress found that you love even more, without the expense or risk of alterations.

But the darned thing just would not fit me!!! It was a very classy shimmery champagne colored gown that I tried on at Dillard's. It had kind of a criss-crossed draped neckline and an attached sash just under the breast line that draped down the back of the dress. SO PRETTY!!! First I tried on the size 4 and it fit me everywhere but in the boobs....so I tried the size 6....well, it fit me in the boobs but it was big everywhere else. WTH? I have NEVER had this problem before and I was extremely disappointed in the dress....but it was gorgeous. If I wouldn't have had to wear a strapless bra with it, I guess I could have gotten away with the 4...but there was no built-in bra and I would have had to wear one. There was no room for a bra in there!! LOL.

So, I guess I should keep looking. Our cruise isn't until March. I'm sure there will be lots of formals coming in around the holidays. It's just that last cruise I was running at the last minute looking for clothes and I don't want to do that this time. Ah, well....the search continues. :rolleyes:

There are probably a lot of folks who wish they could say that the 6 was just too darn big :p No worries! You'll find another dress.

Archived