Duty Free Shop/ Airport

Beachbound2006

We are going to be on AOS out of San Juan in three weeks, would like to get some alcohol at the Duty Free Shop at the Airport prior to departure home....I was wondering if you can get to the Duty Free shop when you arrive at the airport prior to the cruise, I'd just like to get an idea of what the prices are like before we head off to St. Maarteen where I know the prices are great....When we fly home we have a direct flight back to Hartford so I know I don't have to worry about security and the new regulations. Can anybody tell me if the Duty Free shop is accessible to people arriving at the airport. Again I don't want to purchase the n, just want to check the prices.....

THANKS

We are going to be on AOS out of San Juan in three weeks, would like to get some alcohol at the Duty Free Shop at the Airport prior to departure home....I was wondering if you can get to the Duty Free shop when you arrive at the airport prior to the cruise, I'd just like to get an idea of what the prices are like before we head off to St. Maarteen where I know the prices are great....When we fly home we have a direct flight back to Hartford so I know I don't have to worry about security and the new regulations. Can anybody tell me if the Duty Free shop is accessible to people arriving at the airport. Again I don't want to purchase the n, just want to check the prices.....

THANKS

Yes, you can access the duty free shop after you arrive at the gate on the way to get your luggage. There are duty free shops on each wing of the airport. Do not go through the irreversable rotating doors to baggage claim or you will miss it. I believe St. Maarten is slightly cheaper, but it would be great if you can post your findings.

Whenever I have flown out and purchased, they always asked for my boarding pass to check that I was on an outgoing flight. That said, as long as you don't go out of the gate area you can certainly walk around and look at prices.

Yes, St. Maarten is significantly cheaper, but U.S. custom restrictions - technically - limit your alcohol purchases to 2 bottles purchased in the Caribbean Zone (one of which has to be a "local" one while the other can be international). You can then get additional ones in St. Thomas but also with that "local" restriction (hence the large captive market for Cruzan Rum which in the end becomes that one extra souvenir to that one person one forgot to buy something for on the trip).

Last week I bought one JW Blue in St Maarten at $110 and then in St Thomas two JW Black for 42 and a Cruzan Dark Reserve for 7 (I think).

About a month ago on a weekend trip to Ft Lauderdale, I bought 2 JW Blacks for about 25 each at SJU; so there is a price difference but it's not - I think - a significant one. The Absolut was 9.95 if I remember correctly.

The advantage of buying in San Juan on the way home is that you can carry it onto the plane . . . purchases anywhere else need to go in your checked luggage.

Just realize I should add - this applies if you are on a non-stop or going thru an airport that allows you to not go through security when changing planes.

Archived