Transport Airport to Budapest & Prague

cruiseph

I can't help you with Budapest, except to recommend you do a Google search for "Budapest airport shuttle" and see what you get.

We are going to do a river cruise that has us in Prague for two nights, pre-cruise, and here is a link to what looks like a great shuttle service in Prague: http://www.prague-airport-shuttle.com/

Hope this helps! Have a great cruise!

I will be on Amadeus Danube cruise in September and will be booking my own air. How is best way to travel from airport to Budapest hotel and from Prague Hotel to airport on the way home?

cruiseph - We did your itinerary as the Amadeus Christmas Markets cruise last December, arrived in Budapest a day early & had to make our own transfer arrangements. Our hotel, the Budapest Hilton in the Castle District, arranged for a driver & told us the cost via email. Delays thru LHR made us an hour late arriving in BUD but the driver was there waiting for us. He got a nice tip.

WIT

Budapest has recently revamped things and made Zona Taxi it's exclusive "from airport" taxi services. Prices are fixed and available in advance on their website, http://www.zonataxi.eu/index_uk.html

I would suggest forgetting about using a shuttle, and just doing the taxi. You don't need to pre-book, and you know what the cost will be in advance. Finally, you won't need to worry about who is "with you" on a shared shuttle.

We have been to Budapest three times, the first in 1991 and the last at the end of a Danube river cruise a year and a half ago. The set taxi fare of 20 € seems good. On our second trip to Budapest three or four years ago we took a shuttle to and from the airport. It was fine.

Be careful when you take a taxi in Budapest. Too many will cheat you at every opportunity, even with a meter. We were caught one night when we had to go from the Budapest State Opera back to our boat on the Danube. Having had a set fare from the boat to the opera, I knew that the night fare would be only a bit more. The driver turned the meter up to the maximum speed of 6. I had no small bills, so I had to argue with the driver on arrival at the boat. He reduced the fare some, but still not enough. If I had had small bills, I would have given him the appropriate amount and walked away.

If you like opera go to the State Opera in Budapest. The building is beautiful and the productions are very good. To go, you must get on-line to the web as soon as possible. Because the prices are so low, seats sell out rapidly. When we went, I waited too long and we were only able to get third row in a box. However, we could still see the stage and the price was only $2.00 per seat.

You will find the three subway lines easy to navigate, should you decide to use them. The central line is only slightly below ground and goes from the Gerbeaud pastry café (You will want to go there.) to the main museums at Hero Square and beyond. There is also a stop at the opera.

I see one poster stayed at the Hilton. I believe that is across the river on the Buda side. My suggestion would be to stay on the Pest side which is relatively flat and where most of the things you want to see are located. I think there is a Marriott on the river and about three blocks from the Gerbeaud. If you have time, you can take a sightseeing bus to the Buda side.

We were in Prague for four nights, but this was back in 1996. We drove into the city, so I don't know about airport transportation. Once settled in, you can take a streetcar to almost any area you want to get to. the cars are very well marked with numbers and route maps are readily available. We only took the subway once or twice, but my memory is that they are fine.

These are both great cities. If you can, I advise spending at least three nights in each.

Bob :cool:

Just returned from Budapest and Prague. There is an airport mini shuttle in the airport in Budapest. It costs the equivalent of $12 per person. You just go to the desk and tell them the hotel you wish to go to and a van comes in about 5 minutes. In Prague, we had the Hilton call us a van as we were 6 people. It cost 890 Czech crowns for the six of us - the equivalent of $45.

Archived