Anyone having trouble with airfare to Orlando in Nov. 07?

Mbelle97

My fiance and I are traveling to Port Canaveral via Orlando on Nov. 3rd 2007 for our Nov. 4th honeymoon cruise.

We are in NJ and would travel out of Newark, Philadelphia or Atlantic City.

The airfare is Insane! For direct flights (I don't want to switch planes to Florida) I have found no less than $450.00 for coach! I have been checking since we booked the cruise, about 1 year ago and the price hasn't dropped one bit!

Anyone know why this is happening?? or when the prices might drop?!?!

Wait until after Aug. 17 and they will go down. I have had this same problem in the past. Its due to so many travelers in the summer months and families. Schools start in mid August, even colleges, so the price will drop. We were looking at $325 last year and then waited and got them in late August for $99 each way. We were sailing in late Ocober, so we were nervous. lol We are in the mid west, so it might be a bit cheaper but I doubt much. it was a non stop on American Airlines. Have you tried Southwest? if they fly from your area, they are running a special now that just started last week. Another possibilty is to look at a package, IF you are planning a hotel before or after the cruise, sometimes it may be cheaper.. but right now my advice is just wait until mid August , then check at different times of the day...somtimes they pop a cheap one in there but you have to act on it right away! Good luck!

Have you tried Southwest? www.southwest.com Usually, they are not listed with Expedia or Travelocity. U need to go direct to their website and sign up for their email notices. Each Tuesday morning, they usually offer specials. I was in the same boat:) and last week, found $99 each way from LAX to MCO for our mid December cruise. As of today, Philadelphia to MCO was $365 round trip total for 2 people, Nov 3-13. Returning on the 10th was $450 for 2.

Have you tried Southwest? www.southwest.com Usually, they are not listed with Expedia or Travelocity. U need to go direct to their website and sign up for their email notices. Each Tuesday morning, they usually offer specials. I was in the same boat:) and last week, found $99 each way from LAX to MCO for our mid December cruise. As of today, Philadelphia to MCO was $365 round trip total for 2 people, Nov 3-13. Returning on the 10th was $450 for 2.

Also check Air Tran - same sort of periodic discounts as Southwest.

I have to travel MCO - EWR occasionaly on business, and just booked a trip in August for $210 round trip on Continental.

Have you tried a day before your sailaway? They do price based on demand, sometimes a day makes enough differance in price to make it worth your while to stay in a nice hotel.

Also, check Delta to Melbourne - you would have to connect in Cincinnati or Atlanta and prices are sometimes higher than Orlando, but it's worth a look. Maybe whatever is driving the price up is an Orlando event, which would not affect Melbourne. MLB airport is a snap to get in and out of, and less than a half hour to the Port.

We just booked 5 to Orlando (pre-cruise) and 5 to Fort Lauderdale. The prices started out at $450/pp (like you, I was shocked - being in Michigan, we have always gotten down to FL below $300pp). I started looking around at alternative airports and ended up with the Orlando to Miami and Fort Lauderdale to Miami route. Our Orlando group is doing the Disney thing before the cruise and we aren't. We also were flexible on our dates - going in a few days early and leaving the day after. But we ended up getting the airfare through Northwest (our main option here in Detroit) for $250 to Orlando and $270 to Fort Lauderdale - and this is around the Easter break next year. I booked at $315 on Sunday night and by Monday afternoon, the price had dropped to $270, so I called and within 24 hours, their policy allows for a cost adjustment. Being flexible on dates/times and even airports covered the cost of our hotels/rental cars for the stay. Good luck and just keep checking as much as you can - the prices seemed like they changed for certain flights several times a day on nwa.com!:eek:

Prices to Orlando are high. Plus, there's a buzz that airlines will be bumping up the prices, including Southwest. Infact, Southwest is really expensive right now and I often find better deals with the legacy airlines like American. I just flew into Orlando in June for 250 pp. Summer is when you'll find the deals. Typically the winter months, also known as the high season, is when you won't find the deals. My trip to Orlando in November will not be by air. I'm not willing to pay the 400+ pp airfare so my husband and son and I will be driving. The cost of gas and 1 hotel is 1/2 the cost. Plus, we can bring the dog if we drive which means another savings of 400 dollars (her boarding facility is a palace).

I prefer to fly, but sometimes it's better to drive. :rolleyes:

I don't know if you tried - but FLL or PBI are within the 2-2 1/2 hour drive range to Port Canaveral. Wheras, MCO is around an hour drive.

To get better prices or schedules, you might consider it - with a rental car each way.

MaryAnn

Thanks all.

I have tried almost all the airlines. http://www.kayak.com searches and then displays all the results on one page.

We are already arriving the day before the cruise and getting a hotel :) We can't arrive any earlier because of our wedding. Flying into Tampa may end up being an option but I know we are both going to be exhausted by the time we get in!!

Would love to fly direct into Melbourne from here.. used to do that as a kid to visit my aunt & uncle.. but I just can't see spending 4-6 hours in the air (with connections) when it can be less than 3.

Anyway, will keep checking everyday, thank for all your helpful information!

Archived