Restaurants in Key West

ispisthebst

Do you know at which dock your ship will be tethered? I ask because if you are docked at the Outer Mole dock, there will be no restuarants close, but you will ride the Conch Train to a location enar many restaurants.

If you dock near the Westin, you will be close to both Front Street and Duval, both of which have a variety of restaurants, cafes and saloons that offer food at decent prices. You can also try the restauarnts near the Schooner Wharf. One thing Key West has no shortage of is a variety of restaurants.

There are SO MANY!!!

In the "moderate" price range (12-20.00 dinner), I'd mention:

Half Shell Raw Bar

Alonzo's

Kelly's

Duffy's (a bit further but not too far to walk)

Camille's " " " " " " "

Conch Republic Seafood Company (OK/average food - a large, loud, waterfront atmosphere if you're in the mood for that).

Blue Heaven is supposed to be great, but it's always been too long of a wait when we checked it out.

Fogarty's on Duval is good for lunch, you can eat outdoors and people watch. Or Schooner Wharf (for the atmosphere). Even if you don't eat there you should stop for a cocktail. We haven't eaten at BO's yet, but lots of people swear by it. Another place with good eats for lunch is Jack Flat's Bar.

Places we've eaten that we won't again:

Sloppy Joes (OK if a loud, crowded tourist bar is what you want). We haven't been back since our first trip to KW. Even if you go to drink, don't bother with the food.

Margaritaville - nice stop for T-Shirts, etc. It's easy to find better food. Last time we were there the bathrooms were disgusting.

Turtel Kralls - average food (at best) the time we tried it.

Don't forget to follow up the meal with a slice of Key Lime pie from the Blonde Giraffe!!:D Try it with the pastry crust (not graham cracker) and merenque topping instead of whipped cream:)

Go to B.O.'s Fish Wagon. Corner of William and, um, I think Caroline. Looks like a pile of junk from the outside.

Get a grouper sandwich. And fries. And a limeade.

ParrotRob You are sooooo right. And too expensive. OMG soooo delish. Looks like an old shack. But once your inside........

I couldn't think of the little place. When we lived there it was our Saturday lunch ritual to have the grouper sandwich. omg I can't wait until my cruise! :D

Peace,

salt_wife:)

I can't attest to the food at the Lazy Gecko, but I can say that when we go back to Key West this fall it's the first place I am heading! We did a pub crawl here last year and they had a delicious Kahlua frozen mudslide that I can't wait to have again. There was no time to eat, but I like the looks of the menu and intend to try their sourdough bread sandwiches and the pizza too. Most everything is under $10 and if you want to browse the menu it is online:

http://www.thelazygecko.com/food.htm

Maybe someone that's actually eaten here can say whether I am steering you wrong or not, but I just had to mention those mudslides!

Brenda

Blue Heaven is supposed to be great, but it's always been too long of a wait when we checked it out.
We had lunch once at Blue Heaven and it was average at best -- we almost didn't go back. On another visit, we had breakfast there and it was AWESOME.

Schooner Wharf Bar has some pretty good breakfast sandwiches and great bloody marys or mimosas.

http://www.schoonerwharf.com/menu.htm

Rum Barrel on Front Street is fun and has good appetizers and daily food & drink specials.

http://www.piratesoul.com/rumbarrel/specials/

Upper Crust on Duval has very good pizza.

http://www.uppercrustkeywest.com/index1.htm

Willie T's on Duval has good sandwiches, etc. for lunch. They also have good drink specials.

http://www.williets.com/

This is a tough question since everyone has there own opinion of what "good" food is, and is not. I have not been to Key West in 10 years. But will be there on Celebration on August 22nd.

I am a BIG Paula Dean fan and her two son's did a show on food of Key West. I am taking my Paul Dean's boys cookbook (Taste of Road) and getting each of the following places they recommend to sign it. The Dean boys recommend: "The Art of Baking by Henrietta" (coconut cakes and candy), "The Blonde Giraffe" (Key lime Pie on a stick) and for lunch "The Conch Republic Seafood company."

The last time I was there I did hit up Sloppy Joes and Margariettaville. It was OK. But I also heard the BO's fish wagon is a great place to eat. I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

I can't attest to the food at the Lazy Gecko, but I can say that when we go back to Key West this fall it's the first place I am heading! We did a pub crawl here last year and they had a delicious Kahlua frozen mudslide that I can't wait to have again. There was no time to eat, but I like the looks of the menu and intend to try their sourdough bread sandwiches and the pizza too. Most everything is under $10 and if you want to browse the menu it is online:

http://www.thelazygecko.com/food.htm

Maybe someone that's actually eaten here can say whether I am steering you wrong or not, but I just had to mention those mudslides!

Brenda

We had pizza at the Lazy Gecko last spring. It was OK, nothing special. But the band playing was great and the drinks were cold!!:)

Archived