Tendors...newbie cruising earlish 2008

happynewbie

Looking forward to our first cruise in 2008 on Millie in cc aft cabin.

Everyone on this board has been most helpful in answering some of our questions.

So here we go again. Some ports require boats to take passengers into the port...perhaps too many ships or port is small. Can anyone tell us just how long this trip usually takes? Do they "stuff" many people in like sardines? (Have a bit of a claustraphobia problem). My DH is fine but I am the "chicken"...a bit afraid of this. Of course, I'll do anything to have this 11 day cruise work...outside of swimming to shore! icon11.gif Don't like flying either, but I'll try to close my eyes all the way...in the planeicon9.gif

Guess this sounds stupid but I need to ask anyway.

icon7.gif

Thanks Cruisers, you have been great.

The ship will need to use tenders if port space is not available or the ship is too large for the port area. The tenders usually are the orange and white life boats that you see on the side of the ships. There are windows all around. You aren't packed in like on full buses or subways, they will only fill all the allotted seats. Sometimes they hire local tenders that are larger and have double decker capability - just depends on what is needed. Most tenders take no more than 10 minutes. The biggest problem is waiting for the tenders which depending on demand could take 20 min to an hour.

When they use ship lifeboats as tenders, you typically have the option of sitting on the upper, open deck. This makes it a lot more comfortable if you tend to get uptight with crowded conditions. The seats are mostly benches so it can feel a bit crowded if too many people squeeze into one row.

If you have to sit inside on a tender, here are a couple of suggestions.

There are a few individual folding chairs. They are not as close together as the bench seats. If you have to sit on a bench, pick a window seat and have a travel companion sit next to you leaving 1/2 person open space next to you. Your companion has to be a bit thickskinned in case other passengers ask him/her :mad: to move over. It's not very neighborly but it does work to avoid uneasiness.

Les

Millies routes during Spring '08 would only provide for tenders at Labadee Haiti. I've not been there, but generally the actual tendering part is pretty short and often it's not as confining as you'd imagine depending on seating.

Yes - there is a lot of "herding" waiting to board, and under certain circumstances its not a "highlight" experience but (but sometimes it's pleasant and) I think you'll probably find it a LOT less claustrophobic than a host of other daily routines (elevators, etc.)

Good luck.

Looking forward to our first cruise in 2008 on Millie in cc aft cabin.

Everyone on this board has been most helpful in answering some of our questions.

So here we go again. Some ports require boats to take passengers into the port...perhaps too many ships or port is small. Can anyone tell us just how long this trip usually takes? Do they "stuff" many people in like sardines? (Have a bit of a claustraphobia problem). My DH is fine but I am the "chicken"...a bit afraid of this. Of course, I'll do anything to have this 11 day cruise work...outside of swimming to shore! icon11.gif Don't like flying either, but I'll try to close my eyes all the way...in the planeicon9.gif

Guess this sounds stupid but I need to ask anyway.

icon7.gif

Thanks Cruisers, you have been great.

If they are using lifeboat tenders [sometimes they use contract boats from the port], they are generally rated at 150 people for lifeboat use, but they never put in more than 90 when used as a tender, and generally closer to 60. I'm 6'3", and while they may be a little tight they are not bad. Might be pretty tight with 150 people, but if it gets bad enough that its tight or sink or swim, I think I'll be happy to be aboard!

what are your tender ports? At Labadee (when we were on Freedom of the Seas), there were the bigger subcontracted tenders (or maybe RCCL owns them and keeps them there). If you go to Cayman's, they will have the large external tenders.

The ship's tenders are actually bigger than you think. You could maybe let the crew know that you would feel more comfortable sitting closer to the "door" of the tender. This would mean that you get on last, and get off first...spending less time in the crowd.

It's definitely not like a NYC subway, though. They fill them up, but with a reasonable number of people.

Depending on your plans for the port, you could wait until those needing to get ashore for early excursions have gone. We did that in Grand Cayman last March and got the tender about 11:30 AM and had no wait.

On the return, they used one of the contracted tenders and with two decks it didn't seem crowded at all. They are all open so there is lots of fresh air to relieve the claustrophobia.

It's only 10 minutes or so each way. Good luck! :)

Thanks again.

We are going to be on the Millie going to Alaska from SF to Vancouver, May 19th,2008. Aft CC cabin with veranda. 11 days!!! Being on the big ship doesn't faze me but all of you have answered my questions and made me feel more comfortable about the tender boats.

We are hoping to have around 10-11 people which include family and friends.

Your replies are very appreciated. One was funny...if it came to a "tight fit" versus swimming, etc. "tight fit" wins out. Yeah, guess I agree. I'll try to be brave icon10.gif

Again, thanks...I'll try not to bother you too much. Very excited icon7.gif about this trip, even though it is pretty early yet. happynewbie (Maxine)

Archived