SHOULD Jumpers be charged ??

Aplmac

When we had our jumper on here 2 weeks ago (I don't know what story you guys got), he was messing about with lifesaving equipment, then he jumped into the ocean. He was hammered (really drunk) and decided to climb into 1 of the lifeboats and grab an axe then go under the lifeboats and start chopping at the cables, he apparently wanted to take his friends for a ride on a lifeboat. Luckily for him it was the first night of the cruise when we were going from Lauderdale to Freeport so we were going about 5 knots so he was found. The search & rescue operation was done mainly by carnival NOT BY THE COASTGUARD as the reports say. We picked him up and handed him to the coastguard as security would not have him back on board. When we found him after about an hour he said "you took your time".

Now this guy should be charged as he did possibly endanger the lives of the other passengers onboard by messing around with lifeboats. Apparently he got away with it scott free, now that to me is just wrong!:eek:

Folks,

I was aboard the Valor when our jumper went in, the same week that the guy jumped off the FOS. Yes, the 15 yr old was rescued. And if it were up to me, I'd have bounced his Dumb*ss on each bulkhead enroute to the brig, or to the med facility where I'd have put him in restraints for the duration. He deserved a class A butt whooping, and that should have been shown via the ship's TV channel.

As far as someone committing suicide quietly, that rarely happens, in that most people desire the attention associated on those who almost do it. I'd wager that for most, their success was an "ooops" at the last second, that proved intractable, i.e. pulling a trigger which rarely offers a "do over".

For the families of those who do this, I feel their embarrassment, as they are usually victimized by the act of the person doing it, and those who wonder why the family didn't see it coming.

Regardless, fines and lifetime bans are just the beginning.

I, along with you, was on the Valor on June 23 when the man fell overboard. As I mentioned in an earlier reply in a different thread, the man fell into the water just as I had goten onto my balcony on the 8th floor. He surfaced from his fall directly below my balcony. I hope you can imagine the shock I had when I saw a body floating in the water. I will always have that vision of this man in my mind floating in the water, obviously dazed and quite confused. I can still, after 25 days and nights, give you a detailed description of this man afloat. I continue to see him several times during the day and at night while I am trying to sleep.

I say all this to respond to the question as to whether or not the persons who fall overboard should pay for their rescue. I believe they should have to pay. I also believe they should be banned from any cruise because they disrupted what should have been a beautiful vacation and memory but instead, experienced worry for this man and concern for his safe rescue. For those, like me, who spotted a person in the water and got help by notifying the staff on the ship, this worry is even more pronounced. I can't tell you how much I hoped and got on my knees and prayed for this man until he was safely brought onto the ship. I think this man, and all others who go overboard due to drinking too much or just plain "stupidity" should have to pay for another cruise for the one who actually spotted them in the water. Maybe even pay for the emotional distress he has caused given it not only affected him but hundreds of others and more so the one who happened to report him as overboard. I know this may sound selfish, but I too think these people should be held accountable for their actions in more ways than one. Unfortunately, I will have the memory of this man in my mind for the rest of my life. I am truly glad he is okay but I wish I did not have the memory of this man floating in the water when all I expected to see was the beautiful sunset as we sailed the Carribbean.

• 9 months later...

Of course they should pay any rescue costs. How else will people learn to take responsibility for their actions. Look at the subprime mess. Another example of irresponsible behavior that I, a taxpayer, am expected to pay for. I have the freedom to do stupid things if I chose but, I am ready to pay the consequences. (So I try not to do stupid things because I have better things to do with my money). Some people do stupid things and then cry about the consequences. Grow up.

I absolutely think they should be charged. It might make a few people reconsider their reckless, stupid behavior. Quite honestly, alcohol or not, it is completely irresponsible. I can't stand the thought that someone would even try to commit suicide off a vacation cruise, either. I can see why they want to die. Their lives are so pathetic because they obviously don't care about ANYONE else's and probably get treated the same in return. That might sound completely crass and unempathetic, but if I wanted to end my life, I would try to do it in a way that would not disrupt the vacation of thousands of others. Am I being unreasonable here? Why should a handful of people ruin cruising for the masses who respect rules and BASIC fundamental code of conduct. Wow, wasn't planning a rant...I guess that topic just gets me heated!

Sorcamc, I find your post absolutely disgusting. I hardly think someone who is desperate enough that they feel they have no other options then to end their own lives is not thinking about the fact that they are going to ruin "your" vacation. Maybe the person has been in a depression for a long time and their loved one thought that maybe getting away for a while so that the depressed person can relax, and then something like that happens? How absolutely rude of you to think ME ME ME, in case when someone is at their absolute bottom in life. Obviously you have never been affected by someone who has committed suicide, its a terrible ordeal and I can't imagine the mind set of some poor person actually standing at the edge of the deck, climbing over and jumping. Oh, but sorry, maybe they should take your feelings into consideration first.

I don't think they should be fined.

They should be billed for all the rescue costs which are probably more than a

fine...

Did you all hear about the guy who recently jumped from a hotel balcony in Disneyland?

Splat...at Disneyland no less.

I am sorry that people have problems.

I really am.

But some behavior is just too selfish.

Sorcamc, I find your post absolutely disgusting. I hardly think someone who is desperate enough that they feel they have no other options then to end their own lives is not thinking about the fact that they are going to ruin "your" vacation. Maybe the person has been in a depression for a long time and their loved one thought that maybe getting away for a while so that the depressed person can relax, and then something like that happens? How absolutely rude of you to think ME ME ME, in case when someone is at their absolute bottom in life. Obviously you have never been affected by someone who has committed suicide, its a terrible ordeal and I can't imagine the mind set of some poor person actually standing at the edge of the deck, climbing over and jumping. Oh, but sorry, maybe they should take your feelings into consideration first.

I have had several family members commit suicide and in my opinion most of the ones that do that are only thinking about themselves. I understand depression to the fullest. I also understand what it takes to get help. I also understand how it feels when one feels they have reach the absolute bottom in life. I think that if someone is at this point in their life they shouldn't be taking no family vacation like this. They need to be getting professional help!!! :( I am sorry about hijacking the thread but I felt like I had to reply to this.

I agree with most on here. The jumpers do need to be fined!!! For all costs to the cruiseline and the CG!!! I also think that if the family knew how bad the depression was when they went on the cruise then they should be fined for their stupidity of taking that person on there!!!

Since Carnival doesn't have your social security number, it wouldn't show up on your credit report. ;)

Carnival does have your credit card thou. Bill the sucker $25,000 and see if he/she jumps again.

Fred

The Coast Guard does not charge people for rescue. They will send out Jayhawk helicopters that cost thousands of dollars per flight hour, they will send out cutters and motor life boats if necessary, but an integral part of the Coast Guard's mission is to rescue those in distress on the water, regardless of who they are or why they are in that predicament. Hoax distress calls will result in a fine/charge if the individual(s) who made the hoax are located.

If someone is truly suicidal, my heart goes out to them. I've had friends and family members struggle with deep depression and it's horrible. There are also the drunken fools who get liquored up and think it'd be fun to climb from balcony to balcony, or jump down to a lower deck, or what have you. Regardless of why someone willfully jumps off a cruise ship, if they can be rescued they ought to thank their lucky stars.

However, as the proud sister of a Coastie who has and will continue to risk his life to rescue or recover anyone in distress or lost at sea, my first instinct is to send the whole freaking bill if a jumper survives!

If someone jumps, I think a blacklist from cruising again is in order at an absolute minimum.

I can't stand the thought that someone would even try to commit suicide off a vacation cruise, either. I can see why they want to die. Their lives are so pathetic because they obviously don't care about ANYONE else's and probably get treated the same in return. That might sound completely crass and unempathetic, but if I wanted to end my life, I would try to do it in a way that would not disrupt the vacation of thousands of others. Am I being unreasonable here? Why should a handful of people ruin cruising for the masses who respect rules and BASIC fundamental code of conduct. Wow, wasn't planning a rant...I guess that topic just gets me heated!

The last suicide I read about was a young man who had been brutely beaten and raped and his name became national news. How would you deal with this? EMPATHY. Look it up. It's in the dictionary. Learn it. Live it. It's not about you. I cannot begin to feel his pain, but I can only image that being in that unfortunate position, they are not thinking about YOU, just the pain they are in. Geez. Your are an azz.

Suicide is not a whim. It is something that has been thought out. When, where, how? Going over and over in your mind. You don't want to, but it is always there. Then the time comes.... what to do? Sorry it ruined YOUR vacation. Didn't do a whole lot for the family & friends either. But now, their pain is gone, and believe me, there is always pain.

[quote name='DG2004']yes, if they think it would be fun to jump off the ship.....I think it would be fun to leave them at the next port and with a nice large fine.[/quote]

I want to know what kind of warped person would do something like that? I can't imagine jumping, lying in the water and watching the ship just float away into infinity....that scare the crap out of me just thinking about it.

These people just have to be off their rockers. And if you can't handle the drinking enough to be responsible and maintain control of yourself then you shouldn;t be drinking...PERIOD!!!

Archived