Handicapped Sky Suite on Summitt

cruzin princess

Hi All:

We were just assigned a handicapped SS on the Summitt, Kind of surprising because we are not in need of a handicapped cabin.

Can you please tell me what is the difference in the cabin and if there is a difference in storage space.

I am kind of surprised that this has been assigned to us because the cruise is still 4 months out and I thought they saved these cabins for people that needed them.

Any comments will be appreciated.

I’m surprised they’re letting them go this early too. They keep telling me that they only release them closer to the sailing date. But I’ not looking for a Sky Suite, only a 2B or 2C handicapped veranda cabin.

I’ve only seen the handicapped SS on an M class ship once, but since the Sky Suites in general are larger than the normal veranda cabins, there will probably be no space gain in the handicapped SS (not that you were looking for that). However you may loose the tub that I believe is in non-handicapped SS cabins, but gain an enormous shower. There may be some small differences in storage space, but none that I believe you will find noticable. Because the entrance “hall” will be wider you may loose a bit of storage space, but I don’t believe so.

Hope this helps.

We sailed on The Constellation a few years ago which we had a CC booked for. When we checked in they told us we had been upgraded to a handicapped SS. We are not handicapped either. I think the only thing different about the room is the doorways are a little wider, and you have the special bars in the bathroom and shower to hang onto. We had 9123 and we loved the location!

P.S. You may initially have a bit of difficulty storing any luggage under your bed, as that is where they store the portable ramps used by wheelchairs to access the balcony, at least that’s what happened when we used an equivalent 2B cabin a few years back.

Four months out? I thought they had to wait til 30 days out. Cabins accessible to non-walkers are so few that we have to book a year in advance, never see upgrades and sales? Yea, right. Might I suggest you call Celebrity and offer the suite to anyone who calls and really needs it up to the 30 day window? No blame or fault to you but this is classic Celebrity. Like the 2 years they've had an announcement under the Aboard Ship section of their website for mobility problems promising tender lifts. The head pursor on the Constellation told us they had one after their special services couldn't tell us. Then when I asked about which other ships had this upgrade and they said NO ships had it yet including the Constellation. The pursor and the young man in charge of the gang plank and carrying/pushing wheelchair users up and down it knew differently. The gang plank guy said it also had never been used in the 2 years since it was installed.

Besides the wider doorways and a ramp to the balcony if necessary, the toilet is higher, the shower has a built in bench and is large enough to get a wheelchair next to it to slide over to the bench. It also has pull down closet bars so we can reach hangers and a 5 foot radius in the bed area to turn around in plus emergency call buttons in the main cabin besides the pull one in the bathroom.

I'd love to see someone who has saved for years to get an inside cabin be upgraded for a family vacation. Oh well, just my two cents.

Ók quick question - how full is this cruise could it already be sold out??? If it is then it would not be completely off base since the cruiselines are under no obligation to keep those cabins if the cruise is full except those cabins. They can sell their ship - if it is full it is full. Remember they are in business and have stockholders to answer to too. If it is not sold off completely then it is something I would query with the special needs dept. The system is not fail safe yet but if you are willing to call the special needs dept and query it, it might help better the system.

There are still 2 Royal Suites, several concierge rooms, FV guaranty cabins and so on down the line. I totally do no understand why, but we are about to switch to an FV on the AFT with the larger balcony. We get the Sky Suite because my husband is 6'5" and the shower stalls in most cabins are way too small for him. I understand that the handicapped shower is larger, but the point is that they are not holding the cabin 4 months out for someone that needs it.

My TA is working on changing us to a FV guaranty because we feel this is totally wrong of Celebrity.

So much for helping out the handicapped. I think that corporate America is totally greedy.

If we weren't committed to friends of ours for this cruise, we would cancel rather than take a cabin that "THANK GOD" we don't need yet.

Shame on you Celebrity!!!

Archived