RCL pulling out of Neeport RI?

Reports in the New London CT newspapers reports that starting in Sept 2007 that they will be replacing Newport RI on EOS cruises.Is this good/bad/no difference for the cruiser?WE are sailing 10/12...................Frank

I like the idea of going to New London, CT. We have been to Newport on other cruises, and going to New London will be a new experience for us. Either port would be fine, however the fact that we don't have to tender in is much more appealing.:D

Personally, I would prefer Newport to New London. The town is much more picturesque and historical. There is more to do in Newport and getting around by foot and trolley bus is much easier than New London. JMO YMMV :=)

Report in our local paper was that the Explorer was stopping in New London on Sept 1, 15, 29 and Oct 13, and that it is scheduled to call there twice in July 2008. Didn't mention that it was replacing Newport (the focus was more on the fact that a ship was stopping in CT), so I wondered whether it was an extra stop or if it was replacing someplace else. RCCL website is not showing the New London stop yet.

I am on the July 2008 9 night eastern caribbean and bermuda cruise. I am from CT and I am hoping that they do not switch anything on this itinerary. I would not be happy about this one....unless it did boarding in New London.

Have never been to New London but have been to Newport RI. It's a very interesting town with lots of history, wonderful Victorian architecture and plenty of activities. We enjoyed our day in Newport and would enjoy going back in the future.

Have never been to New London but have been to Newport RI. It's a very interesting town with lots of history, wonderful Victorian architecture and plenty of activities. We enjoyed our day in Newport and would enjoy going back in the future.

Well Tony when you do get back to Newport you call me! I'll take you on the real tour, and for a good REAL lobster dinner! I'm only 20 min away. ;)

That certainly needs to be checked into further.

I absolutely LOVE Newport, and for cruisers, IMHO, Newport would be the biggest draw. The ambiance of that quaint town makes it a favorite with many people. There is much to do there. Not that New London wouldn't be interesting, but comparing the two, Newport would win with me hands down.

Will have to wait and see the reason. It could be because of tendering capacity.

I heard this story on the news a couple of nights ago (I live in CT). They said New London was replacing Newport because they couldn't supply sufficient "water taxis" in Newport. Who knows if that is the real story, but I don't blame anyone for being disappointed. New London is desperately trying to sell itself as a cruise ship destination. Maasdam was there earlier in the spring, but thats pretty much it. Its not a terrible stop, but I would like Newport better, given a choice.

Archived