Ketchikan Excursions

martylup

We are docking in Ketchikan on August 9th between 2:00 PM & 8:00 PM:

I was considering these excursions:

Orca Beach Rain Forrest Nature Trail

Rain Forrest Sanctuary

or

Just hanging out/walking about the Port & maybe taking in the Lumberjack Show

Any advice or expereinces with these activities would be appreciated.

Thanks

I am taking the public bus to Totem Bight then hanging around town - probably go toward the cannery and sit there for a while watching and photographing the eagles. That was great last year when I was there.

There is also a self-guided walking tour (ask at the visitor center) that takes maybe 2 hours with stops that sounds interesting.

John

We were in Ketchikan two weeks ago and did the Misty Fjords by seaplane. It was fairly expensive but I thought it was worth the cost. If you go by boat (Wilderness Explorer) it's less expensive but your views aren't the same.

We're also taking the city bus to Totem Bight park. I have a link somewhere that provides details about each totem pole. Kind of like a self-guided tour. We'll also walk around Creek Street for a short time and go into a couple art galleries. I've e-mailed a couple places about fishing from the bridge or docks, but sofar nobody has replied.

Do you have any info or a link about the public bus to Totem Bight Park Vs the combo Totem Bight Park & City tour $37 on the excursion website.

What is the cost and availability of public transportation to Toten Bight park? Is there any reason to pre-book?

Marty

We did floatplane with Sea Wind Aviation. GREAT. We saw brown bear close up. Friends did the ziplining (we did it in Juneau) and they loved it also.

Ketchikan had a lot of neat shops as well so it is a good port to just walk around if that is all you have time for.

I couldn't find the cost of the public bus. I see that the link you gave me the cost was $2 less than booking through the cruise line. Is there any benefit in booking now or do you think I can wait till we get there?

Marty

Rain Forrest Sanctuary

or

Thanks

Saxman Village is about 3 miles south,take local bus ,every 30 mins from outside the Tourist Office $2 fare.Here you will see totem poles being carved,for those that have cruised on the Radiance of the Seas,the pole on deck 12 was carved here,Go early beat the cruise trippers.

We are wondering which might be a better tour to do - Totem Bight? or Saxman? Local bus? or 'tour'?

Ketchican sounds interesting, but we can only walk/stand a limited amount so need a 'mild' activity level - so probably couldn't walk around the town for long.

We have helicopter booked for Juneau, so wanted to do something 'local' in Ketchikan.

Thanks for any help!

My mom can't be up walking all day either. We're doing the Totem bight Park. Take the city bus across from the eagle statue (heading north). Times are 8:45, 9:45, 10:45 and so on up until 6:45 pm. You would need to walk a couple hundred yards to the park itself. Coming back you can take it at 9:15, 10:15, 11:15 and so on up until 7:15 pm (these are weekday times). Not sure about the weekend. Cost is 50 cents (senior) each way, or $1.00 regular price each way. Go to www. dnr.state.ak.us/parks/units/totempol.com and print out all sorts of info on what you'll be seeing. I use to work in Ketchikan. Only made it to Totem Bight one time, but I did prefer it to Saxman - just a personal preference however.

Caroline

Rain Forrest Sanctuary

or

Thanks

If you have kids, I heard the lumberjack show will be quite fun for them

Thanks, Caroline, for the info about Totem Bight Park - sounds like it will suit us 'old birds'!! :D

Guess we have to poke around the town on our own and just quit when we can't go anymore!

We really enjoyed the Saxman tour. We were very impressed with the pride that showed in the people there. They were proud of their culture, and were happy to share with the visitors. The dancers were interesting, and it was neat to see the totems being carved. We were very pleased with this tour. Afterwards, we went to the Lumberjack show, which was fun.

Archived