Availability of Diabetic choices on Princess

Casshew

Princess has very limited sugar-free dessert options. They have one item listed on the menu during every meal in the main restaurants. I have never found them to be very good. While on the Coral earlier this year, I ordered the sugar-free chocolate mousse, which came with whipped cream on the top. It was alright, but I liked the whipped cream! I asked the server for some more of the sugar-free whipped cream, to enjoy with the mixed berries we had at our table. She told me that they do not have sugar-free whipped cream in the kitchen, and the whipped cream that was on the chocolate mousse contained sugar. Our head waiter confirmed this with the chef. I found it to be ridiculous that they would put sugar into a dessert that they list as sugar-free!

Overall, Princess has the worst selection of sugar-free desserts out of the cruise lines I have traveled. On Holland America, they have a sugar-free display on both sides of the lido buffet, which generally contain multiple sugar-free desserts. On Princess you have to ask someone for a sugar-free dessert at the buffet. I have found this to be quite inconvenient, as you then must wait for them to go see if they have any old sugar-free desserts somewhere in the kitchen. Many times they return to inform you that they could not find anything sugar-free.

Best of luck and have a great cruise!

Actually, I'm not a big dessert eater, so the dessert issue doesn't bother me so much. It's more the whole wheat pasta I'd like to know about. They have lots of nice pasta dishes, I'd like to be able to have some - but with whole wheat.

As I recall from my last cruise there were lots of whole wheat breads/rolls at dinner and on the buffet so that's no problem.

On our fairly recent Island Princess cruise (March this year), I too found it a real challenge to keep my blood sugar in check, but I survived by shoving aside all the potatoes, rice etc. and asking for more vegetables. Desserts were really difficult, because there was rarely more than one sugar-less offering, so I stayed with small servings of sherbet or frozen yoghurt or ordered a fruit plate. From what I heard the breads and rolls were wonderful, but those jack me up especially, so I avoided them too. To make a long story short, it takes some serious gastronomical navigating, major self-control, and I lost 5 lbs in the bargain. I'll see if I can talk to the Maitre D' at the start of our next cruise! My "problem" is already in my cruise personalizer as well although I'm sure I'll simply have to look out for myself.

I do not have much experience with whole wheat pasta or brown rice on Princess. I assume that you could substitute these whole grain options if they have the pasta or rice onboard. If it is important to you, perhaps you could bring a box of pasta with you and ask them to cook it for you.

I also do not have experience asking for whole wheat pasta or brown rice on a cruise, but I'll bet if you ask for it a day in advance they would have it for you. Talk to the head waiter.

I am a "mild" diabetic or pre-diabetic. I am able to keep things under control by just steering clear of the breads and trying to behave myself around the sweets. I thoroughly enjoy the Princess sugar free desserts. I find they are delicious and lots less filling than the regular desserts. If the choice doesn't appeal to you, you can always ask for sugar free ice cream. You might not always get your choice of flavors with the ice cream, but they are very good. Good luck!

I will definately talk to the head waiter. I'm newly diagnoses (in May) so I am still getting my blood sugar under control, my cruise is still 4 months away so hopefully I will be in a better situation by then.

I am a "mild" diabetic or pre-diabetic. I am able to keep things under control by just steering clear of the breads and trying to behave myself around the sweets.

Same here. On last week's cruise on the Adventure of the Seas I pretty much stuck to my more meals/smaller portions diet. A cruise was actually better suited for this since the buffets are pretty much available at all waking hours. Only one evening my reading was higher (137) than I like, but that was after eating 7 of the 9 chocolate covered strawberries room service left for me....... =)

I watch my sugar too and found that if I stayed away from bread for the most part, pasta, potatoes and dessert, I was fine! I tasted these things when my dh ordered them. I usually had the fruit (which was delish) or the cheese course for dessert. I also lost weight on the cruise, and I ate alot!

Archived