Glass Bottom boat --Help

Giantfan13

My DW doesn't swim and she wants to see some fish, so we think one of the Glass bottom Boat tours would be great. I have looked around and see that there are several available. Is there one better than the other??> One we were looking at says it is 3 1/2 hour, another is 2 1/2 hours. Has anyone done this and can anyone recommend a good outfit. seems the price is about the same, $35.00 a person.

Also, we are looking to do a horseback riding excursion. Also, I have seen several options. Can some one recommend which one may be better than the other. We are both Seniors and really not beach people, so we are looking at other options. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated on either option.

As a "senior" who has taken a glass-bottom boat tour, I would say that two and a half hours will probably give you as much time as you want. Most of the time you are looking down onto schools of fish--yellowtail snappers seem most anxious to please--but anywhere we have visited in the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico, we have been astonished with the variety of species frolicking just below the surface--what we saw from the glass-bottomed boat has turned us into snorkelers, even to the point of getting prescription lenses for our presbyopic eyes!

The reason I would suggest the shorter tour is that even with a roof or other sunshade over your head, you WILL get a lot of tropical heat and light reflected from the water surface outside the boat, and the effect tends to be exhausting although seldom hazardous. USE YOUR SUNBLOCK! Usually the tour providers will carry plenty of water and other beverages aboard for you, usually free, but the fun of consuming them diminishes over time. Unless you are experienced fishermen, you will find the tropic splendor a bit much after a while.

Ordinarily perhaps fifteen minutes to a half hour is spent racing out to a likely fishhole, perhaps half an hour or forty-five minutes is spent looking at what is available there, another few minutes is spent racing to a second location that may harbor turtles or eels or sharks or anything handy that wasn't in the first location, you watch them for as long as your heart desires, and then it is time to head in. But after all, when have you wanted to watch a movie that was three and a half hours long? More is not always better!

Can't help you with the horses, and I suggest you start a separate topic about that subject, as there are plenty of cowboys out there in Internet Cruise Land! :rolleyes:

The currents around Cozumel can be really hazardous, and we have never attempted to snorkel there. If I were interested in the attempt, I would be inclined to trust the resources discovered by my cruise line: I am sure any tour they have examined would have experienced personnel for guides and crew and captains, and adequate safety equipment for an enjoyable and safe experience.

But my advice on this subject is NOT informed by experience in Cozumel. A glass-bottom boat trip, which of course was the subject of this topic, might be quite enjoyable for a group your size, and all of them that I have seen are large enough to accommodate everyone safely.

I am sorry I don't have more information for you. My physician enjoys SCUBA diving from his elected resort on Cozumel, but even he, who had a wonderful time, observed on his return that the currents there were always a matter of concern.

We went on the Carnival arranged shore excursion last April on the sub-ocean view. The boat was a "semi-submarine", so we were below the water-line in the hull of the boat. It was air-conditioned and very comfortable. We had three generations of our family along and everyone enjoyed it. Hope this helps.

The currents around Cozumel can be really hazardous, and we have never attempted to snorkel there. If I were interested in the attempt, I would be inclined to trust the resources discovered by my cruise line: I am sure any tour they have examined would have experienced personnel for guides and crew and captains, and adequate safety equipment for an enjoyable and safe experience.

But my advice on this subject is NOT informed by experience in Cozumel. A glass-bottom boat trip, which of course was the subject of this topic, might be quite enjoyable for a group your size, and all of them that I have seen are large enough to accommodate everyone safely.

I am sorry I don't have more information for you. My physician enjoys SCUBA diving from his elected resort on Cozumel, but even he, who had a wonderful time, observed on his return that the currents there were always a matter of concern.

Actually I have never seen a person complain about the current on the west side of the island.. Just the east... Plenty of great snorkel trips per day..

Archived