Piraeus/Athens transfer

Our MSC Opera shall be docking at Piraeus from 8:00am to 5:00pm on Sept.21, Friday. Two of us have been to Athens a few times (all by shore excursions) and would like to venture to Athens's Syntagma area ourselves this time. The Metro Line 1 ride (30 min?) seems efficient but if the Green Line bus #040 ride (60 min?) will stop next to the cruise shp terminal, it may not be a bad alternative. Thanks for sharing your insight on both routes.

Τhe bus stop is a bit closer to the cruise station, but I would prefer the metro.

You can walk to the metro station but I would suggest taking a taxi.

It shouldn't be more than 3 euros for the ride..depends on the traffic though.

Last time at Piraeus port, no taxi driver there was willing to go to the metro station by meter. So depends on how much closer the green line #040 bus stop AND the frequency/ride time are, we may keep it as a backup option. Thanks for provide us more detail on the bus route.

:) does the #40 or 040 bus take you directly to athens or just to the metro station in Piraeus??:)

Last time at Piraeus port, no taxi driver there was willing to go to the metro station by meter. So depends on how much closer the green line #040 bus stop AND the frequency/ride time are, we may keep it as a backup option. Thanks for provide us more detail on the bus route.

I would use the metro because its actually much faster and the traffic in Athens can be really awful. A very important WARNING about that subway/train line. It has become a full employment opportunity for some gangs of gypsies who have been working this line for years. The fact that many regular travelers are aware of these pickpocket gangs makes one wonder why the Greek police seem to be oblivious. But, when you get near the station and especially are on the train, take every possible precaution to protect your valuables. I once tried to warn a fellow cruise passenger who insisted on carrying his wallet in his back pocket. He told me it was no problem since his pocket had a button. That evening when I saw him on the ship he told me that both his wallet and the button had disappeared on the Pireaus -Athens subway. Enough said!

Hank

The #040 bus takes you from Piraeus main square to Syntagma square in the center of Athens.

It can take from 40 minutes to well more than an hour depending on traffic.

So be aware that you may not have enough time to enjoy your walk in the city.

Anyway, I am aware of the problem with taxi drivers, but I think that eventually somenone will pick you up. I understand that they try to make you feel that they are doing you a favor. They don't!!

They have to take you to the point you want, using the meter.

If it's early, it's not so hot and you feel like walking (and you are in the part of the "cruise terminal" where you see office buildings and not appartment buildings) the walk to the metro station is not long.

Pickpockets exist as they exist in most metro systems around the world...You shouldn't carry wallets and phones etc. in backpacks. Be aware that there are some gypsies and other beggars. Most of the time the money they get is going for their drug addiction and not for the 6-8 children or their dying father as they say :(

The #040 bus goes to Athens's Syntagma square, not Monastiraki as mentioned. They are on the same main avenue about 15-20 minutes walking apart only. If we know where the bus loads us at the nearest Piraeus cruise ship terminal stop, it'll be very helpful.

The nearest to port bus stop of #040 is in Piraeus "Dimotiko Theatro" square.

It means "municipal theater". It is 3-4 blocks from the waterfront.

I really can't find a map right now.

If I find I will attach it!

This map was the best I could find, I'm sure that others exist out there :), maybe better.

Red= possible berths for your cruise ship

Blue= square where #040 is

Black= Metro station

Be aware that there is a slight possibility due to traffic in the port that your ship will dock in another part of the port and you might have to use a shuttle bus.

taror61_.jpg.0f746b46e4831a58bd052b516ef3162d.jpg

No, they are just no so close to the center of Piraeus.

In the following map, with black are the berths near the entrance of the port and with red the berths closer to the center.

If your ship is at the "black docks" it is possible that there will be a shuttle service between the two (black-red).

I'm sorry for the funny looking drawings but i was never good with paint!

vp8ht7nd.jpg.cfa44e7742d1018c67c51e0e5c8d0edd.jpg

Giorgosz, you did the drawing good..... We've been docking in the red area all the 3 times before (Princess/HAL/Celebrity). But our MSC may be docking at the black zone (for cargo) this time. Will see.

Thanks a lot for all the insights you pass along here so far.

Archived