Carnival excursions Costa Rica/Belize

sme

DW and I are interested to know about the excursions offered by Carnival in Belize and Costa Rica. I know we pay more by using Carnival, but in these to locations I am willing to pay the extra for saftey concerns. My wife isn't really interested in the zip-line or tubing experiences, so something a little more laid back would be good.

Any suggestions of good trips and ones to stay away from would be helpful. Thanks.

I would suggest doing the private island beach break in Belize with Carnival. It was just a day on a private island sitting on the beach with a few drinks. We also had some people that did the snuba in Belize and loved it. As for Costa Maya, we did a private company beach party. Search for Costa Maya Cruise excursions. We did the beach party. Check out the ports pages on this website. They should have some good suggestions. Honestly, we had no problems and never had any concern for our safety in either of these ports.

I would suggest doing the private island beach break in Belize with Carnival. It was just a day on a private island sitting on the beach with a few drinks. We also had some people that did the snuba in Belize and loved it. As for Costa Maya, we did a private company beach party. Search for Costa Maya Cruise excursions. We did the beach party. Check out the ports pages on this website. They should have some good suggestions. Honestly, we had no problems and never had any concern for our safety in either of these ports.

The sloth santuary in Costa Rica if you go into the port of Limon. You can also get off the ship and get a driver for the day to take you around, we did and had a great time and much cheaper than carnival individual tours.

We missed Costa Rica on our Legend cruise in February but for Belize I can highly recommend Altun Ha and Wallace River excursion. They took us to Altun Ha first on an air conditioned bus with a very nice the ruins aren't the largest but they give you an idea of how things were. The second part of the excursion is on a speed boat on the wallace river. We were dropped off at a nice resort type place first for lunch on our own. The food was very tasty. The river tour was great and we saw a family of howler monkeys, alligators, bats and lots of iguanas sunning themselves. It is not a very stressfull excursions so if you aren't in the greatest of shape you can still manage it. There is also enough time to shop around at the pier when you get back. We had enough time to shop plus go to a Belize bank to exchange some traveller's cheques. We enjoyed it so much that we plan on taking our sons on it in March when we are on the Miracle.

I can tell you what not to do:)

If you are not a strong swimmer, or don't feel comfortable in possibly rough water, avoid Goff's Caye Snorkeling excursion -- although the island afterwards was very nice.

I would advise against striking out on your own in Belize City. I personally did not feel safe in the city itself, but we did cross the street just beyond the "compound" where the tender drops you off and got much better deals than inside the fenced off area.

I second the Altun Ha excursion, we also did the City Tour which was actually really good (better than the Nassau City Tour).

I look forward to going back in a few years, taking this excursion again and seeing how they've progressed.

I can tell you what not to do:)

If you are not a strong swimmer, or don't feel comfortable in possibly rough water, avoid Goff's Caye Snorkeling excursion -- although the island afterwards was very nice.

I would advise against striking out on your own in Belize City. I personally did not feel safe in the city itself, but we did cross the street just beyond the "compound" where the tender drops you off and got much better deals than inside the fenced off area.

Repete,

Is the water always rough at Goff's Caye? I was thinking of doing that excursion, except I hear they have no restaurants or bars there.

Sally

Lay back type of excursion, we took the Dole Banana Plantation excursion in Costa Rica, thats a pretty good one. In Belize, the Goff Cayes for some beach relaxation. This tiny island looks like Gilligans Island.

Fred

Repete,

Is the water always rough at Goff's Caye? I was thinking of doing that excursion, except I hear they have no restaurants or bars there.

Sally

No rough waters there, lots of reefs and stuff to look at, they do have a shack that serves drinks and food.

Fred

Fred,

Can you snorkel the reef from the beach or do you have to get on the boat. I'm looking for lots of coral.

Thanks,

Sally

The Belize Barrier Reef are not too far from the beach, maybe 50 yards, but becareful thats where the big tiger sharks hang out, just on the other side of the reef, the actual beach area is safe and there is alot to see right there.

Fred

You'll find lots of ideas and suggestions on those particular ports in the ports of call forums. We did the Green Train in Costa Rica which goes through the jungle to the banana plantation. A great ride, but very bumpy. In Belize, we did the City Tour which was pretty much a waste of time. Better to get outside of Belize City to appreciate the beauty of the country.

DW and I are interested to know about the excursions offered by Carnival in Belize and Costa Rica. I know we pay more by using Carnival, but in these to locations I am willing to pay the extra for saftey concerns. My wife isn't really interested in the zip-line or tubing experiences, so something a little more laid back would be good.

Any suggestions of good trips and ones to stay away from would be helpful. Thanks.

If you do a search on the Carnival site for Bannister Island, I posted a question with a thread of Bannister Island who's been and got great responses. You can do this excursion thru Carnival, it is under Belize shore excursions and the Private Beach Island I think the price is around $40-$45 gives you 4.5 hours that includes travel time to the island.

Its what we are doing when we visit Belize in August.

Susan

Archived