The Sunshine Bridge Tampa FL

sanditoes4

All ships leaving from Tampa will go under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. It will take you approximately 2 hours to reach the bridge from the Port of Tampa. The ship will have to navigate the shipping channel before reaching the bridge. Since it is a narrow channel it takes a while to reach the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. It also depends on how many other ships are leaving the port at the same time or how many ships are coming into port.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, those who have early dinner will miss the experience of passing under the bridge. It is surprising how close some of the superstructure of the ship comes to the bottom of the bridge.

Paul

I have sailed twice out of Tampa, but I have ever witnessed the passing under the bridge. Does it have lights on it after dark? I sail in Novembers and it is dark by the time we reach it. Just wondering what I am missing!:cool: Thanks! Deb

If you have the 1st dinner seating I would skip it the first night to witness going under the Skyway. You will pass under it about 2 hours after leaving the port. The lights on the bridge are the diagonal "beams" you see. They are actually yellow lights. Really cool when lit. I am hoping the DOT is finished with repainting them when we sail at the end of September. They were supposed to be done by then but from what I see each day they are behind schedule. Oh well, it will still be cool to sail under the bridge.

Way cool....thanks everyone....I kind of lost track of this thread....but how fun.....I sure can not wait to go under here myself!!!

I think I will either skip supper that night or ask to be excused and return when I am done!!!????

Thanks again....I love this site!!!

Archived