Lamani or Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary?

murphysmum

Hi...I asked on another post if if was possible to see both of these places (Lamanai and Crooked Tree) in one day with a private guide. It looks like, from what I've been reading, it's an either or.

For those who have done both, do you have a preference and why?

I've been to several major pyramids, so it's not critical to see Lamani. I liked the idea of going by river boat and seeing wildlife, but it looks like a boat through Crooked Tree Wildlife would accomplish this as well as the boat to Lamanai.

I've also considered just going to the Howler Monkey Sanctuary (I loved the Howlers in Tikal, but didn't see them up close).

Too many choices. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

murphysmum;)

Sorry to ask again...I posted this yesterday and I think that perhaps more people will be on the boards today.

Just a description of a trip to the Crooked Tree Wildlife Santuary by boat would be really helpful.

Thanks..if there's anyone out there who's been there before.

murphysmum;)

• 2 weeks later...

Crooked Tree is "33 miles northwest of Belize City," Lamanai is "best reached by air or a boat ride up the New River."* If you go--up a highway--to Crooked Tree, you will still be on the wrong side of the New River for Lamanai, and there is NOT a direct land route.

As to choosing, I suppose you have to decide whether you want to see lots of animals (assuming you see any at all), or lots of antiquities. The tour booking people we are using--who are native to Belize--are more enthusiastic about the "Lamanai and New River Boat Tour" than anything else they have to offer. But we expect to be in Belize long enough to do a lot of things. Unfortunately we will not be there until January 2008. :rolleyes:

*--Explore Belize 2007

Haven't been to Crooked Tree which I know is what you're really looking for, but we very much enjoyed Lamanai last March. We did see quite alot of flora and fauna on the boat trip - orchids, birds, crocs as well as native and Mennonite (sp?) fishermen on the river. Also saw a troop of howler monkeys at the ruins. None of this is guaranteed of course, but our guide did his best to search things out for us which was really great. The ruins were also very interesting, particularly given the history of how they were built. The one pyramid that you are allowed to climb affords a view from above the top of the jungle canopy which is also pretty awesome.

Hello...

Thanks to both of you for the information. Now that I know there's no land bridge between Crooked Tree and Lamani I can focus on making a choice.

I think the river trip to Lamani sounds great. I've been to Altun Ha before; the countryside was beautiful and Altun Ha was nice, but Lamani sounds a little more "raw", right in the middle of jungle.

We're cruising on the Quest from Acapulco through the Panama Canal and will stop at several Central American ports so I'll get my chance to see several "pure" animal parks.

Thanks again!

Happy sailing...

murphysmum;)

Hi murphysmum!

There seems to be a lot of "wood" floating down the Nieuw River--at least Brickwood could give you an informed appraisal, and I too am grateful to him, as his description has whetted my appetite to visit Lamanai!

There will never be enough pyramids in the world to make me tired of them--when I think of the enormous human effort that went into constructing them, I feel the least I can do is admire as many of them as possible before I need to enter one myself. But perhaps I am an enthusiast . . . . :rolleyes:

Sounds like you will have a wonderful cruise! I hope you will take time when you return to share your experiences with us!

Best wishes and sunny sailing!

Doug

We have been thinking of doing a Lamani tour with a private tour guide....Im just concerned with the time.....we're in port 8-5......the tour is 6-7 1/2 hrs.....doesnt seem like much spare time....just in case...

Believe me, tour operators are more worried about getting you to the church on time than you will ever need to be! We have in Mexico gone from Cozumel across to the mainland, driven inland to Coba, toured four and a half miles into Coba, driven back to Playa del Carmen, taken the 45-minute ferry ride back, and never came close to being late.

I suppose if you managed to get bitten by a particularly energetic snake there might be a problem, a very different sort of problem, but I sure wouldn't worry about not making it back to the boat. ;)

Archived