Skyride to Paradise Point

cruislovin

Last time I did this, it was a just a little bit cheaper to go on your own and if you have AAA, you got a discount - go figure! Sometimes people forget that St. Thomas is part of the USA.

It is a just a short walk over to Paradise Point. You have to try the Bushwacker! They are the best. The view is so awesome up there. lots of cute little shops. Doesn't take long - unless you want it to. We did that and took a taxi to Coki Beach and still had time for shopping before heading to the ship. I'm planning a second trip that way in spring of '08 and might have to squeeze this in again. Didn't know about AAA discount! Great Tip.

Enjoy!;)

We did this about a year ago on our own. We walked over and bought tickets directly from Paradise Point. Oddly enough, we found that the tickets were selling for a bit less through the cruise ship.

Our intent was for that day to be very leisurely and laid back since we'd been to St. Thomas before. Plus, it was the first stop on a port-intensive southern caribbean cruise. We truly enjoyed our time up there. We actually wound up spending a couple of hours talking to a couple who had moved to St. Thomas from the states.

We had a very enjoyable day. Though the day was hot, we had a very nice breeze along with a great view.

We hope you enjoy it!

We usually go up to Paradise Point every time we're in St Thomas just to have a drink and see the view. The view has to be one of the most beautiful anywhere. We always buy tickets there in case we decide not to go for some reason.

Here are some pictures taken from Paradise Point to show you what the view looks like:

http://www.familytravelfun.com/stthomasphoto.html

http://www.familytravelfun.com/st-thomas-picture.html

• 2 weeks later...

How scary is this ride? Does the car face the mountain side or the beach side? I am afraid of heights but do some of these things anyway. :D Last time we were in St Thomas we took the tour to Mountain Top and those narrow hairpin roads really scared me, I thought this might be a quicker way to go. If you went to the beach from there did you take the tram back down and then a taxi or could you take a taxi from the top to one of the beaches?

One question?

How much are the Bushwacker's?

I know for $18 you can go roundtrip, but it doesn't include a drink.

For the AAA discount, do I have to show my card? On the Paradise Tram site it doesn't mention AAA discount, nor on the AAA website does it mention St. thomas.

We paid $25 each for the skyride up, down again and a Bushwacker drink. (Delicious!:D) and included a souvenir mug in the shape of a cable car.

We saw the birdshow, which was fun. There are 3 of these a day.

The views from the top were fantastic, and there are some shops too.

You can get to the top by road if you didn't want to do the skyride.

If you are sailing on a Princess ship, you'll dock at Crown Bay which is too far to walk to Havensight to catch the skyride. The taxi ride is about $4/$5 to get to the base of the skyride. They will wait to fill up a taxi before setting off.

How scary is this ride? Does the car face the mountain side or the beach side? I am afraid of heights but do some of these things anyway. :D Last time we were in St Thomas we took the tour to Mountain Top and those narrow hairpin roads really scared me, I thought this might be a quicker way to go. If you went to the beach from there did you take the tram back down and then a taxi or could you take a taxi from the top to one of the beaches?

our experience with the ride has been a couple of years, but i don't think it has changed much....you can look out any direction from the cable car, the view toward the beach is absolutely wonderful....cabs to other spots can be found at the bottom of the ride, the only thing that drives to the top are cabs and tour vans filled with people who paid to drive up there...we chose not to take the ship tour and walked from the ship...a very easy walk.

as you leisurely walk around at the top (and you can go back down whenever you like) you will see groups walking around and overhear parts of their tour lectures on history and the island...there is a little nature trail...and a wonderful view of the ships...we missed the parrot show when we went, it is given at certain times, but we did enjoy a cool drink, took lots of pictures and wandered the shops....very relaxing morning.

have a great trip!

Bevery

I didn't get to see the parrot show but did get my picture with all the birds. They put the birds on your head, shoulders and hands. They will either take a Polaroid or you can use your own camera. I cannot remember the price but it wasn't much. I do remember that it was raining and I was soaking wet and the bird on my head peed on my back.:o

Archived