7nt Norwegian Spirit vs 5nt Carnival Fantasy Nov. New Orleans

amlandry

I've never cruised before and am considering one for my honeymoon. We're 31 and 27. I'm from Louisiana and am considering 2 different cruises. One is a 7 night out on the Norwegian Spirit and the other is a 5 night on the Carnival. Do either offer discounts for being in state? What are the pros and cons of these ships/food/excursions. I'm really concerned about the "extras" you have to pay for. I think I can get both of them for about the same price. Any suggestions? Also, what level or rooms should I pick. We'll probably stay in an inside cabin, but I'm worried about being sea sick.

I thank you in advance!

If you can get either for the same price, Id take the 7 night, lol.

The cabin that you should be least seasick in is middle inside, the lowest level, but I know some that say they need fresh air or they need to see out and then feel fine. Choose mid ship and low though if you are concerned about being sea sick and just bring some Bonine, I like the chewable 24 hour stuff, you dont have to take it as often...just in case. We do just in case of bad weather.

You can do a private excursion, you dont have to do one thru the ship to save some $ but of course be carefull. There are threads here on CC for each port you might want to check thru once you decide which ports you will visit.

I have been on Fantasy and am going on Spirit in January so I don't know the difference yet. Book a room in the middle on a lower deck (firefly33). Do research on your ports from this board. Go to Ports and choose the places that you are going to and read, read, and read! We always book excursions on our own but I tend to know the rules. Book with a reputable agency and schedule the tour as soon as you dock. Give yourself a few hours at the end of the day between your excursion and when the ship leaves.

Keep posting on these boards and you will get lots of help. A rule of thumb that I use is $100 per person per day. I try to stick to that budget.

Buy Bonine and take it when you start feeling queezy. It works for us.

One difference between the ships is on Fantasy you have to eat at a certain time in the dining room and on Spirit you can go at anytime. There are no extra pay restaurants on Fantasy and there are several on Spirit.

Personally, I would rather take a 5 night Carnival cruise over a 7 night NCL cruise. I don't believe that you will have any trouble with seasickness, but bring something that works for you just in case. A 5 night cruise will be a good test. I believe that you will be like most of us after our first cruise and will desire to take another.

I am not a fan of NCL Freestyle. It did not work for us. I did not like the food that was served in the main dinning rooms or buffet for lunch or dinner. The food that was served in the specialty restaurants was good, as was the breakfast that was served in the main dinnning room. I am not loyal to any line, if you had stated a 7 day cruise with any other line compared to a 5 day Carnival cruise, I would have recommended the 7 day cruise. Carnival really is a very good cruise line, especially for someone your age. You will have a great time, and the food served on Carnival is very good, even their pizza that is served 24 hours a day. Carnival is not my favorite cruise line, but it is very good. Go ahead, take that first cruise, I'm confident that you won't be sorry.

I've never cruised before and am considering one for my honeymoon. We're 31 and 27. I'm from Louisiana and am considering 2 different cruises. One is a 7 night out on the Norwegian Spirit and the other is a 5 night on the Carnival. Do either offer discounts for being in state? What are the pros and cons of these ships/food/excursions. I'm really concerned about the "extras" you have to pay for. I think I can get both of them for about the same price. Any suggestions? Also, what level or rooms should I pick. We'll probably stay in an inside cabin, but I'm worried about being sea sick.

I thank you in advance!

We sailed on the Spirit from New York last September and loved it. The inside cabins are quite small so I would advise an ocean view cabin. The staff was very friendly and the ship is spotless. We like the idea of free style dining, There are 4 restaurants that don't charge extra and you can eat whenever you feel like it. I havn''t been on Carnival but I have heard they can be a bit noisy as people tend to party more. It depends whar you are looking for.

How can you get the 7 night the same price as the 5 night? When I was checking I priced both and at that time the 7 night was about $300 more per person :rolleyes: What are the prices you got? Right now we are booked for the Fantasy to sail on 4/19/08 for $697 for inside and $797 for OV for a 5 night. Next time we go we will be looking at the 7 night I think. Since this is our first we wanted cheaper and shorter.

Danielle

Right you are. If you look on all the major travel sites like expedia and travelocity, the 7 night Norwegian is considerably more expensive. I found a travel agent who had advertised on eBay. Apparently, a year or so ago, she booked a group cruise at reduced prices. She then sells the individual rooms later when the prices are even more elevated.

The inside cabin on NCL was $514 through this TA, and the 5 night oceanview on the Carnival Fantasy was about $500 through expedia. We were going to sacrafice the oceanview in order to stay out longer. That was the plan when I originally posted. Since that time, she sold out of the inside cabin, so we splurged and went with the oceanview for $674 per person.

Hope this helps.

I think you got a good deal on your cruise. You will have a great time, and I hope this is just the first of many cruises yet to come your way. I believe that you will have a great time.

O I got ya. Your price of $674 pp, the prices I listed are for couples $797 for 2 in an OV room so that is only $398 per person, sorry about that. I guess that is why I didnt go on the other b/c I remember it being a few hundered more. I guess our prices were so bad $398 pp OV and $348 IS with all port charges an all?:eek:

Thanks,

Danielle

Archived