Public transport from Coral Gables to South Beach?

suekay

We are staying 2 days post cruise at the Westin Colonnade in Coral Gables, and want to see South Beach while we are staying in Miami. Is it possible to get there on public transport? (we like to experience local life rather than be isolated in a taxi:) ) Thanks for any help

We are staying 2 days post cruise at the Westin Colonnade in Coral Gables, and want to see South Beach while we are staying in Miami. Is it possible to get there on public transport? (we like to experience local life rather than be isolated in a taxi:) ) Thanks for any help

Sure.get the metrorail from coral gables to downtown/ S bus to south beach,ticket rail/bus transfer

WEB miamidade.gov/transit, for all you info

BG

You could but it probably isn't an experience you want in this lifetime.

The easiest, quickest, least stressful way would be to grab a cab. Plenty of locals take cabs.

Can I ask why? Dangerous? Dirty?

I'm usually quite adventurous when with DH, but this is a "girlie" (well......mature girlie:o ) week and 2 of the others are wimps:)

Looks like we'll be in a taxi!!

Can I ask why? Dangerous? Dirty?

I'm usually quite adventurous when with DH, but this is a "girlie" (well......mature girlie:o ) week and 2 of the others are wimps:)

Looks like we'll be in a taxi!!

It takes forever. Not particularly dirty and not particularly dangerous but Miami isn't a public transportation city they way DC, New York, Chicago and other big cities are.

It is a shame. I think it is Miami's total lack of city planning. Miami just sort of sprouted up during the cocaine heyday of the 1980s.

What a load of rubbish,obviously you do not know Miami

Well I lived in Miami on and off over the years for a total of more than 10 years - and visited many many times for business and fun; as well as port calls with my ships.

I do not recommend public transportation in Miami; esp after dark....I made that same recommendation to my crews. There are exceptions .... MetroRail is generally safe. But you can not easily get from CG/Mir' Mile to MetroRail and it doesn't go to SooBe anyway .... just getting from the Gables to MetroRail can get you into neighborhoods that....well shall we say can either be

a) an exciting adventure for a tourist

or

b) an experience where you were someplace you were not welcome - they let you know it - and you can then have lively dreams for the rest of your life!

Take taxi's or go whole hog and rent a Limo for the nite.

P.S. I generally don't recommend renting a car either. Miami should be easy to navigate, but my time living there proved otherwise. One road can have seven names and use 3 of them in two miles. Where else can you get driving directions like :turn north on southeast seventh ave?

P.S.2 Despite my recommendations my crews took buses and/or walked places I wouldn't. Never lost one....one ended up in intensive care confirming walking down MacArthur Causway at night is a bad idea....but never lost one. So if you are a lover of adventure :cool:

I live in miami and I have to agree with Blue....the city has had poor planning and corupt leaders and the one of the things I hate here is the public transportation. It is senseless and unreliable and anyone is better off taking a cab.

Hmmm nice:(

We'll be staying in Miami for 4 days, pre and post cruise, those will be expensive transport day I'm afraid

Our first trip into Miami many,many years ago was all taxis, now,we stay several days at a time ,Downtown mostly, and we use public transport.

Had a hired car April 07,parked in the garage of the Intercontintental,Back at xmas after we get off Brilliance,will gain stay 4 days,

Be sensible where and when you go.

miami dade transit site worth looking at.

BG

No I don't but my sister and brother in law and live in Miam Beachi and my parents live part time in Key West so I spend a lot of time in Miami.

If you click on my name you'll find that I do know Miami and South Florida quite well.

Archived