Disney to port of miami

powelweb

Ok, florida locals, we'll be heading to Disney for a few days before driving down to Miami for our cruise in Mid-december.

What should we expect in terms of travel time (we'd be driving on a monday morning)? What about construction or other delays?

The routes from AAA's triptik came up with the Florida turnpike from disney down to I95.

Anything else we should know?

thanks in advance, and happy cruising

Wendy

There are a few construction places along Florida's Turnpike but nothing major that I'm aware of. Sounds like you'll be avoiding rush hour which should make the journey quite easy. Travel time from Disney to the Port of Miami will run you about 4 hours; more if you make stops. There are service plazas along the Turnpike at 45 minute intervals offering a variety of restaurants, snacks, gift shop and (supposed to be) clean restrooms. There is also gasoline.

From Disney World there are a couple routes to get to the Turnpike. The most direct would be to take the Osceola Parkway east bound across Kissimmee and get on the Turnpike south from there. Osceola Parkway is a toll road. Or you can take I-4 eastbound to the Beachline Expressway (TOLL 528) and then pick up the Turnpike south when you come to the interchange. While the 528 is a toll road too, there are no tolls from I-4 to the Turnpike.

Florida's Turnpike is also a toll road (of course) using two different toll-collection methods. South of Kissimmee you'll get a ticket at the Three Lakes Toll Plaza which you'll retain and then turn in when you get off the Turnpike or at the mainline plaza near Lantana. You'll pay the toll at that stage. South of Lantana the Turnpike has more toll plazas at regular intervals in which you pay a toll at each plaza. Eventually the Turnpike merges into I-95 north of Miami and the rest of the drive is then free via I-95. You can save toll money by leaving the Turnpike at Fort Pierce and switching over to I-95 there.

BobK/Orlando

The triptik was showing some possible construction on both the turnpike and I 95, so I wanted to get an idea of how really that might be.

We'll probably pack some snacks and videos to occupy the kids during the drive.

really appreciate the info!

Happy sailings,

Wendy

We generally try to avoid I-95 from Ft. Pierce south,local traffic can be bad. Wouldn,t know about current construction on either route. See that someone gave you links on construction,great. Bill

Archived