Carnival Liberty Review 7/15/07 - 7/21/07

mar5762

This was a western sail, Freeport, Bahamas, Grand Caymand and Costa Maya.

Embarkation was quick and easy. We had a party of 20 and the only hold up was me :-) We had 2 teenage boys and wanted them in a room alone. They said they'd switch it but after 3 times trying, it was still screwed up. My advice: Go to the pursers desk and get a "key only" card. It was perfect and that way we didn't have any issues with the charges. The kids are really good so I was never worried about them being on their own. They were right next door anyway.

Stayed at the Ramada Inn cruiseport/airport prior to the cruise. It was ok but wouldn't get my recommendation. They shuttled us to the port at 11:00 and I believe we were on by 12:00. Really would have been a lot faster if we didn't have the issue we did, so I'd say it was nice and smooth.

Rooms weren't available until 1:30. Can't complain about that. We booked an inside guarantee (4A) and ended up with an 8A. How can you complain!?

We ended up on the Verandah deck which was one deck below the Lido deck. That was great. Only loud time was during the fun hop which was pretty late one night. But hey we joined in so we didn't have to put up with the noise!

This was my first time using the pools on board and now I wonder why. It was beautiful and the whirlpools were awesome. We ended up hanging out on the back of the ship in the pool and spas there.

We went to all of the shows including the midnight comedian. The first one

was absolutely hilarious. He got all of his material from the audience themselves. The second one somehow thought death and cancer would be funny. Ugh, I laughed once during his entire routine. His eyes were glazed and his tux looked like he just rolled out of bed in it. I think someone woke him up. After the first one was so funny, that one was a huge disappointment. The Around the World show was a not miss, but I didn't really enjoy the Rockin Broadway one.

There were 2 formal nights. First one was the night we had gone to Freeport and the second was the night of Costa Maya.

We did go to dinner every night in the dining room. There were some complaints about our service, but I didn't personally have any problems. There were some that actually never got what they ordered (second meal or appetizer). I did feel rushed though. I'm not sure if they're just serving too many these days or if they have overworked the staff. There were 2 dining rooms and we were right near the kitchen. I understand he had our 2 tables plus one on the other side of the kitchen. That may be where the feeling of being rushed came in. Still no complaint, everthing was awesome.

The buffet was great and had a variety. I only went there for breakfast though. Omelet station was really great to have. Fresh fruit and such so should have had enough for every taste.

They had pizza that went 24 hours and burgers and fries going for awhile. The pizza place had caesar salads there that were awesome.

I didn't get off the ship in the Bahamas, I stayed on and enjoyed the pool and hot tub. Actually there seemed to be many that did this but it was a great afternoon.

Since I spent more time in the pool this time (hey its July!) I didn't participate or watch many of the activities I had in the past. I did do TV trivia one day and went to the Art Auctions. I never thought I'd get into that but the information is actually very interesting. Of course, free champagne and now some art works of my own lol

For Grand Cayman we went to 7 mile beach. It was nice, but the bar we were near was really pricey. We also went to Sr Frogs there which has become a bit of a tradition for us. Did I mention PRICEY?? LOL That was a fun but crazy expensive day.

Costa Maya - Took the bus to Majahaual (sp?) for $3 pp. The bus doesn't come back so you take a taxi back which is $2 pp. There are guides there to make sure that you get whtqa you need there so it works out well.

Many locals selling items there. We ended up at Charlie Browns which is on the left hand side going up. $10 for 6 Coronas seemed to be the theme. We had nachos for $6, Drinks for aboutr $5.00 a piece. This spot also had lounge chairs right there for you to use and sun and shade so it worked out great. Massages were $20 for an hour and $10 - $15 for 1/2 hour.

Jetskis were $70 for an hour or they asked $45 for 1/2 hour, some with us did it for $40 for 1/2 hour and had a blast. Lots of locals walking around with jewelery and such, just remember their first price is never their last. I overpaid but figure their cost of living is a whole lot different than mine.

My room steward for inside room 8307 was Ulga I believe. In 5 trips she was definitely the best one ever. You'd be very lucky to have her along with you.

Well thats the basics, hope I didn't bore you too much but guess after all I was a bit boring :-) Hey I was on vacation!

I'd be happy to answer anything I might have encountered along the way.

Marrianne

Hi,

Sounds like you had yourself a great time. and i am glad to hear that, i will be on this ship in 49 DAYS! and i can't wait myself!! Did you happen to get any pics of the ship? our cruise goes to Key West, Grand Cayman and Jamaica!

David.

Hi,

Sounds like you had yourself a great time. and i am glad to hear that, i will be on this ship in 49 DAYS! and i can't wait myself!! Did you happen to get any pics of the ship? our cruise goes to Key West, Grand Cayman and Jamaica!

David.

Hi David

You have a lot to look forward to! I did take a lot of pictures. I honestly don't know if I walked around and took shots of the different parts of the ship. I'll probably work on getting the pics off of the camera tonight. If I do, I'll get you a link.

Marrianne

Thanks for posting your review . You sound like you had a very relaxing holiday -just the way you liked it! Isn't that what it's all about - good for you.

We're not on this ship until November , but every time a I read a new review it gets me more excited! Thanks again.:D

Thanks for the review Marrianne!

We will be on the Liberty in December. Just love reading reviews from this ship. Sounds like you had a great time. We are going with 2 first timers and am about as excited for them and am for us.

Julie

Thanks for the reveiw, we are on this itinerary next week:D

Do you remember the names of the comedians? I would like to avoid the bad one if possible. Also, what night was the Around the World show?

The Comedian I would not recommend was Tommy Drake.

The one that was a definitely DO NOT MISS if he is on there was Jim Brick. He also had a family show with juggler Victor Zuniga, also very talented and very funny. I'd highly recommend this show too. However, I'm not sure if they're regulars since they got off at one of the stops to switch with Tommy Drake I guess.

Wonderful World was the good show. That was our second night (Monday).

I've read mixed reviews about Todd Wittmer the Cruise Director. I thoroughly enjoyed him (plus he was nice to look at ;-) )

Movies under the stars is always a hit.

I'm still tuckered out. What seemed to be a relaxing vacation must still have been very very busy :-)

It was a great vacation. We stayed at the Yankee Clipper on pre-cruise and the Ramada post cruise. I would avoid the Ramada, 4 out of 6 in our party got bit by something. The Yankee Clipper was very nice. It looks like everything else was already covered.

Archived