military R&R - insurance in case dates/flights get changed last minute

Ok so, hubby has put in for his R&R dates for April. These dates are called "wish list dates". All is good with the dates until they go down the line and another soldier changes their mind on their dates. Then they go on to next person. So, BIG question is insurance. :eek:

I found one insurance on insuremytrip that had small print that said this:

revocation of the Insured's previously granted leave or re-assignment due to war. Official written revocation/re-assignment by a supervisor or commanding officer of the appropriate branch of service will be required;

Ok, so that would cover the soldier if he couldnt make it on time. But, not the family members.

Anyone have ideas or know where I can get insurance that would cover the whole family?

My husband is in the military as well and we were told by our TA not to purchase the insurance because in case of deployment or cancellation of leave, the cruise line will refund the money in full with a letter from their commanding officer stating that he cancelled the leave. This would also entitle the entire family to receive a refund, especially since you probably paid a military rate for the cruise. You cannot cruise on that rate without your spouse, unless you are also military.

We have also found this to be true with airlines (non-refundable tickets), hotels and other packages we have purchased over the years.

We have had to cancel many trips due to TDY's, PCS's or deployments and we have never had a problem getting our money back for our entire family.

We purchase trip insurance for other reasons-but not to cover canceled leave-my TA said the same-finding an insurer to cover it is hard and most places will work with you-btw my DH did get his R and R canceled-not delayed-flat out MSG Smith we are sorry but you are denied leave-it sucks but it does happen.

We purchased a policy through insuremytrip.com ... the Travel Guard Protect/Assist and it does cover canceled leave. My understanding is that the whole family is covered but I didn't look into this too closely because it is highly unlikely DH's leave would be canceled.

My husband is in the military as well and we were told by our TA not to purchase the insurance because in case of deployment or cancellation of leave, the cruise line will refund the money in full with a letter from their commanding officer stating that he cancelled the leave. This would also entitle the entire family to receive a refund, especially since you probably paid a military rate for the cruise. You cannot cruise on that rate without your spouse, unless you are also military.

We have also found this to be true with airlines (non-refundable tickets), hotels and other packages we have purchased over the years.

We have had to cancel many trips due to TDY's, PCS's or deployments and we have never had a problem getting our money back for our entire family.

I do not think the RR will get cancelled (better not since these tours are 15-18 months) but I am worried about his dates getting pushed back or up. I would have no problem even switching to another cruise if that happened. Wonder how much RCCL would work with you on that if it happened last minute?:confused:

Also, no military rate on this one...dont think it will be either since its spring break. :(

This is 3rd tour over there and I have seen how messed up these RR trips can get...makes me really stress. 1st time over he didnt get RR and 2nd time they pushed it up, WAY UP!:eek:

Thanks for the info!

How is it looking for you sailing on the Liberty of the Seas.. April 5th. Keep our board updated on how progress of booking it is going. =]

Hi! THink I am going to email RCCL and ask what they can/cannot do in this situation.

Check and see if you qualify for USAA www.usaa.com ... they're used to dealing with military situations and all of the variables therein. We've used their cruise service before and they offer insurance. It's not the best travel service (we had problems with payment and docs that got resolved), but the prices are competitive.

Last year DD and SIL were booked on our cruise with us as a coming home from deployment but they came home early and being national guard he would be back to work when we were cruising RCCL was very helpful change the reservation without any hassle or cost! It was after final payment!

Check and see if you qualify for USAA www.usaa.com ... they're used to dealing with military situations and all of the variables therein. We've used their cruise service before and they offer insurance. It's not the best travel service (we had problems with payment and docs that got resolved), but the prices are competitive.

Never knew usaa did anything with cruises! We have our insurance through them. WOW never know what you will learn here! Thanks

EDITED: I forgot to ask. what problems did you have? Was it bad? Or mild?

Archived